"vote on what should be approved"

Woofers and Tweeters

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

it has been deemed too controversial. Really. If you wanna stay abreast of covid19 just read the news and try to discern the real from the fake news. Posting here is sorta like doing a lighthearted polka in a mine field in a snowstorm. Behaving yourself has evolved to mean reading other posts and waiting to see if they survive.

I, me, deemed it too off topic. Start a new thread on it, I made that plain as day. The COVID thread, which is an anomaly, is four separate threads, all of which were locked for political, combined into one thread with all of the political removed. You can't draw a comparison with that thread, and other threads/sections on the forum. 

It's limited to current developments on treatments, vaccinations, availability, problems, etc., something of use to forum members in the real world. 

If you want to post the info. about the WHO in a new thread, go ahead, and if people can keep political references out of it then it will remain, if they can't, it won't.

• Confused 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Bosco-d-gama said:

That’s the problem. You are moderating the ‘headwaters’ of what ‘might’ veer into controversy. So literally next to nothing gets allowed. Way, way, way over killed.

Part of the problem is some always seem to slip little comments in that are political or meant to be taken that way, it's like an art form to them. 

Also some discussions can not really be done without some slight political comment, I know it's not easy for a everyone to avoid but we do not like taking any kind of action, but if someone does and it's let go it almost always escalates. It's no fun getting PM's and some want more done and some less, it's really very few rules and we didn't make them.

I hate controversy, here and in life, it's a waste of time to me, I have better things to do.

About all I do now is sign in, check for spam, approve new members first post and leave. It has gone to the point that I can't even make a fun post, what I am expected to do and what I want to do are two different things, I can not enjoy coming here anymore so for the most part I don't. I have met many nice people here and in person and miss talking with them but I don't want to deal with the constant BS.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, dtel said:

Part of the problem is some always seem to slip little comments in that are political or meant to be taken that way, it's like an art form to them. 

the funny or sad part is that they're not fooling anyone. quite often we know exactly what or who they're talking about, which I guess was their objective; but I sometimes picture people at their computers smiling thinking that they've fooled us. 

It's no fun getting PM's and some want more done and some less, it's really very few rules and we didn't make them.

this is what disappoints me. I assume we're grown men and to know that some are whiny snitches just burns me up. So what if someone violates the TOS, doesn't mean we have to put on our internet badge and report them. I know we all grew up in different places and with different outlooks on life ... for me, it had better be something super serious, like the health and safety of a person before I'd rat someone out. just not the way I want to live and there's no quicker way to lose the trust of others when they're not sure if you're going to take offense to something they say or do and go squeal.

I can not enjoy coming here anymore so for the most part I don't. I have met many nice people here and in person and miss talking with them but I don't want to deal with the constant BS.

I understand that. I'd suggest stop being a moderator then you could ignore the idiots without feeling that you have an obligation to do something about it. I would bet that most of the people that participate here regularly are to keep in touch with friends and NOT for audio related stuff. Geez, I would hate to hang out with a person that only talked about one topic -- how boring. 

I know the frustration that you feel; but this place is never going to be the perfect forum where every little rule is followed completely. Conversations flow and sometimes in different directions than originally intended -- that's normal. You're going to give yourself a headache though if you try to eliminate a problem that hasn't happened yet. You may suspect that a certain topic has a high probability of going south (not necessarily to your geographic location); but take the "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it" approach. If you focus too much on nipping it in the bud before it even happens, (1) it will drive you crazy; and (2) more often than not, you're going to be wrong as none of us are psychics (did you know I was going to say that? if so maybe you are).  

Had a supervisor once that would occasionally come out of the big bosses' office and he say "BIOP."  That meant "blow it outta proportion." Sometimes we try to solve problems that don't exist; other times we fight fights that are only in our minds. I suffer from mental health issues ... bad OCD and anxiety. I'm rarely successful; but I'd like to just deal with the real things when and if they happen ... and I'm finding that the worst case scenario very rarely happens. But man, have I wasted valuable time dealing with all the "what ifs" that have NEVER turned into reality.

Don't let it get to you so bad ... hang up the moderator's hat if it's getting you down that much.

Peace. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

I know the frustration that you feel; but this place is never going to be the perfect forum where every little rule is followed completely.

True and it would scare me if was perfect, we could never expect that. To be honest I look the other way alot hoping some of the comments will change subject since nothing stays on tract for long. Sometimes it does and sometimes not, this makes me feel like I am dumping it other moderators, because I am.  

54 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

It must be for the love of it.

I have been here 18 years and have been helped by so many I have lost count. I wouldn't have what I have without all the advice and friends over that time.

That is where the love is, and respect for those who go out of there way to help, and there are MANY here, you can see it everyday.

It just get's aggravating sometimes, but it will be OK, everything works out one way or another. I say this because at 63 I have become selfish, only so much time left to spend it on silly things.

I am going to spend my time on what I like to do and my family, In the long run no one else honestly really gives a crap anyway. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, dtel said:

To be honest I look the other way alot hoping some of the comments will change subject since nothing stays on tract for long. Sometimes it does and sometimes not, this makes me feel like I am dumping it other moderators, because I am.  

It's good that you're not quick on the draw when it comes to dropping the hammer on members. Patience doesn't come naturally to me and back in the days when I worked and had some authority, keeping my personal opinions of people in check was even more important than ever. Had a boss that told me, when I had to counsel a problem employee, to remind the guy that it was his behavior we didn't like, it wasn't him as a person. Plus, I prefer to let a person know how they can make it right as forever holding something over someone's head is not a good way to lead (or live if you're the person that has done wrong). Forgiveness is powerful for both the victim and the guilty. 

I can think of only one forum member that I would definitely have banned and that was only because what he did was far more than just express an opinion -- he spoke of violence, my toleration for violence is nearly non-existent.  Some frustrate me by their rudeness; but I think we should ALWAYS prefer reconciliation. Banning someone, sending them into forum purgatory, ignoring them ... none of that serves any good purpose, it just gets them out of our faces and as much political talk that has went on here, nobody is that far gone. If someone needs corrective action, fine -- but, that corrective action should be to "correct" not for revenge or so open-ended that the violator feels that they're never welcome back.  It's like when I'd do something wrong as a kid and be given some punishment that had no ending in sight ... sure, the parental units relented eventually; but the initial threats of a forever punishment were far worse than the offense called for. Emotions are a tricky thing and can easily get the better of us if we let it. Sometimes people need to be suspended from participation; but if I was running the show, they'd know specifically why and for how long. Personally, I've never been banned, moderated posts, or gotten warning points so I have no personal experience to know how you administer those punishments. Hopefully, no moderator takes the stance that they'll allow someone to return when/if they feel like it. 

I'm not much younger than you and I don't want to deal with controversy in my life either. I just try to treat people fairly and with respect ... whether they deserve it or not. Trust me, I've had to have some conversations where I really didn't feel in my heart the words that were coming out of my mouth; but I knew what the right thing to do was and had an obligation to that and not what would have brought me personal satisfaction.  Like that saying about bitterness ... it's like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. Most react in the positive -- some don't; but at least I can lay my head on my pillow at night with a clean conscience that I've dealt with my fellow man as fairly as possible. I'm spending my fourth quarter of life forgiving others and being grateful that I've been forgiven. it just works better that way.

Now that this novel is complete ... watch for it at a theatre by you.  But don't go see it because there's a rather nasty virus still out there. 

• Like 3