1977 Heresy - Subwoofer question

Vinyl_Danger

Hello everyone!

I recently acquired a set of 1977 Heresy speakers. They sound great but I need more bass.

I’m only running a turntable, a Realistic LAB-270.

With a Denon DRA-750 receiver (I believe it’s from 1985)

I’d like to get the best subwoofer for this setup.

I’ve heard a 70s receiver might be better & also a crossover upgrade (I’ve emailed Crite’s about this)

My system sounds good as is - But some records have better bass than others. I’d like to have more oomph for those that need it.

Thanks for any help.

CL

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Vinyl_Danger said:

Hello everyone!

I recently acquired a set of 1977 Heresy speakers

I’ve heard a 70s receiver might be better & also a crossover upgrade

your best  Sonic option for the Crossovers are JEM PERFORMANCE ------     @JEM Performance,  They sell  or install kits of klipsch replacement capacitors that will bring back your speakers to factory specs ,, and yes they cost the same as Aftermarkets  but with 1 exception , they sound better as they deliver the klipsch sound signature that others cannot   -

Welcome to the forum -Please Support  Klipsch Dealers and-Resellers , who make a Living like everybody else while Offering klipsch Genuine Parts for your speakers  -

https://jemperformanceaudio.com/

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

your best  Sonic option for the Crossovers are JEM PERFORMANCE ------     @JEM Performance,  They sell  or install kits of klipsch replacement capacitors that will bring back your speakers to factory specs ,, and yes they cost the same as Aftermarkets  but with 1 exception , they sound better as they deliver the klipsch sound signature that others cannot   -

Welcome to the forum -Please Support  Klipsch Dealers and-Resellers , who make a Living like everybody else while Offering klipsch Genuine Parts for your speakers  -

https://jemperformanceaudio.com/

thanks for the information.

I learned of JEM last night while perusing these forums. I will be contacting him soon.

I’m thinking I may get the speakers up to spec first on my list- build up from a solid foundation 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 7:37 AM, Ceptorman said:

Connecting a sub to an older receiver has challenges, I doubt your Denon has a sub out, you might need a sub with speaker level inputs. 

It has 2 tape loops.  I wonder if one of those could be used as an audio out.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’d suggest having a look at DIY. I’ve built a couple of Bill Fitzmaurice’s horn loaded “Tuba” designs and they are great. They blend very well  with both my Heresys and La Scalas. Their performance is quite impressive they don’t overwhelm, they just blend well and add the musical bass that I’m guessing you are looking for with your set up. With your Heresys the Tuba T18 (or two) could work quite nicely. There are plenty of affordable plate amp options with speaker level inputs that will work with your receiver, and Heresys. I did a couple of build threads on here and I’ll figure out how to attach a link to them. His plans are affordable and easy to follow, even with a minimum of woodworking skills. I think it’s ok to post a link to his  website, if not I apologize. https://billfitzmaurice.info 

Good luck,  there are more than a couple of folks on the forum that can really help you out if you decide to go that route. I’ll be happy to answer any questions that my meager knowledge and questionable skills will allow. 

• Like 1

Both Ceptorman and CECAA850 are right; you can use speaker level inputs, or a tape record output.

If the receiver has only one pair of  speaker outputs, you CAN run the Heresy's AND the sub off the same set of speaker terminals as long as both wires fit. You can connect the sub's speaker level inputs to either the receiver's speaker terminals or the speakers' input terminals; doesn't matter.

Speaker level inputs on a subwoofer are a high impedance so they won't harm the receiver's amp.

What hasn't been mentioned is, expecting more bass from LP's is somewhat wishful thinking. Vinyl groove width limitations and RIAA equalization will limit how loud and low you can go. There are no such limitations with CD's which is why they sound better than records!

I will now don my flame retardant suit and await the replies...😋

Hey Peter, You forgot to mention the option seen in Your sig. The OP could try to get KG SW, it was meant for speakers just like the Heresies. Downsides would be:

1. No powered sub, so you can´t crank up the power on it. Just provides the "missing" lower Hz.

2. Maybe hard to find these days.

But it could mitigate the problem of having receivers/ amplifiers without sub-outs.

• 1 month later...

Hello again- thanks for all the replies!

I didn’t get notifications, so sorry it’s taken me so long to respond.

I contacted Crites and upgraded the crossovers.

And I’m still using the Denon amp.

I ended up with a Klipsch 12” subwoofer - Many differing opinions out there.

But I didn’t want to drop $500 on a sub without knowing if I would like it.

I’m using an adaptor to go from RCA to speaker cable - putting the heresies & sub into the same terminal A.

so far it’s giving me what I wanted. I’m still experimenting with the crossover point.

80hz seems to be the consensus - your input would be appreciated.

thanks again!

• Like 1