Center Channel

tubetwister

Instead of a dedicated center channel speaker, why not use two full range tower speakers, head-to-head? Yes, they would be horizontal instead of vertical, but I do not think that would present a problem.

This would give you full range, and would have a huge positive effect on the breadth and impact of the sound stage.

What say you?

enhance

• Like 1

First off, great room you got here, love it! Just need to know if im understanding this correctly... Are you proposing to instead of having 1x center channel speaker as depicted in the picture, you get 2x new floorstanding speakers, lay them down horizontaly and hook them both up to the single center channel port on your AVR?

I know of many who use floorstanders as center channels instead of the speakers manufactured as center channels. Cant say i know anyone who has what I assume youre suggesting. Initially, i d be concerned about the output capability of one speaker port having to service two speakers. Dont know any of the facts or math pertaining to what i assume youre suggesting here, its merely a concern i think would be worth while digging into before pulling the trigger on two new floorstanders.

1 hour ago, HenrikTJ said:

First off, great room you got here, love it! Just need to know if im understanding this correctly... Are you proposing to instead of having 1x center channel speaker as depicted in the picture, you get 2x new floorstanding speakers, lay them down horizontaly and hook them both up to the single center channel port on your AVR?

I know of many who use floorstanders as center channels instead of the speakers manufactured as center channels. Cant say i know anyone who has what I assume youre suggesting. Initially, i d be concerned about the output capability of one speaker port having to service two speakers. Dont know any of the facts or math pertaining to what i assume youre suggesting here, its merely a concern i think would be worth while digging into before pulling the trigger on two new floorstanders.

Thanks for the kind words.

I have a preamp-processor, and separate power amps for each channel. There is more than enough power to drive two speakers at the center.

Might give it a try, just to see how it works.

The two R-820F's in my secondary room might get called to action here.

15 hours ago, tubetwister said:

Thanks for the kind words.

I have a preamp-processor, and separate power amps for each channel. There is more than enough power to drive two speakers at the center.

Might give it a try, just to see how it works.

The two R-820F's in my secondary room might get called to action here.

Well in that case, i dont see any problem in your plan here. If youre confident, then by all means, but personally id hold off until someone could actually confirm that this will work fine.

I did a similar test using 2 Martin Logan LX16 bookshelf speakers. Split the output from pre-amp to 2 channel power amp then to the speakers... since they are small, I could create physical separation and it was actually very good. I may go back to a similar setup some day.