What happened to my new speakers???

Jones

Hi all,

My Klipsch R-820F's are about 2 months old. I am very happy with them so far. What I don't understand is the white thin residue that seems to be accumulating in all of the 8 inch woofers. I hear no difference in sound, but obviously don't like the way it looks and I'm worried that some kind of slow deterioration is happening. I'm attaching a pic of what it looks like. I have what I think are better pictures but they are all just over the 2MB limit....

Questions: 

Have you seen this before in same or other Klipsch models?

Is this something to be concerned about regarding a defect or will it get worse and affect sound? 

Do you recommend trying to clean the residue off if possible, and if so, how? 

Thanks for any help,

J

PXL_20210130_183351839.jpg

35 minutes ago, Jones said:

Do you recommend trying to clean the residue off if possible, and if so, how?

be careful    when you clean it --check the user manual

----https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-manuals/Reference-Speakers-2018-Manual-v02.pdf?mtime=20180705155537&focal=none

The only thing you should ever need to do to your speakers is dust them occasionally. Never apply any abrasive or solvent-based cleaner or any harsh detergent. .CARE AND CLEANING

Yes, it is happening in all of the cones. I almost always have the grills covering them, so it's not like the dog licked them. I don't live near the ocean and have purposefully never touched them. There is a wood-stove in the room, but this does not look like some accumulated ash/dust. It's actually worse than this picture makes it look. I will try to show another picture if I can get something less than 2MB. Thanks for the replies. I would hate to have to bring these back to the store if only for how freakin' heavy and big they are. Also not sure if Bestbuy would even still do an exchange...

Oh, I also have a pair of R PM 51's in another room with copper spun woofers, probably about 2 months older than these, and they look pristine. 

Edited by Jones
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jones said:

Yes, it is happening in all of the cones. I almost always have the grills covering them, so it's not like the dog licked them. I don't live near the ocean and have purposefully never touched them. There is a wood-stove in the room, but this does not look like some accumulated ash/dust. It's actually worse than this picture makes it look. I will try to show another picture if I can get something less than 2MB. Thanks for the replies. I would hate to have to bring these back to the store if only for how freakin' heavy and big they are. Also not sure if Bestbuy would even still do an exchange...

Oh, I also have a pair of R PM 51's in another room with copper spun woofers, probably about 2 months older than these, and they look pristine. 

----------you have to reach out to BB , both I and @billybob   agree that you have to act asap   . but before doing this  , try some rubbing alcohol on a small section  , if it's dust or a residue from  packaging  , it will come off , if it doesn't , it's a manufacturer defect covered under the warranty -

OK, so even though I didn't want to touch the cones at all, I just took a bit of toilet paper and VERY lightly rubbed the cones going with the grain of the copper. At first it looked like nothing was happening, but then eventually the debris did come off and they look clean again. I would hope that this is somehow just dust. Would the magnet in the woofer attract any dust to make these sorts of white lines when the cone vibrates, I wonder? I can't imagine it is lacquer, as it seems that wouldn't dry up and come off so fast, but I'm not ruling anything out. I am surprised that no one else is reporting this that I know of....

OK, a better picture:

PXL_20210130_212518033.jpg

Edited by Jones
picture
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Jones said:

OK, so even though I didn't want to touch the cones at all, I just took a bit of toilet paper and VERY lightly rubbed the cones going with the grain of the copper. At first it looked like nothing was happening, but then eventually the debris did come off and they look clean again. I would hope that this is somehow just dust. Would the magnet in the woofer attract any dust to make these sorts of white lines when the cone vibrates, I wonder? I can't imagine it is lacquer, as it seems that wouldn't dry up and come off so fast, but I'm not ruling anything out. I am surprised that no one else is reporting this that I know of....

OK, a better picture:

PXL_20210130_212518033.jpg

My thinking since mentioning all cones effected in room is room.

Heat, moisture, ash... good hunting for the reason.

• Like 1

Just call Klipsch and get it taken care of
They should not be doing this
I’ve had some of the first speakers that Klipsch make with copper cones, and I see them from time to time. And they still look like new, and they are pretty old. Rc64, rf7 first models of them and look nice and shiney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The thing that makes me think it is dust, not the finish or lacquer, is that it is happening the same way on all 4 cones. I agree with billybob on that. Each speaker has two separate cones and each speaker even came in it's own separate box. I just think the chances that all 4 cones have the same defect is too low to be realistic. Unless, the air quality in the room is so crazy that it is causing the same damage to all cones, but I think that's unlikely, especially in such a short amount of time. I'm going to keep an eye on it, and I'm also setting up an air purifier, at least for the winter months when the wood stove in constantly in use. I also am puzzled that the grills on the speakers don't prevent dust or ash from getting in, but of course they are not air tight. 

17 hours ago, Jones said:

OK, so even though I didn't want to touch the cones at all, I just took a bit of toilet paper and VERY lightly rubbed the cones

you should not rub the surface with a dry cloth or tissue ,always use a wet  rag or tissue since  that will not scratch the surface    , take a paper towel or soft cotton ,    moisten with rubbing alcohol  - wipe the surface clean in a circular motion from left to right--  the alcohol will evaporate and dry