What happened to my new speakers???

Jones

3 minutes ago, Jones said:

The thing that makes me think it is dust, not the finish or lacquer, is that it is happening the same way on all 4 cones. I agree with billybob on that. Each speaker has two separate cones and each speaker even came in it's own separate box. I just think the chances that all 4 cones have the same defect is too low to be realistic. Unless, the air quality in the room is so crazy that it is causing the same damage to all cones, but I think that's unlikely, especially in such a short amount of time. I'm going to keep an eye on it, and I'm also setting up an air purifier, at least for the winter months when the wood stove in constantly in use. I also am puzzled that the grills on the speakers don't prevent dust or ash from getting in, but of course they are not air tight. 

Move your other speakers with the clean cones into this room and see if they start to show the same issue. If no that rules out the room conditions and points to a defect in Manufacturing. It could EASILY happen to all 8 woofers at the same time I am positive that when they make the woofers its DOZENS at a time so you could easily have woofers all from the same batch with a defect especially if your serial numbers are close. No company will openly admit a defect in a product for all anyone knows there could have been a few claims

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

No alcohol! See the manual! 

Agreed and you will probably void any chance of a return / exchange if you use any chemicals on the speakers. I personally would not touch them I would take pics to BB make sure they are aware, Move my other speakers into the room to see if they discolor. If they do not dis color I would return the speakers for exchange

In lieu of alcohol, just use water with light cloth.

Also was thinking about saying earlier that yes, can also see that the room in winter not the same as other times of the year. Fluctuations in temperature, the heating of the elements, the attraction of the speakers to yes, condensation, mineralization possibly from the moisture.

You may well have the makings of the perfect storm.

And yes, why all the cones in that room, and not the other 2 speakers in another.

Not a PI but, a mystery awaiting a solution. A case of intrigue, to a point. 🤔

28 minutes ago, carlthess40 said:

Just call Klipsch and get it taken care of

:lol: :lol: :lol: I've tried calling them off and on for weeks now waited on hold for up to an hour several times and never less than 20 minutes each time, finally gave up. I also sent out emails and after 2 weeks finally got a response that stated they were busy and would be in touch, that has been well over a week now. I'm just glad I didn't have any serious questions or concerns I'd be really upset, as of now I just consider the parts department to be defunct.  

OK, as the Dude would say, new Schiit has come to light. Here is a pic of the subwoofer (RS 120 SW) right next to the right tower speaker. I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but clearly, the same thing is happening in this cone. It may be a bit less severe, and it is also the speaker furthest from the wood stove. The sub was shipped from Bestbuy, but I don't think it was from the same location in Manchester, NH. Also, the sub was ordered probably a month earlier, at least 2 weeks. Which leads me to believe even more strongly that this must just be dust getting in and then accumulating in this way due to the magnet and speaker vibration. When I cleaned the dust off before, it does not look to me like the cleaned area is discolored in any way to suggest a deterioration in some kind of finish. Again, I've got the air filter set up and will continue to monitor. In the meantime, the plan will be to very lightly dust off with a dry, soft cloth if need be. I'm not going to try alcohol or water when it seems to clean up fine without either of those. 

PXL_20210131_155820076.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jones said:

OK, as the Dude would say, new Schiit has come to light. Here is a pic of the subwoofer (RS 120 SW) right next to the right tower speaker. I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but clearly, the same thing is happening in this cone. It may be a bit less severe, and it is also the speaker furthest from the wood stove. The sub was shipped from Bestbuy, but I don't think it was from the same location in Manchester, NH. Also, the sub was ordered probably a month earlier, at least 2 weeks. Which leads me to believe even more strongly that this must just be dust getting in and then accumulating in this way due to the magnet and speaker vibration. When I cleaned the dust off before, it does not look to me like the cleaned area is discolored in any way to suggest a deterioration in some kind of finish. Again, I've got the air filter set up and will continue to monitor. In the meantime, the plan will be to very lightly dust off with a dry, soft cloth if need be. I'm not going to try alcohol or water when it seems to clean up fine without either of those. 

PXL_20210131_155820076.jpg

Ok, stupid question, perhaps, but you never know. You don't happen to have a household pet like a cat or a dog  licking those copper cones, from time to time, do you?

Or worse, a perfectionist cleaning lady or partner who, behind your back, thinks she's (or he) helping you by applying a good dose of Dettol to your speakers?

When I used to have a cleaning lady, I specifically told her that my audio corner was a no-go zone, ever. This was after she had 'attacked' my tube amp with a mean looking Swiffer thingy almost destroying my delicate EL84 tubes...

File:No entry for big-haired cleaning ladies (162491396).jpg

• Like 1

On a more serious note, when I first got my RP160M speakers, I found the rubber around the woofer and the material around the tweeter to be 'sticky', literally. Using a dry cloth, I was unable to remove the dust. I remember asking people here on this forum if it was a good idea to use damp cloth. Which I do now, of course, but I never use detergents.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

On a more serious note, when I first got my RP160M speakers, I found the rubber around the woofer and the material around the tweeter to be 'sticky', literally. Using a dry cloth, I was unable to remove the dust. I remember asking people here on this forum if it was a good idea to use damp cloth. Which I do now, of course, but I never use detergents.

Glad to hear that worked. For chalk like build up on butylpropylene(sp) surrounds sometime have recc. a very little white vinegar.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jones said:

The thing that makes me think it is dust, not the finish or lacquer, is that it is happening the same way on all 4 cones. I agree with billybob on that. Each speaker has two separate cones and each speaker even came in it's own separate box. I just think the chances that all 4 cones have the same defect is too low to be realistic. Unless, the air quality in the room is so crazy that it is causing the same damage to all cones, but I think that's unlikely, especially in such a short amount of time. I'm going to keep an eye on it, and I'm also setting up an air purifier, at least for the winter months when the wood stove in constantly in use. I also am puzzled that the grills on the speakers don't prevent dust or ash from getting in, but of course they are not air tight. 

The grills really need to breathe.

3 hours ago, billybob said:

In lieu of alcohol, just use water with light cloth.

Also was thinking about saying earlier that yes, can also see that the room in winter not the same as other times of the year. Fluctuations in temperature, the heating of the elements, the attraction of the speakers to yes, condensation, mineralization possibly from the moisture.

You may well have the makings of the perfect storm.

And yes, why all the cones in that room, and not the other 2 speakers in another.

Not a PI but, a mystery awaiting a solution. A case of intrigue, to a point. 🤔

Drink the alcohol 😀

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, billybob said:

a mystery awaiting a solution

We had some strange "texturing" of our 2nd refrigerator that's in the garage.  Didn't think much about it because of location.  One day, wife comes to me saying that she near choked to death in the garage....(she's prone to colorful talk every now & then).  Unimpressed, I go in there and then I too, felt a mild "burning of the lungs".

Long story short....  when her father passed, we (family) cleaned out his house/garage.  Brought some things here.  One thing we had was a gallon of muratic acid in a plastic jug.  Had it sitting on a wooden shelf.  Interestingly, the jug developed a pinhole in it maybe 1/3 the way down from the top and muratic acid was dripping out.  As fortune would have it......directly under it was a 12" or so "cookie tin" type of item.  In this item, we had a bunch of door parts (hinges, screws, kitchen drawer pull knobs....) and the muratic acid was dripping directly into this tin so essentially all that had dripped out, was caught!  However, that didn't stop the fumes from wafting around the garage and it was the fumes that was working on the (stainless) exterior of the refrigerator.  Now that I knew to open my eyes, I had a bunch of things that had a coat of rust on them as the acid in the air was eating away at them.  (for example the 1/2" chuck on my right angle drill...)

Seems my wife WAS having breathing issues as she unknowingly walked through the diluted vapor cloud.

My take on these drivers on first glance is that they looked to be compressed a bit and bent.  He would have felt that and I think he checked for that (?) so that doesn't seem to be the case.  Hopefully he'll find a good resolution.

• Thanks 1