Amps

MRych

5 hours ago, MRych said:

I have recently upgraded to 820f floor speakers, running off a Yamaha RX-A780 receiver. I was thinking about adding a amp for the towers??

Is this a good idea?? If so, what amp options should I look at.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/196239-please-read-before-posting-here/

@MRych,

Welcome to the forum.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2021 at 6:11 PM, MRych said:

I have recently upgraded to 820f floor speakers, running off a Yamaha RX-A780 receiver. I was thinking about adding a amp for the towers??

Quality clean amplification is always a good thing IMO.  Look for a high current stereo amp, or 3 channel if you want to drive your center speaker, with maybe 125w/ch with all channels driven.  Plenty of good quality affordable amplifiers on the used market.  Parasound, Anthem, Adcom, Rotel, B&K, Acurus, to name a few that pop up on the local Craigslists.

As suggested by @wuzzzer, maybe have mods move this thread to the technical/modifications forum.

Bill

On 1/30/2021 at 6:11 PM, MRych said:

It won't hurt.  It might help.  Unless you like AC/DC at full concert volume, it isn't necessary.  I wouldn't bother, I would live with the Yamaha, or upgrade to a better unit ($$$$).  Generally, you'll get the best sound and greater flexibility with all separates. 

You need to double your power rating to hear a small, noticeable difference in volume; 200 wpc.  Ten times the power will be a big, obvious difference in volume; 1000 wpc.  Better quality amps usually have higher damping factors and that extra control of the woofer will be noticeable.  Other details and delicacies in the music are a function of the amp's build quality and design and a much harder thing to quantify.  Again, $$$$.