Robin Hood etc....

Bubo

It looks to me like one of those  "youth internet escapades into the twilight zone". If you invest in a company that is going bankrupt and run by idiots you have to be dumber than a truckload of rocks. Maybe a foreign interference is involved in de-stabling the market.

JJK

3 hours ago, JJkizak said:

It looks to me like one of those  "youth internet escapades into the twilight zone". If you invest in a company that is going bankrupt and run by idiots you have to be dumber than a truckload of rocks. Maybe a foreign interference is involved in de-stabling the market.

JJK

Or it could be a rebellion against a "rigged system."

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grasshopper said:

...if nothing else

brings to light how the market can be manipulated w/o breaking the rules of engagement

Kind of funny how you never hear about all of the Congress people who liquidated stocks days prior to announcement of shutdowns last spring or member's of Congress investing heavily in Tesla days before the Whitehouse announces a complete switch to electric vehicles, seems like that is breaking some sort of law?? 

• Like 3

My wife has a gal-pal that she used to work with....  gal has an account at Robin Hood.  I don't know if it's her situation or the folks in general (my wife tells me it's the folks in general with accounts there)

They will buy two shares of this & that....  or 33 shares of this & that....  meaning it's generally small dollar investors and they're buying a small number of shares.  

I'm sure there are exceptions and maybe my wife is getting a skewed picture from her gal-pal.  I DO know that on their ads, they talk about "one free stock" and I was curious what that meant so I went to their website.

I was expecting to hear about "one free stock TRADE" to which I wasn't impressed as you can now open accounts and pay zero commissions at many places....  no....what they meant was open an account appropriately (probably minimum deposit?  I didn't look)  anyway, open an account and they will give you "one, some" (I don't know the quantity) of free shares of a stock of their choosing.  Now, before you think they're going to give you a share of Apple Computer....  it turns out it's some penny stock which made me giggle a bit (but didn't surprise me)

My wife is trying to help her gal-pal.  I told her we should take her out to dinner and give her some investment lessons.  Wife is trying to get her to "upgrade" her custodian and change firms (leave Robin Hood for ???)

• Like 1

The Federal Authorities are not going to take this very lightly  -----------expect Lawsuits , Fines and a Complete Investigation , plus Insider trading accusations -

Who owns GameStop now? Here's how CEO George Sherman's 2.3 million shares skyrocketed from $7M to $745M

https://meaww.com/game-stop-owners-founders-george-sherman-history-shares-cost-worth-roaring-kitty-reddit-elon-musk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

I got a chuckle when I heard the hedge fund guys were having it stuck to them.

Shorts may require hospitalization for severe rectal bleeding in Feb, few should survive without Bailouts.

From what I read on ZH

The bomb drops Feb 18-19 when everything comes due

There is no limit to the losses on a short

Could go N of $10 billion in losses

Speculation is the puncture in the Market balloon could be enough to crash the balloon

Tesla with flaming products valued at $ 2 Trillion is a good one etc

All propped up with ZERP zero interest rates forcing people into the stock market for any return.

All stocked up on lead, tuna, and rice waiting for the big one......

38 minutes ago, Bubo said:

There is no limit to the losses on a short

A prudent short might be to short "ABC" and then to purchase a protective call so that if something outlandish (like this) happens, you're just damaged not disemboweled.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Coytee said:

A prudent short might be to short "ABC" and then to purchase a protective call so that if something outlandish (like this) happens, you're just damaged not disemboweled.

Too late

RUxNODY1ODYwMTI=.jpg

Naked Shorting

Updated Jan 28, 2021

What Is Naked Shorting

Naked shorting is the illegal practice of short selling shares that have not been affirmatively determined to exist. Ordinarily, traders must borrow a stock, or determine that it can be borrowed, before they sell it short. So naked shorting refers to short pressure on a stock that may be larger than the tradable shares in the market. Despite being made illegal after the 2008–09 financial crisis, naked shorting continues to happen because of loopholes in rules and discrepancies between paper and electronic trading systems.

8 hours ago, Bubo said:

All propped up with ZERP zero interest rates forcing people into the stock market for any return.

All stocked up on lead, tuna, and rice waiting for the big one......

Richard (Coytee) and I were just discussing this sort of thing.  There is a false impression that the only choice is risky stocks and CD's which pay nothing.  In the middle exist good dividend stocks.  They yield better than CD's yielded in their heyday.  Yields today on some very good companies are 7-8%.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Me, too.  But sadly, I have a feeling that the hedge fund guys are investing other people's money, and a lot of unwitting people got burned.

That is all they invest...other people's money. Well, except for that tidy sum they bargain with.