Question on Natural Cherry color

Smarsh

I just bought a pair of Klipsch RF7 iii in Natural Cherry. Got them unboxed last night. They sound great. One thing I noticed is that the back of the speaker color on both towers are darker than the rest of the cabinet. The top, and both sides on each speaker are lighter than the back. Just curious if anyone else that has RF7 iii in Natural Cherry if yours came like this? Maybe not a big deal but just wanted to see if this is normal for wood veneer speakers in this color. Anyone who has these in this color can maybe chime in on this. Thanks

@Smarsh,

Welcome to the forum.

A little odd because all veneer should be cut from the same sheet and book matched to the other speakers with consecutive serial numbers.

Are they B Stock which might explain things?

Also, if it bothers you and triggers some OCD, you could always set the speakers outside and give the lighter veneer a little suntan to catch up with the rear veneer.  It does work.  That is what I did to match my new natural cherry speaker stands to my 10+ years old RB-75s.

RF-7 III natural cherry color - General Klipsch Info - The Klipsch Audio  Community

Bill

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Smarsh said:

just wanted to see if this is normal for wood veneer speakers in this color.

Cherry changes very quickly in the Sun. Cherry will darken and Walnut will 'bleach' out. If you put a piece of Cherry wood in the Sun with an object (Ex: poker card) on the board, within a week, it will show a large difference. 

I could see that Klipsch might use a different piece of veneered stock on the back of a pair of speakers. But like willland said if it is natural cherry(not stained) and just clear lacquered it will darken with time and exposure to UV light. I truly wish my RF7 IIs were natural and not stained.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, these are Natural Cherry.  I bought these from an authorized dealer and they have consecutive serial numbers. Just wanted to get some opinions on this. I guess it’s not really a big deal. I noticed the difference in color when I was moving them into place. The darker veneer on the back is not a big difference from the rest of the speaker cabinet, but you can definitely tell it is a little darker Cherry color if you really look at it. Guess I shouldn’t worry about it and enjoy the sound. 😄

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 1:11 PM, willland said:

all veneer should be cut from the same sheet and book matched to the other speakers with consecutive serial numbers.

RF-7III's are not book matched, consecutive serial numbers only means that you got the luck of the draw.  That's not the norm.  It's only meaningful with Heritage.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

RF-7III's are not book matched, consecutive serial numbers only means that you got the luck of the draw.  That's not the norm.  It's only meaningful with Heritage.  

I stand(sit) corrected.:wacko:

Thanks for clarifying that.  The old "assuming" thing.

Bill