Custom KPT-335 / Chorus III Creation Best There is Period!!

jjptkd

Figure its time to start a thread on my latest project, as of yesterday finally got both speakers together and they have blown my mind! What I have done is collected all of the parts that make up a stock set of KPT-335 from the original woofers, mid drivers, tweeters and crossovers everything minus the big awkward cabinets. Seeing how the KPT-335 uses the k-48 woofer (same as the Chorus models) I decided to build a custom set of cabinets to house all of the parts in roughly the same size cabinets as a pair of Choruses.

20201220_075945 (584x640).jpg

20210103_103736 (607x640).jpg

20210104_112521 (474x640).jpg

20210104_143544 (640x477).jpg

20210112_110458 (480x640).jpg

20210104_125834 (412x640).jpg

20210112_113205 (410x640).jpg

20210124_081618 (311x640).jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

This is my first experience with the 2" exit driver and I have to say it is incredible. Best way I can describe it is pointed accuracy of the exponential horn with the vast openness of the Tractrix horn, best of both worlds. That mid is definitely front and center but very smooth and articulate, even as the volume is increased to insane levels.

I was on the fence from the beginning about whether to do a front port like the Chorus 1 and 301's  or to rear port like the Chorus II and KLF-30's, ultimately the lack of room on the front board made the decision for me. Ports are dual 4" at 7" lengths as discussed here in other threads for Chorus 1 mods.

These are unfinished cabinets I plan on adding a 1/4" piece of plywood to the face notched around the drivers to give them a recessed look, also plan on building bases for them similar to the Chorus design but a little taller. Right now these speakers are 37.5" tall, 18" wide and 15.5" deep. I plan on adding 4-1/2" risers for a total height of 42".

I'm going to throw @Chief bonehead a bone here if you want to make a true "CornScala killer" Chorus III type of home speaker here is an easy recipe you already have the design and parts for in your KPT-335 speaker put them in a home friendly cabinet and you are golden.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I'm going to throw @Chief bonehead a bone here if you want to make a true "CornScala killer" Chorus III type of home speaker

My guess is that is what the Cornwall IV and possibly the Forte IV will be, a "Cornscala Killer"

Nice project by the way, I think some cherry stain would do nice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome! Too bad you couldn't fit the ports on the front.  So that's the mid horn from the Forte III/KV4/KLF series minus mumps as the tweeter and the mid horn is a k510 without mumps?

I'm all over the place lately with upgrades, but now you got me dreaming about a k510 in my set up again

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Awesome! Too bad you couldn't fit the ports on the front.  So that's the mid horn from the Forte III/KV4/KLF series minus mumps as the tweeter and the mid horn is a k510 without mumps?

I'm all over the place lately with upgrades, but now you got me dreaming about a k510 in my set up again

Yes klf horn for tweeter and 510 for mid this large mid driver is at a whole new level it just sounds so right blends perfectly with the woofer and tweeter although the tweeter level is quite low I can certainly see how a 2-way could be possible and not feel like you're missing anything. 

I'm thinking a ki-396 in a Chorus cabinet would be alright nice to get a little lower extension beyond what the smaller trapezoidal cabinets can offer. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jjptkd said:

Yes klf horn for tweeter and 510 for mid this large mid driver is at a whole new level it just sounds so right blends perfectly with the woofer and tweeter although the tweeter level is quite low I can certainly see how a 2-way could be possible and not feel like you're missing anything. 

I'm thinking a ki-396 in a Chorus cabinet would be alright nice to get a little lower extension beyond what the smaller trapezoidal cabinets can offer. 

If i used the k510, i'd likely use a different compression driver with aluminum diaphragm out to 20khz to keep that CF sound i'm getting used to, and i'd have to go active 2 way crossover. I think i'd have to keep the horn on top of the cabinet for lower crossover. I don't know anything about speaker building so i'm not sure if D'Appolito design should be crossed low even if you got the cd to do it?

15 minutes ago, moray james said:

good job on your build. next time you might consider to place the mid horn at the top of the cabinet 

I actually had origonally drawn the design up that way per your previous posts in other threads but at the end of the day I just thought it looked too weird I know that's a lame excuse I have them up on stools in my garage now where I'm always standing at my work bench so it works out later when I get the stands installed they should be about right with possibly a slight tilt back

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

If i used the k510, i'd likely use a different compression driver with aluminum diaphragm out to 20khz to keep that CF sound i'm getting used to, and i'd have to go active 2 way crossover. I think i'd have to keep the horn on top of the cabinet for lower crossover. I don't know anything about speaker building so i'm not sure if D'Appolito design should be crossed low even if you got the cd to do it?

I came across this quote 

Spoiler

"The primary advantage of a concentric driver is avoidance of interference/cancellation between the tweeter and the bigger driver, thereby avoiding nulls and lobes in the vertical polar plane. Symmetry above and below the horizontal plane is likewise achieved, but I think this is of secondary importance. Since the MTM arrangement achieves the symmetry effect but does not avoid the interference/cancellation between the tweeter and the larger driver, it does not really emulate the concentric driver. Interference/cancellation between the tweeter and the larger driver still occurs, although it is different. There are double nulls, one associated with each of the larger drivers, and each is slightly milder than it would be with just a single one of the two larger drivers. (Each of the larger drivers partially fills in the null associated with the other one, but this effect is not strong because cancellation frequency is nearly the same for both of the larger drivers.) And in addition you generally get interference/cancellation between the two larger drivers, and thus nulls and lobes in the vertical polar plane at frequencies below the crossover point. This can't practically be avoided except perhaps by using a "full-range" driver in place of the tweeter so that the crossover point can be much lower than it would be with any normal tweeter. (Full-range drivers are more highly damped, to achieve a broader frequency response, and as such they are poorer in terms of efficiency and sensitivity.)"

So i supposed i can use a lower crossover point if i got the full range driver to do it. 

7 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

I came across this quote 

Hide contents

"The primary advantage of a concentric driver is avoidance of interference/cancellation between the tweeter and the bigger driver 

So i supposed i can use a lower crossover point if i got the full range driver to do it. 

I can tell you I cannot detect any kind of interference between any of the drivers they sound like a single driver speaker seamless is how I'd describe them you'd think only the mid was making any sound but with weight and bass have to hold my ear up to the tweeter to make sure its working they have all of the highs and lows you'd expect from a 3-way but sound like a single driver speaker.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Seeing how the KPT-335 uses the k-48 woofer (same as the Chorus models) I decided to build a custom set of cabinets to house all of the parts in roughly the same size cabinets as a

which crossover dis you use -----?

6 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Chorus III type of home speaker

that Chorus III   tweeter lense  looks relatively small compared to the midrange  lense  --but , I forget that  it's in reality a   Chorus II  Midrange horn lense

59 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

@jjptkd How much do you think that would cost retail?

$8k? Performance wise I'd have to believe these could potentially be somewhere between the Cornwall IV and La Scala II's after some final touches / design tweaks from you.

With the smaller footprint and performance rivalling some of the larger heritage speakers I think there could be a market for these.