Custom KPT-335 / Chorus III Creation Best There is Period!!

jjptkd

2 hours ago, dtr20 said:

Cool project. Here is my chorus III experiment. Just curious on why you chose to go ported instead of passive radiators?

Two reasons actually one is originally I was planning on Chorus 1 style cabinets with front ports and two to keep the cost down as 3ft of PVC one tube of silicone and four port caps (yet to be installed) total 30 bucks compared to 200 for new passives. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dtr20 said:

Cool project. Here is my chorus III experiment. chorus ii.jpgJust curious on why you chose to go ported instead of passive radiators?

quick question  -----is that a Forte III mids horn lense----

• Like 1

Yes it is a forte III horn lens. That's an old picture. I designed and 3-D printed the spacers to adapt the horn into a chorus II cabinet. 

Not trying to pull away people from this thread, but if anyone is interested, here's mine:

• Like 1

• Klipsch Employees
3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

$8k? Performance wise I'd have to believe these could potentially be somewhere between the Cornwall IV and La Scala II's after some final touches / design tweaks from you.

With the smaller footprint and performance rivalling some of the larger heritage speakers I think there could be a market for these. 

Would you pay 8k a pair?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Would you pay 8k a pair?

I already have a pair :biggrin2: On a serious note I really don't see why they would cost much more to make than the Cornwall IV; rear passives if you went that route are $190 with shipping retail cost, mid horn and drivers and more parts on the crossover board minus less wood in cabinet construction minus small tweeter costs and less shipping cost smaller lighter weight. I'd be really surprised if there was even $1000 a pair added costs over the Cornwall IV, possibly much less than 1000 depending on your actual parts costs.

I'm just a huge Chorus fanboy always have been love the k-48 woofer and every speaker I've ever heard it used in If I'm daydreaming about new speakers it is a Chorus model that is all. I appreciate the time you've taken to respond to my posts! I just seen what I thought was an opportunity to make a great home speaker with the KPT-335 parts and I was right, what you do with that information is obviously up to you thanks again!

Jesse

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sadie42 said:

The DIYer doesn't have to account for overhead and operating expenses.

Those are sunk costs and will be there no matter what question is will adding a new product like this add additional sales revenue to help cover those costs or just take away from what would have been sales to existing possibly more profitable products. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Those are sunk costs and will be there no matter what question is will adding a new product like this add additional sales revenue to help cover those costs or just take away from what would have been sales to existing possibly more profitable products. 

Another nice project. As to cost, you know better than I that monies spent on a one of pair like this, it is not about the money.

It is about discoveries made from creating a prototype, so to speak.

Awaiting your initial project result s. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 6:36 PM, Chief bonehead said:

Would you pay 8k a pair?

I think I miscalculated when comparing these to the Cornwall IV should have been comparing them to the forte III since they are much closer in design with a msrp of $4k-- assuming profit margin is acceptable at that price for those speakers and adding the additional costs to make the Chorus III at around $1000, we could even call it $1500 and add an additional profit of $500 and come in right at Cornwall IV pricing at $6k. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rockhound said:

What is the enclosure tuned to? I believe the 335 is somewhere around 50hz on the LF cab.

I would guess around Chorus II tuning at around 39hz? I basically built Chorus 1 cabinets but with rear ports instead of front ports then added the 7 in port mod as others here have, not sure if I've ever seen an actual test result but bass sounds very much like my Chorus II's. 

On 1/31/2021 at 10:28 AM, jjptkd said:

This is my first experience with the 2" exit driver and I have to say it is incredible. Best way I can describe it is pointed accuracy of the exponential horn with the vast openness of the Tractrix horn, best of both worlds. That mid is definitely front and center but very smooth and articulate, even as the volume is increased to insane levels.

I was on the fence from the beginning about whether to do a front port like the Chorus 1 and 301's  or to rear port like the Chorus II and KLF-30's, ultimately the lack of room on the front board made the decision for me. Ports are dual 4" at 7" lengths as discussed here in other threads for Chorus 1 mods.

These are unfinished cabinets I plan on adding a 1/4" piece of plywood to the face notched around the drivers to give them a recessed look, also plan on building bases for them similar to the Chorus design but a little taller. Right now these speakers are 37.5" tall, 18" wide and 15.5" deep. I plan on adding 4-1/2" risers for a total height of 42".

I'm going to throw @Chief bonehead a bone here if you want to make a true "CornScala killer" Chorus III type of home speaker here is an easy recipe you already have the design and parts for in your KPT-335 speaker put them in a home friendly cabinet and you are golden.

I upgraded to 2" exit drivers in 2007 (hard to believe it's going on 14 years). It's a spoiler for sure. The only comment I want to add, is you speakers are not tall enough. If they were, you could add a sealed sub underneath with a 500 watt plate amp, or just lower the distortion further in the bass/midbass by having twin 15's in the box................but NO! (in my best John Belushi voice to text) you went and wimped out on us!!! LOL.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 9:38 AM, jjptkd said:

I think I miscalculated when comparing these to the Cornwall IV should have been comparing them to the forte III since they are much closer in design with a msrp of $4k-- assuming profit margin is acceptable at that price for those speakers and adding the additional costs to make the Chorus III at around $1000, we could even call it $1500 and add an additional profit of $500 and come in right at Cornwall IV pricing at $6k. 

Wait, but why? I'm sure the Marketing folks would think this is a bad idea, but I'm pretty sure Roy would be drooling at the opportunity, since he did most of the work on the Chorus II, right?

45 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

same cost as the Cornwall IV

So I guess at that point would be choice A or B, but both Klipsch choices and not other brands in the running? But if they both sound "right" then the only difference would be the footprint and front vs. rear porting? I still have my doubts as to Market Viability, but it might be worth a try to build a pair at the factory, then put it on line as a custom order, just to see if it would create demand. In the same manner, I suspect that the Belle sold a heck of a lot less than a LaScala, and the main reason they killed it off to make prettier LaScalas with a better mid horn (less tooling, similar components as the Khorn, etc.. Just sayin'.

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I suspect that the Belle sold a heck of a lot less than a LaScala, and the main reason they killed it off to make prettier LaScalas-

I  asked the Question to   @JRH   klipsch did not kill the Belle , it was no longer in demand  and hence ,  klipsch ceased production -  

On 7/24/2019 at 11:52 AM, JRH said:

The Belle ceased production in 2005, 3 years after PWK's passing.  It was a business decision resulting from a near-zero demand.  I believe the previous year's Belle production was less than 10.  Possibly much less than 10.

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

I  asked the Question to   @JRH   klipsch did not kill the Belle , it was no longer in demand  and hence ,  klipsch ceased production -  

Killing it is the same as ceasing production. Semantics.

It's like me saying my hairline isn't receding, I'm just growing a bigger forehead!

8 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

The only comment I want to add, is you speakers are not tall enough. If they were, you could add a sealed sub underneath with a 500 watt plate amp, or just lower the distortion further in the bass/midbass by having twin 15's in the box................but NO! (in my best John Belushi voice to text) you went and wimped out on us!!! LOL.

Yeah I plan on adding 4.5 in risers lifting them up to a total height of 42 in, will probably add adjustable feet to the front so I can angle them up as needed. 

I do have a pair of rsw-12's I could always build custom boxes for them and use them as stands...

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

Yeah I plan on adding 4.5 in risers lifting them up to a total height of 42 in, will probably add adjustable feet to the front so I can angle them up as needed. 

I do have a pair of rsw-12's I could always build custom boxes for them and use them as stands...

Now you're talking. Doing a real 20 hz. with low distortion is expensive relative to 40 Hz.