McIntosh Autoformers

Maximus89

Are they that big of a jump compared to their non autoformer amps? I use an MC7106 bridged to 320wpc, but curious what kind of leap i'd make to a traditional mac amp with the autoformer and if even lower 150-200wpc would sound fuller and more authoritative than the non autoformer mac amps bridged to more wpc.

14 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

Are they that big of a jump compared to their non autoformer amps? I use an MC7106 bridged to 320wpc, but curious what kind of leap i'd make to a traditional mac amp with the autoformer and if even lower 150-200wpc would sound fuller and more authoritative than the non autoformer mac amps bridged to more wpc.

The leap is about 50-75 pounds

Cap or autoformers both there to block DC from cooking your speakers

Frequency sweeps would most likely show the same levels of accuracy

If you want to color the sound, tubes create more even order harmonics if implemented properly

brain likes even order

El Paso Tube amps repair guy has or had lots of good videos, don;t know if YT censored him for some nonsense, haven't seen his post in a while. He is in El Paso

• Thanks 1

The autoformer provides an ability to guarantee that the amplifier can deliver its rated output safely into various loads by selectable impedance matching.

The Autoformer or Lack of one affects the interaction between the amplifier and load and could have some different audible effects versus an amplifier not using Autoformers but that doesn’t guarantee one amplifier will be preferred over the other because these load interactions can cause tonal balance shifts that depending on system synergy and personnel taste could make a person prefer one over the other in each unique situation.

miketn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use an MX120 as a preamp so i suppose my synergy is fine. I'm happy with everything except i just can't get my CF-3 (version 1)drivers to wake up even with bridged 320wpc even though i felt i had it before. I might be having an issue with my amp input sensitivity? It's the last thing i haven't tried. Currently have it at 2.5v but McIntosh recommends 1v THX with their pre that came out with the mc7106.

My question was mostly to give me peace of mind so as to get rid of the upgrade bug or curiosity. I suppose though, Mac holds resale so i could always recoup. I just can't get these CF-3 drivers to impact me at my preferred volumes. I have to go up pretty high to where my ears can't take it in my small room. I feel the 100wpc unbridged to the 320wpc bridged made zero difference whereas the first time i tried, i was blown away.   More experiments to come.  I keep hearing about power conditioners sapping the dynamics of amps, but i've tried the power amp directly in the wall, and not much difference. It and the Pre are on the outlets with no current limiting. 🤷‍♂️ I also switched the DAC into the current limiting outlet and power amp to wall, same lack of bass, but i do feel it was the best for black background.  I'm just trying to get it to where i'm happy without using my RSW15, and have that only as a bonus. I don't want to use the RSW15 to bandaid over this issue, because i know my CF-3's can hit me in the chest on their own. 

Sorry to derail. I got my autoformer answers. Thanks gents.

Just a shot in the dark without knowing the specifics of your listening space/situation but, fwiw I'll give you my two cents from my own audio quest to more or less reproduce the live music experience. I believe you're looking the wrong direction suspecting amp issues--you have nice amps. To get that live-ish satisfaction you need to move a lot of air in the lower midrange and base frequencies. I've not heard CF-3s but even with a good sub(s) for very low frequencies, I'm sure those little woofers in the CF-3s aren't capable of moving enough air to give the feeling I believe you're looking for.

All the best and good luck with your quest.

Mike