Using a Turntable

What input do you have it plugged into? It would need to go into a phono input. The phono cartridge on your turntable needs a phono input because there is a phono preamp with equalization associated with a phono input. There is also a special one needed for a moving coil cartridge, but that is less common until to climb the ladder.

Edited by Toz
Grammar.
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Steve New to Klipsch said:

I just hooked up turn table, a Technics SL-D303, and am playing an album.  It sounds very nice but even with the volume fully turned up it is shall we say not loud enough.  I find the sound quality to be fine but it plays much louder with my blue tooth device.  

do you have a ohono preamp  -----does your amplifier have a phono stage ---what brand is the amplifier

• 2 weeks later...

This is not unusual.  CD players and other typical sources put out around 1 volt.  Phono cartridges, however, put out just a few millivolts.  This means that a signal boosting preamplifier is needed.  It's called a phono preamp.  If your amplifier or receiver has a Phono input, it will have a built-in phono preamp.  Even so, you may have to turn the volume up higher when using your turntable.  With my system, I have to turn the volume 15-20 dB higher than I do when playing a CD, just to get the same volume.  This is normal.

What kind of amplifier are you using?  Check and see if you have a Phono input.  If you're plugging your turntable leads it into an Aux socket, the volume will be far too low.  Phono preamplifiers come in a big range of prices, from about $99 to about $10,000.  You might even find one for less than $99.  You plug the turntable leads into the phono preamp, and then run leads from the phono preamp to the Aux socket.