Another Woodworker Check

rplace

Anyone have any hands on experience with Birds Eye Maple died Gray? I'm wondering what and how hard the finishing options are as I'm not super keen on the gray. But I must admit it is different and growing on me. I've seen some results with black Gel Stain, but have not idea what Gel Stain is, never having used it. Seem like all my staining and painting projects are leaving me less than impressed. I'm guessing time to graduate from the Home Depot offerings and get serious about how to finish things.

So what would you do if you had a project that demanded Gray Birds Eye Maple?

GrayMaple.jpg.9a6f0e05e6875fd87f36e5c1b23df9ae.jpg

One very difficult technique (the wood must have no stain or paint residue or oil) is to paint it grey then fine sand it carefully and evenly to get the effect you desire. Some of the very hard grain patterns will not take the paint but that's physics. Then coat it with several coats of clear  and I mean several. Let it dry for almost a week to fully harden then fine sand it to dull it up if necessary. It usually takes paint at least three days to fully set. Like I say it's difficult. If you don't want to bust your butt on this technique then use grey water based stain. I personally find it difficult to get everything even with stain in my artwork.

JJK

I don't quite understand.  You say the project "demands" maple gray.  But then it seems like you may want to change the color.  

From what I see on the internet the maple is bleached and then dyed  gray.  

When you say "finish" are you talking about the somewhat clear varnish or lacquer that goes on top of a dyed or stained piece of wood. Most will acentuate the grain or pattern in the wood.

What is the goal?  For that matter, what are you starting with.

WMcD

• Like 1

I have the ability to buy some professionally venered panels so the veneer work is done and done nicely. They are unfinished. I'm under the impression they can be darkened a lot but still show the birds eye figuring. Smokey, blackish not so bright.

The goal....not so gray as it seems to bright for speakers in my particular room.

Maple is a very closed grain wood. It does not like stain very much. It just does not penetrate into the wood. It does dye really well, especially if you can do so in a vacuum chamber.

There are aniline dyes that are made for wood coloring. You could check those out and test in small pieces. I had gotten some from Woodworkers Warehouse a few years ago. They may still carry them. Best of luck with your project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1