new Forte 4's

You are reasonably satisfied with the JBLs in your room, and they are two ways with a 12 inch woofer? I would go with the Forte IV. Personally, never liked the look of the Cornwall, but that should be toward the bottom of the list of reasons to buy or not. 

Nice JBLs, btw. Still have my 4311s I bought in '72.

I’m really tempted by these but I’m also interested in the Cornwall IVs. What do you think, in a room 18x16 (more or less open at one of the shorter walls) and 10’ ceiling, which one is best suited for my room?

Currently trying out some JBL 4349 which work just fine in the room and are great. They do however tend to be a bit bright when played at higher volume (depends on the recording though). 
I have CW, my room is about 13x13, I like the huge soundstage. I think the biggest sound difference is the bass and like I said just even more real sound just due to the size. It would be hard for me to downsize now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Marvel said:

You are reasonably satisfied with the JBLs in your room, and they are two ways with a 12 inch woofer? I would go with the Forte IV. Personally, never liked the look of the Cornwall, but that should be toward the bottom of the list of reasons to buy or not. 

Nice JBLs, btw. Still have my 4311s I bought in '72.

I like the look of the Cornwalls but I agree, Fortes likely look a lot better in a regular living room. 

27 minutes ago, John Ek said:

I like the look of the Cornwalls but I agree, Fortes likely look a lot better in a regular living room. 

there are no substitutes for Cornwalls ---or should I say , no more compromises -----the speaker delivers in spades -buy em - park em  and forget em - you wont need or want anything else

37 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

there are no substitutes for Cornwalls ---or should I say , no more compromises -----the speaker delivers in spades -buy em - park em  and forget em - you wont need or want anything else

My heart says Cornwalls but my wife will likely prefer Fortes. If only Cornwalls came with the distressed oak option (guess it makes a huge difference visually to have a brighter front on speakers of that size and). 

5 minutes ago, John Ek said:

My heart says Cornwalls but my wife will likely prefer Fortes. If only Cornwalls came with the distressed oak option (guess it makes a huge difference visually to have a brighter front on speakers of that size and). 

The Fortes are a perfect size and look great and are as big as I could go in my space but they sound big. Much bigger than my Fortes 1s

51 minutes ago, John Ek said:

How much are you attached to the wife?

• Like 1

Something I have finally concluded. What I was looking for was a wider and deeper soundstage. Over the last year that is what I have tried to achieve with my Primaluna tube integrated amp, my Denefrips Pontus DAC,  my Puffin phono preamp and now my new Forte IVs. The system now sounds much more holographic than my previous setup. So the ultimate system to my ears is one whose synergy creates that holographic soundstage. I think the new speakers really do that well and I don’t think in my sized space larger speakers would substantially make the soundstage better.

23 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

How much are you attached to the wife?

I’m inclined to prefer my wife over huge speakers, in particular if there’s a reasonable option when it comes to the speakers 🙂

She has actually told me to choose whatever I prefer, it’s just that I know she would rather have something smaller and less obtrusive. On the other hand, she doesn’t need long to determine if a speaker is good or not. She also likes speed and scale like me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Ek said:

I’m inclined to prefer my wife over huge speakers, in particular if there’s a reasonable option when it comes to the speakers 🙂

She has actually told me to choose whatever I prefer, it’s just that I know she would rather have something smaller and less obtrusive. On the other hand, she doesn’t need long to determine if a speaker is good or not. She also likes speed and scale like me. 

Hi John, like you, I prefer my beautiful wife over extra large speakers. For me it’s more than just that I prefer things to a certain scale.  Obviously the Forte IVs have only been available for a little over a week and most commenting about the Cornwall IVs versus the Forte IVs have never even heard the Forte IVs.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fido said:

Hi John, like you, I prefer my beautiful wife over extra large speakers. For me it’s more than just that I prefer things to a certain scale.  Obviously the Forte IVs have only been available for a little over a week and most commenting about the Cornwall IVs versus the Forte IVs have never even heard the Forte IVs.

Good point of course, not many have heard the new Fortes yet.

I don’t think I can go wrong with either as long as they are less bright than the JBLs when played loud.

One option would of course be to buy an amp that brings out the best of the JBLs but I imagined that my current  Mark Levinson amps would be a perfect match. Not sure if I’m right in my assumption after what I’ve found after some research,  but it seems that Klipsch speakers sound excellent with a wider range of amps. Or perhaps, less expensive amps (as less power is required) may do the trick with Klipsch speakers. 

The Cornwalls are wide but shallow, you won't be disappointed....I think they look big next to the Heresy but are compact compared to K Horn....so if the room is 18 x 16 they may be fine.   but I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Forte IV, they throw a huge Soundstage.   

I am fortunate to have a nice large dedicated listening room that I can do anything with. And having a very understanding wife is just the icing on the cake. I have had speakers much larger  and much more expensive than my Cornwalls in this room. But none that have sounded better.

Shakey

51 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I wish they would make those grills for the Cornwalls.

Shakey

They really are beautiful in person. The second I attached them to my new Fortes my wife had a huge smile on her face. Totally worth paying the extra $$$$ to get the lambs wool grills for our space and decor.

8 hours ago, Fido said:

Obviously the Forte IVs have only been available for a little over a week and most commenting about the Cornwall IVs versus the Forte IVs have never even heard the Forte IVs.

Hah, nor have most heard the CW4's either. If those Forte 4's are as big a quantum leap over the 3's as the CW4 was over the CW3's they are day and night different. I still can't get over how good those CW4's sounded in Hope. The Forte 3's on the other hand were terribly underwhelming.

• Confused 1