Do I really need a better sub?

marcus923

I just picked up a pair of RF-7's (series 1). Couldn't resist for the price ($200 including a pair of MIT AVT S3 cables)). They are being driven by a Pioneer Elite SC-71. The rest of the system consists of an RC-25, a pair of RB-61's and a 10"  sub. Just curious if a better sub would be a "nice to have", or a "need to have". The sub I'm currently running is the Mirage Nano sub (again couldn't resist the price of $0.00). I understand this question is open for opinion based answers, but I'd just like to hear some input.

20210118_073202.jpg

8 hours ago, marcus923 said:

Just curious if a better sub would be a "nice to have", or a "need to have". The sub I'm currently running is the Mirage Nano sub

Should be okay if you listen to music and movies at low sound levels, but if you turn the volume up and the subwoofer starts making odd sounds, then you will know the answer to your question. If and when you decide to upgrade, a larger sub would be a good match for your RF-7s.

• Like 1

@marcus923,

Welcome to the forum.

20 hours ago, marcus923 said:

10"  sub. The sub I'm currently running is the Mirage Nano sub

Are you sure that the Nano sub is a 10", all I could find was the 8"?

20 hours ago, marcus923 said:

Just curious if a better sub would be a "nice to have", or a "need to have".

I say yes and at minimum a powerful 12" subwoofer.

What are your room dimensions?

Bill

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

...but if you turn the volume up and the subwoofer starts making odd sounds, then you will know the answer to your question. I...

I think that's a good litmus test as to whether you're running your sub beyond its capabilities, or beyond your needs.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 1:57 PM, Ceptorman said:

If it's in the budget, then yes you need one. It's one of those things you didn't know you needed one, until you heard a good one. Those RF-7s are great speakers, but a good sub can help.

I didn't realize how bad my sub was until I bought a Fathom F113.  Huge difference between flabby bloated bass and tight fast bass. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...