Does anyone use an FM amplifier anymore??

Mighty Favog

Hey ya'll !!  After I divorced my wife and moved, I left the antennas and amps for the TV and tuner that worked wonderfully.

Now, in the new house, things are arranged differently. There's now a 50' run from the same model antenna in the attic to the tuner in the basement after one 2-way splitter. Now, the signal strength on the Mac tuner is always up to a "9" but stereo reception comes and goes and is getting annoying. It's always done it, I'm just now got enough hutzba to fix it. The tuner itself is fine, even had it realigned about 5-years ago.

Tomorrow, I driving up to Parts-Express (about 28-miles away) to get an FM amp to install in the attic hoping to find one over 20db increase. Lowe's and Home Depot only had ones with 10db increases and that's geared for UHF/VHF/FM. After looking the specs for those, they cut the strength of FM reception from the mid to upper band (88MHz to 108Mhz) by up to 6db.

2 hours ago, billybob said:

Using an old Archer 25 db for ota.

No channel when unplugged.

Good shopping!

I think I was using the same one. Had it for a thousand years and never let me down. Too bad I left it with my ex-wife when she wanted the system in the bedroom. Told her I would cobble together something else for her that wasn't so extravagant. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

I was looking at one of those, but I guess I need to know if it covers all of the FM band and not only up to 90MHz or so. I'll need it all the way up to 108MHz. More research I do....

10 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

I was looking at one of those, but I guess I need to know if it covers all of the FM band and not only up to 90MHz or so. I'll need it all the way up to 108MHz. More research I do....

this unit  covers  from 90MHZ all the way up to 108MHZ  , I would buy 2 of these  , 1 per receiver -

12 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

Yea, the other line is being used by a receiver in the 1st floor family room. If anything the amp-to-be should help both.

Yes mine is still kicking. It is likely still available. Only thing is it has no variable gain control VGC but,

not needed in my case.

Will look at Randy's link after I get a large cup of Joe...

Do the signal amplifiers add noise or distortion ?

There are simple solutions for boosting the level of FM signals, such as the aerial amplifier. This amplifier has negligible noise at 1.6 dB and a gain of 22 dB.

Since the gain is more than three times higher than the noise level, the amplifier is able to keep the degradation of the signal to noise ratio at minimum proportions.

https://makingcircuits.com/blog/fm-signal-booster-circuit/

FM-booster.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

Thanks!! I ordered two of them, one for the FM and another for TV since the current amp is 25db covering 4 TV's. If it's too strong for the TV's, I can always back it off.

About 3-miles away is the tower for 700 WLW AM radio. Talk about a blow-torch of a transmitter. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLW

Guessing all is cool now with all?