A Nice Topic

BigStewMan

1 minute ago, MyOwn said:

They were full. Son-In-Law works for a major alcohol distributor.

These kinds of paraphernalia come in with goodies 🙂

I've got 2

they sure are beautiful --I've never seen anything of that quality

8 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

they sure are beautiful --I've never seen anything of that quality

I love wood work, My pops was a wood working amateur, this man could bring old wood back to life...

The tops pull to the side for access to inside.

On 2/3/2021 at 5:35 AM, Ceptorman said:

Yes Steve, I agree about being nice, or even a decent person. It's so easy. I was at Home Depot a few weeks ago. An older lady was carting a window across the parking lot to her car. I watched 3 people walk right pass her, and nobody offered to help this 80 year old lady load a 60 lb window! I ran over, loaded it in her back seat, no big deal. She reached into her purse and pulled out a couple dollars and tried to give it to me. I said there's no need for that. She said "I can't believe you helped me". I said I can't believe those 3 people didn't offer to help. She then said "I'm sure you're parents are proud of you". I said I hope so, and told her if I didn't have 10 seconds to help another person then I know they would be disappointed in me. 

Since we are on this subject. I do have an observation....I'm getting tired of all the publicity, congratulations, and hero worship status some people are putting onto others. A video yesterday on FB did it for me. A delivery man untangled an American flag on someone's porch, took 3 seconds. The FB post made it sound like this guy saved a kid from a burning house! They went on about how the world would be a better place if everyone was like this guy. It's a shame we feel like we need to go overboard with these little gestures that require us to put someone on hero status. 

I’ve got a pretty strict definition of a hero.  It’s a person who puts himself at risk in order to save someone else when he could have easily done nothing.  If the person saves you because he has to save himself, and brings you along for the ride, that may be a great guy, but he’s not a hero.  Captain Sullenberger, the airline pilot who saved a plane load of passengers by landing his plane in the Hudson River after bird strikes took out both of his plane’s engines, is to me a very skilled and professional pilot, but he’s not a hero, since he did not have the option to walk away.  He should be commended for his cool head and great skill, and he seems to be a great guy, but that’s it.

Do you agree, or does that seem too strict?  That question is to everyone, not only ceptorman, who is a caring guy, and the only real man in sight on that occasion he described, apparently.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Islander said:

I’ve got a pretty strict definition of a hero.  It’s a person who puts himself at risk in order to save someone else when he could have easily done nothing.  If the person saves you because he has to save himself, and brings you along for the ride, that may be a great guy, but he’s not a hero.  Captain Sullenberger, the airline pilot who saved a plane load of passengers by landing his plane in the Hudson River after bird strikes took out both of his plane’s engines, is to me a very skilled and professional pilot, but he’s not a hero, since he did not have the option to walk away.  He should be commended for his cool head and great skill, and he seems to be a great guy, but that’s it.

Do you agree, or does that seem too strict?  That question is to everyone, not only ceptorman, who is a caring guy, and the only real man in sight on that occasion he described, apparently.

Sully , was an amazing pilot,  he didn't leave the plane until everybody was safe -and everybody walked away - when was the last time , a pilot was able to land a plane in the water --------- and everybody walks away-----no very many --- he is Hero -110%

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MyOwn said:

About?

I'm more interested in the contents than the boxes.There are a couple bottles that I've been looking for the last 3 or 4 years.  I keep missing them.  Didn't know if you could help in that regard.

My wife and I go on bourbon runs whenever we go some where.  We were in Dover Delaware last week and hit all 25 liquor stores in the city while we were there.  I ended up finding 3 bottles.  It's kind of a hobby/obsession.  I'm not a reseller either as I have about 85 bottles here at the house.  I figure that when I retire in a couple years I won't ever need to go to the liquor store again, LOL.

• Like 1

On being nice... long ago, in a faraway place (Wisconsin... the progressive state), an older man held the door open for a younger woman. As she went through the door, she commented 'You don't have to do that because I'm a woman.' He told her, 'I'm not doing it because you're a woman. I'm doing it because I'm a gentleman.'

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Islander said:

I do agree, but I'm ok with someone calling Sully a hero. His story is incredible. I'm just having a little trouble with people getting all this praise for doing something we were all taught to do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Islander said:

Do you agree, or does that seem too strict?  

agree and disagree.  even if a hero can't just walk away, they have to overcome their own fear and muster the courage to take action.  I wonder how many have succumbed because they just accepted the current situation as finite?  I'm not a pilot but if I'm on a plane and the pilot goes down, sure I'll be nervous but I'm taking the controls, not sitting in my seat crying and accepting that I'm about to die. some are paralyzed by fear -- some try anyway.

a hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer. -Ralph Waldo Emerson-

• Like 3