John DeVore goes on a rant about the High End Audio lie that inspired him to start his company

MeloManiac

5 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Within their design limitations I found the KEF LS50 performance very impressive when implemented as a near field setup where they would disappear as a sound source with excellent life size imaging and very musically involving reproduction.

miketn

8414E39A-ECA0-48E6-A14D-9F755D120083.thumb.jpeg.8c62f194688d23c74a99a333113e9184.jpeg

Based on your past positive reviews here, I bought a pair for computer speakers. They are no on top of Klipsch RP600m's waiting for an A/B switch, and a bigger amp that can be fed with a USB port/ESS Sabre DAC for comparison. Initial swap make the Klipsch a winner, probably because of a cheap amp. Either way, near field works great on my desk, but the bass ports near the wall need some tweaking. The speakers simply disappear on certain music!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Based on your past positive reviews here, I bought a pair for computer speakers. They are no on top of Klipsch RP600m's waiting for an A/B switch, and a bigger amp that can be fed with a USB port/ESS Sabre DAC for comparison. Initial swap make the Klipsch a winner, probably because of a cheap amp. Either way, near field works great on my desk, but the bass ports near the wall need some tweaking. The speakers simply disappear on certain music!

Hey Claude if you want to hear the full potential of the KEF LS50 set them up as seen in my picture in a near field well away from any boundary on stands with an amplifier having plenty of power.  I’m using an Arcam SA20  (Class G with 90w @ 4ohm and 150w @ 8 ohm) and love the combination.  

miketn

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 2:49 PM, JohnA said:

Heresy 1s push that limit with about 128 ohms in the midrange.  In its case the higher impedance in the midrange *draws* (impedes current flow) less current (and power) so the 107 dB squawker is not too loud. 

Yep, and the Heresy is the easiest speaker to drive with a tube amp because it's woofer is about 11 ohms impedance, with the other drivers and order of magnitude or more higher.

On 2/3/2021 at 9:21 PM, Chief bonehead said:

Amplifiers have to be robust and be able to handle freq dependent impedances from as high as 50 ohms down to 4 ohms. 

sensitivity does not equal efficiency. 

This quote brings to mind a loud female audience member yelling "Yeah, Tell it, tell it" during a live blues song recording I can't exactly recall. LOL.

In these modern times, amplifiers need to be able to handle 2 ohm loads since so many do dip even lower than 4 ohms, which used to be a "killer of amps."

On 2/6/2021 at 8:20 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Within their design limitations I found the KEF LS50 performance very impressive when implemented as a near field setup where they would disappear as a sound source with excellent life size imaging and very musically involving reproduction.

miketn

So basically, you are listening to TWO opposite extremes in the Intermodulation Distortion realm and liking both?

On 2/6/2021 at 5:20 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I have the KEF LS 50 Wireless with the built in amp and DSP - They sound amazing on my computer desk and I use an HSU sub to fill in the low end -- very impressive speakers.

• Like 1

Near field makes a huge difference. I have a computer desk where I sit with my back to the wall in a 24’ long room. My back is to the wall because I need a green screen for video. I put two Klipsch R-51PM’s on the desk as near field computer speakers. Wow! They sounded great. The ports were firing at the far wall, 20-ish feet away. No one would have recommended those speakers as mains in a 24’ long room. But on my desk they were great. Those were my first Klipsch speakers, my wife has now stolen them for her TV. She’s a great lady and let me replace them with Heresy Ones.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2021 at 1:32 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

So basically, you are listening to TWO opposite extremes in the Intermodulation Distortion realm and liking both?

Well that is one aspect of this experiment and I definitely like both...…. As long as SPL/Distortion is maintained within the LS50 design limits..:smile:

What is also revealed in the experiment is just how beneficial a near field setup can be to minimize the perceived acoustical interference from the room and why if a listener (for whatever reason) doesn't have the ability to acoustically treat/balance the room then a near field setup can create sound reproduction that is low in listener fatigue with excellent clarity/inner detail and I would consider it a great option to consider.

If a person is curious about the quality of their speakers and/or how much the room acoustics are influencing the sound reproduction I highly suggest a temporary near field setup experiment and I believe many might take more serious the need to up grade the room acoustics instead of their equipment. 

miketn

3 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Well that is one aspect of this experiment and I definitely like both...…. As long as SPL/Distortion is maintained within the LS50 design limits..:smile:

What is also revealed in the experiment is just how beneficial a near field setup can be to minimize the perceived acoustical interference from the room and why if a listener (for whatever reason) doesn't have the ability to acoustically treat/balance the room then a near field setup can create sound reproduction that is low in listener fatigue with excellent clarity/inner detail and I would consider it a great option to consider.

If a person is curious about the quality of their speakers and/or how much the room acoustics are influencing the sound reproduction I highly suggest a temporary near field setup experiment and I believe many might take more serious the need to up grade the room acoustics instead of their equipment. 

miketn

Making room acoustics and speaker positioning (even in a good room like yours) top priority will continue to be ignored by 95% of the people, regardless of brand or or type fo speakers. They would rather waste time on things that don't matter much like cables or DACs.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 8:47 AM, Chris A said:

Most amplifiers are voltage feedback devices.  Transconductance amplifiers (such as the First Watt F1, F1J, F2, and F2J, etc.) are effectively current feedback devices--like the modified Howland "current pump" circuit (which any amplifier can be turned into using external networks).  There is an interesting book on this subject:

51vzOuc6A1L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The reason why I mention this is not to disagree, but to point out that acoustic drivers of the types used by Klipsch are all current-driven devices.  The problem, of course, is by using only voltage feedback amplifiers, you also introduce the effects of load back-EMF, which sounds like distortion. I have been exploring the use of these type of amplifiers for driving large compression drivers in order to clean up the output to free it from the effects of back-EMP feedback.  There are downsides to using these type of amplifiers for bass frequencies, but the subjective fidelity gained on HF drivers/horns is documented...by Nelson Pass.

Chris

Here is an amp with currrent mode signaling. http://sparkler-audio.com/portfolio/S502_en.html