Suggestions for reel to reel players

rockhound

Trying to cut down on research time and hoping some of you can help me out. My son is really into all things analog, he has a older Akai 265D R2R that bit the dust. Looking for suggestions on what some decent units are. I believe his tapes are 7-1/2in. This is out of my league as I know nothing about these units. Does anyone have suggestions on brands and model numbers?

@rockhound   I´m still a R2R Lover and owned many since my age of 12 years.The most beautiful and best sounding machine is still in use. It´s a Tandberg TD 20 A.  As your son is driving 7-1/2 inch tapes and not 10,43 inch with NAB Adaptar tapes  I would like to give you two recommondations based on my own experience in my youth.

There is the Philips NA 4506 which is a exciting peace of high tec R2R for 7-1/2

1719323023_PhilipsNA4506.jpg.578c913f5c3bab42f3160d61b3c8a300.jpg

and the TEAC X 300 R ( looks similar to models from AKAI )

524884285_TeacX300R.jpg.716aa159d3d509ceb6b91afd32755d68.jpg

Of course I would buy them sec. hand fully revised only.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rockhound said:

@MicroMara thanks for the suggestions so far. he mentioned something about being able to play both sides of the tape without flipping it over as a feature he was looking for. Keep the suggestions coming!

The Teac X 300 R is a autoreverse ( bi -directional )  machine as well as the Pioneer 707

• Like 2

I have a Revox A77 Mk IV with the cover and the NAB hubs (need o-rings) that I am going to sell as it is.  Like most all of them, they will need gone through. But to my understanding, this was quite a well regarded machine back in its day.  My daughter goes to the U of A and will be in this weekend and could bring it back potentially if any interest. 

There's a place in TN that specializes in these units.  

https://www.jmtecharts.com/

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I have a Revox A77 Mk IV with the cover and the NAB hubs (need o-rings) that I am going to sell as it is.  Like most all of them, they will need gone through. But to my understanding, this was quite a well regarded machine back in its day.  My daughter goes to the U of A and will be in this weekend and could bring it back potentially if any interest. 

There's a place in TN that specializes in these units.  

https://www.jmtecharts.com/

Will shoot you a PM.

57 minutes ago, Marvel said:

@seti  you still have the pioneer?

I did the rare good deed. There was an old old church in the delta that had alot of reels of a minister who had long passed away and they had no sound system. They answered an ad for some horns I was selling. Long story short I gave them two JBL 2350 horns, two JBL 4550 bass cabinets, a  pro cassette player, a pro cd player, and the beautiful pioneer 707. I thought the guy was gonna cry. I used it for many years and I didn't sell it since it was given to me.

I can say the Pioneer 707 is the best I have used but it does require some maintenance.

Lots of Teacs would be fine.

More importantly, does he already have any tapes recorded at 3.75 inches? If they are all at 7.5 ips, you could also look at decks that could use 10.5 inch reels. They do usually cost more though.

I have an Akai 360D. Never powered it up. A widow gave it to me, it belonged to her late husband. It's a tank, would certainly need to be serviced.