Heresy IIs (value and recommended amp)

formanj

Looking at picking up a pair of Heresy IIs with matching serial numbers.  Seller states that they are 4 ohm.  They are in exceptional condition with factory risers.  He is asking $1200 claiming that they are near mint.  Is it insane to consider offering $1000.  I thought that these might be a good entry point into the Klipsch sound for me.  

Also, I currently possess a Stereotech 1200 receiver, and I am wondering if anyone has any idea about how that might pair with this set of Heresy IIs.  Any information would be helpful!

@formanj,

Welcome to the forum.

14 hours ago, formanj said:

Looking at picking up a pair of Heresy IIs with matching serial numbers.  Seller states that they are 4 ohm.  They are in exceptional condition with factory risers.  He is asking $1200 claiming that they are near mint.  Is it insane to consider offering $1000. 

With the recently released Heresy IVs now the norm, other versions creep up in price for those who want a pair but just can't see themselves going the new speaker route.  I think on average $1200.00 is kind of steep with $800.00 to $1000.00 being the top out for a "mint" pair with all the fixin's.

14 hours ago, formanj said:

Also, I currently possess a Stereotech 1200 receiver, and I am wondering if anyone has any idea about how that might pair with this set of Heresy IIs.

Never heard this one but do feel that Heresys(I, II, etc.) are pretty amplifier friendly and have never had any issues mating them with the likes of NAD, Anthem, Acurus, Sansui, Denon, Onkyo/Integra, Cambridge Audio, B&K, Yamaha, etc.

Bill

Willand,  Thanks for the response!  In researching sold items on Ebay, that is precisely what I figured.  The Stereotech 1200 was designed and engineered by McIntosh as a lower-cost line that was actually produced in Japan. It was a short-lived line meant to compete with the more commercially successful receivers of the era.  My area tech guy went through it and informed me that it was comparable build quality to the Marantz, Pioneers, and Sansuis of the era (early 70's).  It is 50 Watts/Channel RMS. If any of you ever come across one, I highly recommend it for the price, for I believe that it compares favorably to the Marantz 2250 that I also own (especially since the Stereotech only cost me $100).   It is a "sleeper" because no one knows the name.

Stereotech 1200.jpg

Edited by formanj
Include a picture

Heresy II's for $1200? I think that's insane, although as willand has pointed out, with the introduction of the Heresy IV, prices of the earlier versions are oddly creeping up.

I paid $675 for my used pair of  4 ohm Heresy II's, and that was roughly 3-4 years ago, and I thought THAT was high.

Personally, I'd keep looking.

They can be run on 8 OHM connections. The price is good I think depending on condition. The used prices are going up because new ones are so crazy price. f you want them offer 1000 but prepared to pay full price. They will probably sound awesome with that receiver. I use HK 430 and 630 for mine. 

Are they walnut finish??? You got pic of them? 

20 minutes ago, ricktate said:

Are they walnut finish??? You got pic of them? 

They look to be oak from the bases but not 100% sure because with the limited lighting I just can't tell for sure.  Hopefully they still have labels.

Bill

Just purchased these speakers for $1000.  They look and sound absolutely gorgeous. The previous owner provided the original receipt of purchase and the advertising literature that came with the speakers in 1986.  The Stereotech 1200 receiver makes them sing.  Thanks for the advice and perspective.  I am now a first-time owner of Heresy IIs!

The speakers actually do state "4 ohm" right on the back.  I have read a few different opinions on this.  Are they technically the same as the ones marked "8 ohm"?  Just curious.  

1 hour ago, formanj said:

Just purchased these speakers for $1000.  They look and sound absolutely gorgeous. The previous owner provided the original receipt of purchase and the advertising literature that came with the speakers in 1986.  The Stereotech 1200 receiver makes them sing.  Thanks for the advice and perspective.  I am now a first-time owner of Heresy IIs!

The speakers actually do state "4 ohm" right on the back.  I have read a few different opinions on this.  Are they technically the same as the ones marked "8 ohm"?  Just curious.  

yeah , my guess is these are the round Heresy Ii  terminal cups   -------some  cups said 4 ohms , others said 8 ohms ----same crossover ------no idea why , but I have seen both - I  have 2 spare sets of Heresy II Crossovers , I have both  square and round terminal cups --

Klipsch Heresy II crossover pair