Amp for 5.2

garyclayton

Hi all, I have the RF7lll towers.  Want to add the RC64lll centre, also the RP600m, and 2 subs not sure if it will be 12s or15s.  The room is 300 sq ft and listening to music is my main desire.  Can you all recommend an Amp that will work for this 5.2 and give me the power to drive the RF7lll's.

Thanks all, Gary

Hey Gary...sounds like you're more of a 2 channel guy....me too. How about separates, a pre/amp combo? Those RF7llls are power hungry. 

There are many variables, but your budget will tell you where to look. Will you listen to vinyl, CDs, stream? Room treatments can help a lot also, separate listening room?

Is buying used an option? I believe there's a pretty healthy after market in many areas of Canada, you can save a lot. 

Kind of looking to do the same here but in 5.1 config, currently running RF5's, RS3's RC7, SVS PB16 Ultra, powered by Denon X4700 but looking to some more dynamics to my set up. I understand that certain amps may be too bright for the Klipsch's and looking @ 5 channel amp around the $600 to $800 range. 

Edited by Majestictone

9 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Hey Gary...sounds like you're more of a 2 channel guy....me too. How about separates, a pre/amp combo? Those RF7llls are power hungry. 

There are many variables, but your budget will tell you where to look. Will you listen to vinyl, CDs, stream? Room treatments can help a lot also, separate listening room?

Is buying used an option? I believe there's a pretty healthy after market in many areas of Canada, you can save a lot. 

Hi Ceptorman, thanks again for your expert advice.  I would be listening to vinyl, CD's, and streaming.  I can get a real good deal on a new Denon 8500 ($3000 cdn) ($2400 US).  It's rated 150 watt in Stereo do you think that would be enough to get the most out of the RF-7lll speakers?  If it is enough then I would be able to just have this one amp for all my needs..if I were to go this route if I understand this correctly the SLP12's or SLP15's have their own built in amps so in stereo I would hear the towers and the amps?

Is there any reason or is it possible to bring the centre channel into the music scenario?

Sorry for all the questions as I am a beginner on all this and appreciate listening to advise from people with your experience and knowledge.

Thank you Ceptorman, Gary

1 hour ago, Majestictone said:

Kind of looking to do the same here but in 5.1 config, currently running RF5's, RS3's RC7, SVS PB16 Ultra, powered by Denon X4700 but looking to some more dynamics to my set up. I understand that certain amps may be too bright for the Klipsch's and looking @ 5 channel amp around the $600 to $800 range. 

Majestictone are you thinking the 4700 us too bright for your system?  Second question, what exactly does that reference mean in relation to what your looking for in an amp?

Thanks, Gary

@garyclayton   I have four RF7ii's in my theater,  and i'm in the same boat as you.

i'm waiting for the Monolith 9X to come in stock... apparently it's a monster and incredible value. 

I run four RF7ii's and an RC64ii off a  pioneer VSX823? --    it's MAX 80watt per channel, 2ch driven.

it DOES work - but  i have heard that the big towers dip down to like 2.7ohm and i'm sure this cheap receiver i have is leaving a lot on the table.

i'm looking to go Marantz AV7706 and a Monolith 9X --- everyone seems to say,  go separates if you can & the RF towers are all power hungry.

• Like 1

@garyclayton, I've used a Denon x4300h in a room similar size, but with 4 x Heresy and 2 ten inch subs, so you should not have a problem if you buy an 8500!

Where are you in Canada?

Used market is pretty strong in some of our larger cities; Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary (a bit less).

Once you close in on what you want, you could check for a demo or used unit best place is on Canada Audio Mart, buyer beware as always!

Full disclosure, I am selling my Denon to go to a vintage receiver which will run front L/R and 2 channel music,  and 3 channel power amp to provide 5.2 channel HT.

Best wishes in your search.

14 minutes ago, garyclayton said:

Majestictone are you thinking the 4700 us too bright for your system?  Second question, what exactly does that reference mean in relation to what your looking for in an amp?

Thanks, Gary

Hey Gary,

Let me rephrase it, while the X4700 is perfect, I wanted more power to drive the speakers by adding an amplifier to the X4700. I am not sure if the amp would add a color character to the sound output such as bright, warm, middy in tone or am I such a newb that I have no idea what I am talking about ?..🤪 Also with what amps I have looking at, they seem to be 15-20 yrs old and would buy such an older amp would cause issues with caps and resistors leaking down the road? (Acurus A125 - Sunfire Cinema - Adcom GFA7000 - B&K Reference 200-5 Rotel RBM1075) or would I be better off with a New Outlaw 5000 ?

a

23 minutes ago, Majestictone said:

Hey Gary,

Let me rephrase it, while the X4700 is perfect, I wanted more power to drive the speakers by adding an amplifier to the X4700. I am not sure if the amp would add a color character to the sound output such as bright, warm, middy in tone or am I such a newb that I have no idea what I am talking about ?..🤪 Also with what amps I have looking at, they seem to be 15-20 yrs old and would buy such an older amp would cause issues with caps and resistors leaking down the road? (Acurus A125 - Sunfire Cinema - Adcom GFA7000 - B&K Reference 200-5 Rotel RBM1075) or would I be better off with a New Outlaw 5000 ?

a

So you're 4700 is 125 watts, how much wattage are you thinking you need for your speakers?

Gary

44 minutes ago, MC39693 said:

@garyclayton, I've used a Denon x4300h in a room similar size, but with 4 x Heresy and 2 ten inch subs, so you should not have a problem if you buy an 8500!

Where are you in Canada?

Used market is pretty strong in some of our larger cities; Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary (a bit less).

Once you close in on what you want, you could check for a demo or used unit best place is on Canada Audio Mart, buyer beware as always!

Full disclosure, I am selling my Denon to go to a vintage receiver which will run front L/R and 2 channel music,  and 3 channel power amp to provide 5.2 channel HT.

Best wishes in your search.

Thanks MC, I'm in the Vancouver area.  I will check out that site "Canada Audio Mart"

Thanks for your help and good luck with your search.  How much power are you looking for in your 2 channel amp?

Gary

1 hour ago, MercedesBerater said:

@garyclayton   I have four RF7ii's in my theater,  and i'm in the same boat as you.

i'm waiting for the Monolith 9X to come in stock... apparently it's a monster and incredible value. 

I run four RF7ii's and an RC64ii off a  pioneer VSX823? --    it's MAX 80watt per channel, 2ch driven.

it DOES work - but  i have heard that the big towers dip down to like 2.7ohm and i'm sure this cheap receiver i have is leaving a lot on the table.

i'm looking to go Marantz AV7706 and a Monolith 9X --- everyone seems to say,  go separates if you can & the RF towers are all power hungry.

Thanks, I'll look into those ones as well!

@garyclayton, the 2 channel receiver I use is a Luxman R-117 (vintage circa 1990)  rated at 160 watts... old school as in Luxman R series tend to bench at about 1.3 times the rated watts. It has great sound and, 2 pre out to run my subs, so in two channel mode I can still have LF down to 18Hz. I run my TT through it also. 

I have purchased from Ayreborn Audio in Vancouver, no affiliation other than satisfied customer. They have good sales around the fall/winter holidays and from time to time on floor/demo models. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, garyclayton said:

So you're 4700 is 125 watts, how much wattage are you thinking you need for your speakers?

Gary

Well, it sounds pretty darn good now but then again, I've only had the new receiver and the SVS PB16 Ultra in service since this past weekend. My ears are getting dialed in as well as the settings on my sub to accommodate my viewing area.  I know watching streaming movies vs UHD Blue rays will always sound different and I have yet had the chance to play a movie but plan on doing so this weekend. Since the receiver is "rated for 125W into 2 channels driven" this isn't a true indication on how much power wattage is going to the speakers and manufactures will not give us the true data but I am pretty sure it is not 125 watts into 9 channels and it was true, the chassis of the receiver would be twice the size and 80 lbs. heavier than it is now. 

Most of my listening is 80% movies 20% music and I am not watching the movies at reference levels but my thought process would seem to indicate that at reference levels, you would need some power to get the most out of my speakers as I was told on this forum when I purchased my RF5's that I shouldn't wimp on power because these speakers love to be driven and that has been in the head ever since which is why I am thinking that I "need" that extra power. 

1 hour ago, MercedesBerater said:

@Majestictone   capacitor life is in the thousands and thousands of hours - often referenced as 30 years.

everything you're looking at *should* be fine.   but new(er) might be less failure/maintenance prone. 

Thank you for this helpful tip... I will continue to AudioGon to see what pops up....