Amp for 5.2

garyclayton

25 minutes ago, garyclayton said:

I was looking on the back of the Monolith 9X that there are no subwoofer outputs.  How would I go about connecting  2x SLP120 subwoofers since those subs are internally powered?

Thanks, Gary

If I believe I'm correct, you don't use a separate power amp to run your subs since they have their own dedicated amplifiers built in already. 

right- if the subs are powered with their own dedicated amplifier - you'll just need a 'sub out' on whatever processor you have. 

source material >   processor / AVR   >    amplifier                 >  speakers

>     subwoofers

1 hour ago, Majestictone said:

Well, it sounds pretty darn good now but then again, I've only had the new receiver and the SVS PB16 Ultra in service since this past weekend. My ears are getting dialed in as well as the settings on my sub to accommodate my viewing area.  I know watching streaming movies vs UHD Blue rays will always sound different and I have yet had the chance to play a movie but plan on doing so this weekend. Since the receiver is "rated for 125W into 2 channels driven" this isn't a true indication on how much power wattage is going to the speakers and manufactures will not give us the true data but I am pretty sure it is not 125 watts into 9 channels and it was true, the chassis of the receiver would be twice the size and 80 lbs. heavier than it is now. 

Most of my listening is 80% movies 20% music and I am not watching the movies at reference levels but my thought process would seem to indicate that at reference levels, you would need some power to get the most out of my speakers as I was told on this forum when I purchased my RF5's that I shouldn't wimp on power because these speakers love to be driven and that has been in the head ever since which is why I am thinking that I "need" that extra power. 

Thanks Majestictone, I'm 80/20 the other way so I'm gonna have an emphasis on how good an amp pushes the RF-7lll I have.  I am clueless on what I can use for speakers on a music orientated amp, can most amps accommodate a sub woofer or 2 woofers, can they work with centre channel speakers or is there any advantage to use a centre channel speaker if indeed you can?

Any thoughts on the above us appreciated.

Thanks, Gary

2 minutes ago, garyclayton said:

Thanks Majestictone, I'm 80/20 the other way so I'm gonna have an emphasis on how good an amp pushes the RF-7lll I have.  I am clueless on what I can use for speakers on a music orientated amp, can most amps accommodate a sub woofer or 2 woofers, can they work with centre channel speakers or is there any advantage to use a centre channel speaker if indeed you can?

Any thoughts on the above us appreciated.

Thanks, Gary

Gary,

On my X4700, it has 2 sub outs as well as all the other 9 channels and bi-amped for 11 channels.