Raise that Sub!

tubetwister

1 hour ago, Ole Dollar said:

Thank you, will give it a try. 

I should mention this room is very open with only 1 corner, no back wall until about 20 ft behind listening position. Other side wall is open for 5 ft at front, ceiling slopes on front wall from 9 ft to 20 ft.  I don't think most rooms would need 13db boost at 20hz

• Like 2

In my case, using 4 subs, two front and two back, how might this play out?

My only EQ has been done with my ears. My Yamaha CX-A5200 can do all the magic calibration stuff, but I just use my own ears.

Note the rear subs are about 4 feet higher than the front subs. So by default, the rear subs are raised, and at the ear level of front row center. But they are aimed at a 45 degree angle outboard, with the idea of reflecting the sound off of the side walls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khornukopia said:

I bet you had some good guidance!

We have an elevator in our home, and this is what we always use when moving anything (RF-7 III's) that is heavy and/or bulky. No way would I attempt carrying large items up a stairs!

So my subs got elevated before they got elevated.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/6/2021 at 11:33 PM, rigma said:

Who the hell came up with that bonehead idea?🥵

I did something similar when I delivered my Tiger Wood Jubilees to a guy in Toronto. EXCEPT we had gravity working for us going down the stairs not up.

On 8/3/2021 at 8:48 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I did something similar when I delivered my Tiger Wood Jubilees to a guy in Toronto. EXCEPT we had gravity working for us going down the stairs not up.

We do some crazy stuff,  but this one was pretty scary.  

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 9:43 AM, tubetwister said:

The other consideration is the floor surface. Is it tile, hard wood, concrete, or carpet? 

My theater seating is a series of 3 riser platforms. The rear most two subs are elevated as a result, being nearer the center rows ear level. The front subs are in corners, at floor level, but near ear level for those seated front row center.

beautiful cinema room ,  how many speakers are you running ,

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It’s not a case of the subwoofer cabinets vibrating or the subs sucking, it just seemed like a simple way to reduce any structurally-transmitted vibrations from travelling to the neighbours downstairs.  It was not tested, but seemed like it should reduce any sensations of deep thudding bass late at night, in the case of the bedroom system.  Also, bringing the subs nearer to ear level allows them to run at slightly reduced volume, which helps keep the sound in my room, where it belongs.

As for the main system in the living room, although the effects of floor bounce may be greatly minimized at the lower frequencies, due to the large wavelengths of deep bass notes, moving the subwoofers off the floor was one of those “maybe the effect is minimal, but why not do it just in case” tactics used by those of us who don’t have the benefit of advanced testing equipment and the expertise and experience to use it.

As I’ve said before, sometimes it takes a 10% change in a system to make an audible difference, but if you make 5 improvements that contribute 2% each, the sum difference can be audible, making those mostly theoretical changes worthwhile, even if any one of them is below the level of audibility.  Of course, those numbers are theoretical, too, and are just used to make the point, not to form the bedrock of an unassailable argument.

While it’s not lab-tested proof, the fact that I’ve never had a noise complaint, in spite of running  a 1000 wpc horn-loaded system for 15 years in a condo apartment, gives some indication that the simple sound transmission reduction tactics employed do seem to be effective.  That’s all.

• Like 1