KPT-1260H center channel for Forte III?

paulgyro

I've been in love with my Forte IIIs for the last two months.  Now I just need to find a center that will work well with the Fortes.

People have thrown out various options but upon looking closely at the drivers/horns used on the Fortes and the KPT-1260H they seem to match. 

The biggest difference is of course 3 way vs 2 way.

Fortes midrange is : K-70 1.75" titanium compression on K-703-M horn

KPT-1260H tweeter/ midrange:

K-70-G 1.75" titanium compression on K-703-M horn

Forte Woofer

K-281 12"

KPT-1260H woofer:

K-281-ST 12"

Based on the similar drivers how well of a match will they be?

Any sonic reasons not to use the KPT-1260H up front in my system? 

Paul

5 matching forts would be nice, center would be tough since I like the screen centered at eye level like driving a car

Think about a Heresy any vintage in the center, you cant go wrong, you could also use two for the rears. Voice on these is good

If you score a pair, you could use two side by side as the center with a Y cable feeding a dedicated amp out of the center pre amp. It would rock. 2 12 in woofers. It's on my list of things to try......someday

PS put a location on you Avatar, doesn't have to be too specific

13 hours ago, Bubo said:

5 matching forts would be nice, center would be tough since I like the screen centered at eye level like driving a car

Think about a Heresy any vintage in the center, you cant go wrong, you could also use two for the rears. Voice on these is good

If you score a pair, you could use two side by side as the center with a Y cable feeding a dedicated amp out of the center pre amp. It would rock. 2 12 in woofers. It's on my list of things to try......someday

PS put a location on you Avatar, doesn't have to be too specific

Interesting idea around two Heresy's as centers! That would be epic but I've never heard of anyone doing it before.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, paulgyro said:

Interesting idea around two Heresy's as centers! That would be epic but I've never heard of anyone doing it before.  

Take the Lead

If wall mount put 2 under the tv on slant risers or platform mid horns aimed at ear level for fav chair

2 Heresys can be had for approx $400 total

Y cable $5 at the HW store

Use an extra amp you have laying around, line level is line level

The K70 G has been used in 2 way pro speakers soooo you could also find a KV4 with the same mid horn as the Forte III minus the mumps and you can screw on the k70g compression driver and you got a timbre match, though you'd have to look at the measurements. I personally did this. I had a single Forte III, took the horn with mumps and k70g and dropped it into the KV4(no photos sorry) and it worked for me, but i don't have golden ears and i had it set up with Chorus II's that had Ti diaphragms for the tweeter and mids, not Forte III.

I have done the Y split to dedicated power amp (just a little chip amp) then to two Martin Logan LX16 as the Center channel, it worked just fine. You can move the two speakers around, mine were small so I actually tried them on their sides) to get the best dispersion. Two Heresy will take up some room!

Throw in another suggestion for the RC-7. If the copper driver mismatched color bothers you, i'm sure there's suitable drop in black 8" drivers. I had an RC-7 that i dropped the drivers from-i forget the RF-7 II's little brother name.

Got another one for you. If you don't mind a short floor stander, a kg 3.2. Drop in the tweeter from the Forte III. 

If Klipsch offers parts upgrade kit to Forte IV, you'll have tons of options and possibilities for a timbre matched center with your spare Forte III parts. 

078.JPG

So I broke down and bought the KPT-1260H.

Why? Same woofer, same mid-range as Forte AND...get this.  I got it new for $650 including taxes and shipping.

That and an 8" stand for $50.

I expect this to be a killer setup.

I'll keep you guys in the loop how it works out.

Paul 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good evening all.  So I've finally pulled myself away enjoying my system long enough to write up a little review of the Klipsch 1260H from their pro line with info and pictures.

For those who just wanted the bottom-line, the 1260H matches great with the Forte III!  Tone and dynamics are very similar in large part due to the common drivers.   Forte III has a bit more high end being a three way but the 1260H does will extending up to 20k hz and down to 50 hz where it starts rolling off..  It makes a great center.  I put it on a little 9" stand and used rubber wedges to tilt it back as it tilts down 8 degrees out of the box.  Seeing it's enclosure is made of plastics, that is ABS + 10% glass, it resonates too much.  Perhaps it would resonate less if it was wall mounted.  Seeing it's not I opened it up and used "Sonic Barrier 1-1/4" 3-Layer Acoustic Sound Damping Material" from Parts Express to damp it more.  It tightened up the enclosure a great deal and really helped male vocals.

There was a little quality control issue with the speaker as some plastic sheeting they used between the horn and the compress driver wasn't trimmed back properly.  I was able to get it to lay down nicely and didn't need to cut it.

Here are a few pictures.

Over all I'm happy to finally have completed my system!

20210213_163834.jpg

20210227_133907.jpg

• Like 1