Forte I - different crossovers in each speaker

jajaja

While inspecting the crossovers in my recently acquired Fortes to determine if replacement parts are needed, I found that each speaker has different crossover builds. Based on the pictures I've attached, can anyone tell if one is newer than the other? Only one appears to be stock. Any reason why someone would change one but not the other? Looking to do my first Cripes upgrade, so your thoughts are appreciated.

FORTEI_small01.png

FORTEI small02.png

Here are the ones I'm looking to use as replacements. I know I could just replace the caps, but I might not mind paying a bit more for the aesthetic value. If I had more time I might build the thing myself, but I currently have many irons in the fire.Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

bktypeforte_med-2.jpeg.953674fc5881853d83ed551f8dcf0dea.jpeg

• Do the speaker boxes have serial number / model number labels on the back and can you take photos.  That info might provide some background.  Bacek has a good guess IMHO.  Wouldn't it be something if they are different models.
  • Like 1

the top pic says forte' but a date of 3/7/99... fortes werent made in 99.  wonder if thats a updated forte x-over supplied by klipsch for some reason,  maybe the original was bad or broken etc?  definitely different parts on the 2 but if they meet the same specs they probably work ok. 

do the speakers sound ok/good & both sound the same?  if they sound ok the caps/crossovers probably dont "need" to be replaced, but up to you if you feel the need to update them.  & even with some irons in the fire, soldering in new caps on these boards is very quick & easy... & you dont need the big 250v sonicaps, plenty of other quality 100v caps out there that will sound just as good & fit on the boards better. 

aesthetic value doesnt matter much since the crossovers are hidden inside the speaker...  

PXL_20210207_205358422.thumb.jpg.2cb9d31cfca127f8601b65747722836c.jpgPXL_20210207_205337135.thumb.jpg.100ba0290647d289870f8e78c8f2227a.jpg

Here are the serials. They both sound ok, but I'm coming from Heresy I's so maybe it's just me. I got them from a guy on CL (thanks Alerts forum!) but I forgot to ask if he did any modding or repairs. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the Crites crossovers and diaphragms anyway, I was just confused about why they had different CO's. Plus I could barely jimmy the bigger one out of the hole. Thanks for the replies!

The top photo looks like it says 1989 to me.

I worked for a Klipsch dealer and bought a pair of black Fortes new in 1988. When I got home I checked out the crossovers and found the same thing: one had yellow caps and the other blue. I remember I called the factory and nicely suggested they were getting rid of old crossovers this way. In any case they sent me a new yellow cap c'over and I sent the old back.

6 hours ago, Blu Azure said:

I remember I called the factory and nicely suggested they were getting rid of old crossovers this way

It does not make sense. If you have stock of old crossovers it will take 2x faster  to get rid of them in pairs then to mix them with new.

Maybe they already started to factor Forte II in parallel and someone put wrong gone. Any way capacitance values can help to resolve that.

8 hours ago, Bacek said:

It does not make sense. If you have stock of old crossovers it will take 2x faster  to get rid of them in pairs then to mix them with new.

Maybe they already started to factor Forte II in parallel and someone put wrong gone. Any way capacitance values can help to resolve that.

As posted above, early on Klipsch was still using the PCB used in the original forte I with different component values for the forte II.

On 2/7/2021 at 9:29 AM, EpicKlipschFan said:

the top pic says forte' but a date of 3/7/99... fortes werent made in 99.  wonder if thats a updated forte x-over supplied by klipsch for some reason,  maybe the original was bad or broken etc?  definitely different parts on the 2 but if they meet the same specs they probably work ok. 

It says 1989.  I thought that it was 99 at first too. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have a similar question/info for OP @jajaja - I have two sets of Forte 1, getting ready to sell one set and just popped inside to make sure everything was kosher. 

One set has a crossover with the yellow caps and one has a crossover with with the blue caps.  The one with the yellow caps has the stapled labels on the back, and the one with the blue caps has had the label come off, perhaps because they were the un-stapled labels as posted above. Definitely strange that the boards were mixed between two speakers that are consecutive in serial numbers.

Anyone have any further information about this?

IMG_6858.JPG

IMG_6860.JPG

• 8 months later...
48 minutes ago, PrishPreen said:

Here's one of my 1985 Forte crossovers. I haven't seen any pictures of this round design, built right on the plate. Early version?

I'm about to swap to Dayton caps. If it doesn't look to embarrassing, I'll post an 'after' pic...

crossover1.jpg

the capacitors are crammed , very tight  .........pita to replace , I would recommend a couple of coffees and Cognac -

• Haha 1