Klipschorn with Anthem ARC room correction - hmm

dtximages

Anyone else like their Khorns, Lascalas, Belles, or other big Klipsches with room correction?  I just ran ARC again and I can tell it took out some big midbass hump but overall, they just sound dead, not as dynamic.  Of course, if I listen a while, my ears adjust but the highs just seem to sparkle less.  Maybe more flat.  But is that really what we're looking for?

Maybe these speakers aren't supposed to be "fixed".

Important note:  My room does suck..  I tweaked the ARC settings to bring low freq to flat (i.e. don't roll off) then I bumped up the high freq to not roll off as much.  The corrected curve LOOKs flatter, but gosh its less exciting.

Anyone else have experience with this?  Dirac Live?  Probably the same effect. 

Attached the curve pdf.

KH and KH w Sub 02052021.pdf

I use Audessy on my 2 channel K-horn with horn sub setup. However prior to running it I used REW to EQ and time align.  In my experience Audessy and the rest are good at integrating multi channel systems and making small EQ changes, not so much with challenging rooms.

3 hours ago, dtximages said:

Dirac Live?  Probably the same effect. 

Yes.  And it turns out that the Emotiva XMC-1 defaults to Dirac settings every time you switch inputs.  And you can't delete the Dirac settings...:sad:

Here is what Dirac Live Full did to my Jubilees (measurements at 1 m instead of at the listening position):

1540367304_JubilleeSPLResponseWithWithoutDirac(1M)RedwithDirac.jpg.9dc7c96731e1e19da61f07104efcc0af.jpg

The green trace was the one using only the Xilica XP-8080 to flatten the response, and the red trace is the "improved" SPL response, taken from nine positions and averaged at the listening positions.  I don't like these "automatic" packages that use measurements from the listening position.  They can't seem to separate out the room modes from the actual loudspeaker "minimum phase" peaks and troughs. 

And I'm really not happy with having to turn off Dirac every time I switch the inputs on the preamp--with no way to delete the Dirac settings (not even through a complete preamp reset cycle). Phooey on Emotiva...

Chris

By the way, that 1.5-2 dB rise in the HF channel above 500 Hz is due to the D-75A amplifier gain control moving downward (which powers the Jub bass bins) because the dogs and I keep running into it when walking by.  It's the bottom amplifier in my rack and it has more movements than the other amplifier gain controls by a large factor...

At any rate, Dirac should have boosted the low end to make up for it.  It didn't really do a very good job of doing that--as you can see.

Chris

7 hours ago, dtximages said:

highs just seem to sparkle less

I have Khorns with a Belle between.  Audyssey improves the system, increasing clarity, but AFTER the Audyssey run, I turn up the bass a la the Harmon curve, and also the treble just a bit, contrary to the Harman curve.  It sounds very dynamic.

Audyssey Flat takes the worst kinks out of the curve, then I adjust it to taste. 

The K77 series tweeters [stock in Khorn & Belle] need a boost above 10K; if you have tone controls that have 1 dB increments you might be able to fine tune it AFTER running your room correction, restoring the sparkle.  Mine go out to 15K, (or 16K, or 17K on axis, with Audyssey flat and treble control at + 3 dB, but our ears don't, so no matter).

Gary, we've talked about this many times.  My version of Audyssey was completely unlistenable (the base version that came with the Onkyo Pre/Pro I was using at the time).  The Dirac Full Live version (the "extra" version that allows for some customization of the room SPL curve) works much better for me.

But "better" isn't nearly good enough in my listening room with the Jubs.  The two "room correction software" suites I've tried both fail miserably to achieve what I would call a better result than using REW and a DSP crossover and a few minutes of your time, placing the microphone on-axis and one metre in front of each loudspeaker:

and...

Chris

I recommend Sonarworks 4. It also has a wet/dry feature so you can tweak how much correction you want. I do not have big speakers though and run off a Surface Pro.

Also just a thought, you asked if thats what we want, flat etc. Unless thats how it sounds good to you, I would say you just want it to sound great to you whatever that may be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk