modern SS amp for new Heresy's IV

Fasthenk65

Dear all,

Decided on the new Heresy IV (new to Klipsch). Heard them with Cambridge Audio CXA61 and V2 streamer. Perfect! Also listened to a (EL 34) tube amp, even (bit) nicer but don't want to complicate things (I am downsizing from to analytical Naim chains and was more busy with equipment then music). Want to go back to simple and pure.

Looking at Naim Atom or the cambridge CXA61 I listened to or the new Leak 130.... Any other candidates I should put on my list? Not looking for Vintage. Want to stream and listen whole days (while working..). Radio Paradise is 80% on (mellow rock). Advise appreciated.

• Like 1

I have not heard this unit and, generally, I would be cautious about class d and Klipsch speakers.  However, John Darko did a review of the M33 on Youtube and had it paired with Forte IIIs.  I give him a certain amount of credibility.  But that is just my opinion.

I was once a system synergy skeptic until I had it slap me right in the face.  Now I am a firm believer in the idea that amp / speaker pairing is crucial.  It is difficult to find reviewers who are matching exactly the same gear you are interested in.  It is even more difficult to know how much credence to give to a particular reviewer - never mind random goobers like me.

Naim, Cambridge and NAD all have excellent reputations.  I wish you the best in your search.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cicerogue said:

I have not heard this unit and, generally, I would be cautious about class d and Klipsch speakers.  However, John Darko did a review of the M33 on Youtube and had it paired with Forte IIIs.  I give him a certain amount of credibility.  But that is just my opinion.

I was once a sy

stem synergy skeptic until I had it slap me right in the face.  Now I am a firm believer in the idea that amp / speaker pairing is crucial.  It is difficult to find reviewers who are matching exactly the same gear you are interested in.  It is even more difficult to know how much credence to give to a particular reviewer - never mind random goobers like me.

Naim, Cambridge and NAD all have excellent reputations.  I wish you the best in your search.

Thank you.

maybe I can borrow some amps and bring them to my Klipsch dealer... maybe I should keep it simple, I liked the cambridge so why not buy it... if i can't resist the drive I can always buy a well tested (on Klipsch) tube amp next to it later..

1 hour ago, Cicerogue said:

I have many of the class D boards available at the present time except the N-core of which I have heard nothing but praise for. The only Icepower I have experimented with is the 50ASX2SE which is a very respectable D board with a tube kind of sound. The D board I like the best is the Texas Instruments TPA3255 which I could live with if it were the only amplifier I have. Excellent sound lacking nothing in quality of sound. Outstanding bass, smooth mids and vocals with great sound stage. Available cheap on Ebay to try before buying a more expensive receiver. Naturally having someone with D amplifiers to listen to before purchasing would be best but these days very limited for most. I have most of the cheaper offerings available for many years on Ebay and to me they are too thin sounding for my taste. Class D is the wave of the future in amplification in most consumer products. More then likely you al have already heard class D in modern televisions. Some televisions have acceptable sound with the limitations of speakers in a flat screen using class D amplification. 

• Like 1

While spec sheets and graphs are not the end all for how an amp actually sounds the reputable source Audio Science shows the Benchmark ABH(?) and Hypex nCore 400 plot the lowest distortion of all available amps tested. Benchmark is Class AB, Hypex is Class D.

I have the same Hypex as tested in monoblock form and yes, they are extremely good, clean, controlled, quiet and very easy on power consumption. 

• Like 1

you could buy your forever amplifier and actually save money and enjoy more for longer. Buy a Benchmark AHB2 amplifier. It is the most low noise amplifier in the world and it also sounds amazing. On the weekend I took one of mine over to a buddy who has a pair of Kef Blades running on the big Pass Mono blocks 50 watts class A 600 watts class AB into 2 ohms. After just three hours he decided to buy an AHB2 and sell the Pass Mono Blocks. Its my forever amplifier.

Benchmark AHB2 2.jpg

Benchmark AHB2.jpg

• Like 2

I understand what you are saying. One can get sidetracked and start listening to equipment instead of music. From what you are saying I believe you will be perfectly satisfied with a good receiver or integrated amp. Right now I have a 2nd system in my bedroom using a restored receiver from the 70's and the sound is plenty good enough, enjoyable. That and I had forgot the advantage of having radio to listen to in an all in one device. 

3 hours ago, henry4841 said:

I understand what you are saying. One can get sidetracked and start listening to equipment instead of music. From what you are saying I believe you will be perfectly satisfied with a good receiver or integrated amp. Right now I have a 2nd system in my bedroom using a restored receiver from the 70's and the sound is plenty good enough, enjoyable. That and I had forgot the advantage of having radio to listen to in an all in one device. 

exactly, anticipating the arrival of my Heresy's IV I now listen to a simple Bluesound pulse (Radio Paradise) and happier then ever 🙂 Life can be simple.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2021 at 9:49 AM, henry4841 said:

The D board I like the best is the Texas Instruments TPA3255 which I could live with if it were the only amplifier I have. Excellent sound lacking nothing in quality of sound. Outstanding bass, smooth mids and vocals with great sound stage.

My DIY TPA3255EVM is the last amp I will ever own to power my “Supered” HIPs.  My situation is unusual in that I use a Pono player in balanced mode as a preamp and source.  The ability of the 3255 to play in balanced mode makes it ideal for me.  My four Exodus Anarchy tapped horn subs are powered by a pair of class D iNuke1000dsp amps, which also operate in balanced mode.

• Like 1