modern SS amp for new Heresy's IV

Fasthenk65

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

My DIY TPA3255EVM is the last amp I will ever own to power my “Supered” HIPs.  My situation is unusual in that I use a Pono player in balanced mode as a preamp and source.  The ability of the 3255 to play in balanced mode makes it ideal for me.  My four Exodus Anarchy tapped horn subs are powered by a pair of class D iNuke1000dsp amps, which also operate in balanced mode.

I have all the parts I need to make my own "kit" amplifier, but I think that if I do any comparisons, it will be with the older TI chip replaced by the 3055, since I got that cheaper and already complete in aluminum case with external MeanWell power supply. But when I do finally drill holes through the steel case, it will be for XLR connectors to go with the 3255, like the Diz Man!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, henry4841 said:

If I am not mistaken ClaudeJ has both the N-core and the TPA3255. Maybe in the future he can do a comparison and give his opinion. 

I never even turn off my Ncores, just the PrePro driving it. I also never turn off the inexpensive TI chip amps I use for surrounds, although those are from a different chip from TI. I have a pair of the ones that came before the 3255 as well as an IcePower Kit on my workbench waiting to be completed. They are all pretty darn good, but the Hypex is MY true benchmark!! ( I also have 3 "space heater" class A amps). They all sound good to me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

That Cambridge Audio CXA61 is a pretty incredible piece of gear for the price. That might be hard to beat. Have you considered a new receiver? 

Indeed. The longer I think about it, the more I feel why not. Combo with the V2 streamer done. Or the Naim Atom... it would be so nice if someone actually uses this and can reflect...

52 minutes ago, Fasthenk65 said:

Indeed. The longer I think about it, the more I feel why not. Combo with the V2 streamer done. Or the Naim Atom... it would be so nice if someone actually uses this and can reflect...

Yes that Atom is very cool also, and all the power you would ever need for Heresy IVs, it comes at a premium compared to the CA though. 

14 hours ago, yamahaSHO said:

I've enjoyed my Emotiva BasX A-100 with my modified Heresy 1's.  It's just an amplifier, which I have connected to a computer with a good sound card.  

Amazing unit for the price, it's on a couple top ten list, against some gear that's 5x the cost.

2 hours ago, Cicerogue said:

My input was based on the idea that Fasthenk65 was looking for streamer, dac and amp in one box.  AC power and wifi or ethernet in - speaker cables out and job done.

Yes I believe that's what he's looking for, an all in one unit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Amazing unit for the price, it's on a couple top ten list, against some gear that's 5x the cost.

Yes I believe that's what he's looking for, an all in one unit. 

Not exlusively... its just convenient. Amp / streamer also ok 🙂 CA not a bad choice I guess.

• 4 months later...
On 2/8/2021 at 6:41 PM, moray james said:

you could buy your forever amplifier and actually save money and enjoy more for longer. Buy a Benchmark AHB2 amplifier. It is the most low noise amplifier in the world and it also sounds amazing. On the weekend I took one of mine over to a buddy who has a pair of Kef Blades running on the big Pass Mono blocks 50 watts class A 600 watts class AB into 2 ohms. After just three hours he decided to buy an AHB2 and sell the Pass Mono Blocks. Its my forever amplifier.

Benchmark AHB2 2.jpg

Benchmark AHB2.jpg

I'm considering one.  I've seen your posts and you clearly are very experienced and have listened to a ton of gear so your 'my forever amp' carries a lot of weight.  Could you offer some insights into it's sound character and how it compares to other amplifiers you've used?  I'm running Modified Khorns with volti mids bms 4592nd drivers and fostex t500a mk3 tweeters.  My only trepidation is $3k for a 12lb amp, lol.  

On 6/13/2021 at 9:58 AM, Godataloss said:

I'm considering one.  I've seen your posts and you clearly are very experienced and have listened to a ton of gear so your 'my forever amp' carries a lot of weight.  Could you offer some insights into it's sound character and how it compares to other amplifiers you've used?  I'm running Modified Khorns with volti mids bms 4592nd drivers and fostex t500a mk3 tweeters.My only trepidation is $3k for a 12lb amp, lol. 

It is light because it uses all top quality switching supplies. I compared this to a 68 pound 200 watt per channel Spectral and the AHB2 was much more powerful sounding with deeper more impactful bass able to play much louder with more control and composure when com[pared to the Spectral. If I were to describe the sound of the amp it is very neutral very open and spacious sounding but not one of those juicy wet sounding amplifiers it sounds sweet when it is called to and not so when it is not called to. The AHB2 is not a second harmonic tube sound. Theses are my opinions and like everybody else like elbows we all have at least a couple. You should go and have a listen and see for yourself what you think. It is very reveling of associated gear so if you don't like what you are hearing look up stream for the possible issue. I hope this helps but in the end you need to make your own evaluation.

• Like 1

I’m listening to a pair of Yamaha MX-D1 power amplifiers, driving a pair of bi-amped La Scala IIs.  They’re no longer available, but I just wanted to make the point that Class D amps can sound really fine with Klipsch Heritage speakers.  I had one at first, in the usual stereo configuration, but when a second matching amp was offered to me at the same time as the other necessary components appeared that would let me bi-amp the speakers and convert them to 2-way, with very wide-range Klipsch Pro Theater drivers and horns replacing the stock squawker and tweeter sections, I jumped on it.

It turned out that 4 channels of Class D was even better than 2 channels.

BTW, I’m listening to Radio Paradise (standard mix) right now.  It’s my favourite station, and I pick it up on a Yamaha RX-A2060 AV receiver.  Good luck with your quest!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2021 at 9:39 AM, Ceptorman said:

That Cambridge Audio CXA61 is a pretty incredible piece of gear for the price. That might be hard to beat. Have you considered a new receiver? 

I recently got the CXA81for the system at my rural place. Very impressive integrated! Prior to the Cambridge was using a nice integrated tube with a Benchmark DAC, which I thought sounded very good, but the CXA81 with it's built in DAC wipes the floor with the old combo. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, moray james said:

I wish there was a place I could listen to one prior to buying.  It seems they hold their value rather well on the secondary market though I've seen some posts about potential knock offs so that is a concern.  I would be using a Budgie phono pre and a Mini DSP SHD as a pre/dac.  Thank you for your thoughts.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2021 at 4:40 PM, tromprof said:

I recently got the CXA81for the system at my rural place. Very impressive integrated! Prior to the Cambridge was using a nice integrated tube with a Benchmark DAC, which I thought sounded very good, but the CXA81 with it's built in DAC wipes the floor with the old combo. Highly recommended.

I'm strongly considering a CXA81 to power my CWIVs. What speakers is your powering? I'm also looking at the Rotel that's about $500 more. 

1 hour ago, CoryGillmore said:

I'm strongly considering a CXA81 to power my CWIVs. What speakers is your powering? I'm also looking at the Rotel that's about $500 more. 

I am using the CXA81 to run a pair of big Yamaha monitors with 15 inch woofers (they have to be portable since I often listen on my porch). I would think they would do a nice job on Cornwalls too. If you haven’t read it check out the Stereophile review.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/cambridge-audio-cxa81-integrated-amplifier

• Like 1

Hi I wanted to share my experience. my room dimension 11.5 x13.5 ft w/ 9.5 ft ceiling height. I mentioned it cause I used the heresy 4s w/ the 20 watter Schiit Aegir. The only 799 usd amp that ended up with streophile Class A recommended component. And they pair well. Using a Schiit Saga+ preamp w/ sylvannia NOS tubes. Usually the volume control at 3 o clock I found best. Tried to meausre it and its somewhere 80-85 db using an iphone with Audi0 Control app. Btw I would just like to mention if you can raise the H4s from squatting on the floor to ear level tweeter. Thats where the biggest benefit that the speakers can get. FYI. Just sharing my experience. These speakers image well

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alain Besario said:

Hi I wanted to share my experience. my room dimension 11.5 x13.5 ft w/ 9.5 ft ceiling height. I mentioned it cause I used the heresy 4s w/ the 20 watter Schiit Aegir. The only 799 usd amp that ended up with streophile Class A recommended component. And they pair well. Using a Schiit Saga+ preamp w/ sylvannia NOS tubes. Usually the volume control at 3 o clock I found best. Tried to meausre it and its somewhere 80-85 db using an iphone with Audi0 Control app. Btw I would just like to mention if you can raise the H4s from squatting on the floor to ear level tweeter. Thats where the biggest benefit that the speakers can get. FYI. Just sharing my experience. These speakers image well

Yep I've seen numerous reviews where the reviewer ended up putting Heresys on speaker stands and recommended doing so. 

• 1 month later...

I have heard the Benchmark Amp and it is one of the quietest most solid amps for the money. Me personally just couldn’t get my head wrapped around two things.  The size/weight of it.  And the class D (for me personally) as I feel like class D was a little to clinical for my Tastes.  But have buddies who swear by them, especially used as monoblocks. 

but I’m very happy with the A/AB Parasound A21+ that I bought when I traded in my PS Audio class D monoblocks. 

Edited by Joecoulson