Advice Sought for New Home Construction

Edgar

49 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

No....your builder should make sure this process is painless and enjoyable.

Thanks, but we're not even to the building part, yet. Just choosing options and applying for the mortgage. It seems like every time I look around there it another document to provide, another paper to sign, and another check to write.

5 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Thanks, but we're not even to the building part, yet. Just choosing options and applying for the mortgage. It seems like every time I look around there it another document to provide, another paper to sign, and another check to write.

And the $5,000.00 you will spend in city permits.

JJK

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

It it normal to be totally stressed-out about buying this house? It's only the second time I've bought a house, and the first time was 22 years ago so I don't really remember what it was like.

I've noticed that my 'stress' today is a lot different than it was 22, or 42 years ago.

Hang in there.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Edgar said:

It it normal to be totally stressed-out about buying this house?

depends.  I was told by a minister once, "never doubt in the dark, decisions that you made in the light."  not everything goes exactly as planned; but if you've done your due diligence, then rock and roll with the changes. I've bought houses before; but was never stressed out; but then, I'm not one that overly attached to "stuff."  I hope all works out to your satisfaction. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I was told by a minister once, "never doubt in the dark, decisions that you made in the light."  not everything goes exactly as planned; but if you've done your due diligence, then rock and roll with the changes. 

I need to take some of my own advice. I have told others who were buying houses, "There will be lots of surprises. In the context of the price of a house, a few hundred dollars here or there are insignificant. Just sign where they tell you to, and don't worry about the details." Last time I did this, I wasn't nearly as freaked-out about it as I am this time. Not sure why that is.

• Like 1

Go with the 9' ceilings unless the $6K is a big deal.  If you ever have a shop down there or need the space for clearance you will be glad that it is there.  I always regret not spending money up front and have learned from this lesson (more than a few times, I am a slow learner). 

Other really good ideas here.  Especially the Radon (Buy an Airthings meter)

How is your attic?  Any HVAC up there?  Can you have a completely sealed ceiling (virtually no holes in the drywall) and move the HVAC into the conditioned space?  This should pay off over the long run. 

26 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Go with the 9' ceilings unless the $6K is a big deal.  If you ever have a shop down there or need the space for clearance you will be glad that it is there. 

It's only a big deal because I have no need for the space and I therefore consider it a waste of money.

How is your attic?  Any HVAC up there?  Can you have a completely sealed ceiling (virtually no holes in the drywall) and move the HVAC into the conditioned space?  This should pay off over the long run. 

Nothing in the attic except rafters and maybe a TV and/or FM antenna. Attics around here easily exceed 120°F in summertime.

25 minutes ago, Edgar said:

It's only a big deal because I have no need for the space and I therefore consider it a waste of money.

Nothing in the attic except rafters and maybe a TV and/or FM antenna. Attics around here easily exceed 120°F in summertime.

120, you have a cool attic.  HVAC is located in the attics out here in the desert and the temps get very hot up there. 

27 minutes ago, Edgar said:

not trying to change your mind or criticize in any way ... can you envision a future time where you could have a need for that extra space?  when I was a young married guy, we were renting a place and my wife wouldn't buy furniture unless it matched well with the room and wall color. I kept telling her that this isn't our forever home so don't limit herself to the color of the walls in the rental. 

Honestly, I'd try to go 10' ceilings in the house and 9' in the basement. 

A 9' ceiling is a big improvement over 8', but a 10' ceiling makes every room have a very different feel. 

You should also go with tall doors if you can.  With a 9' ceiling, an 8' door works, but I trimmed all of mine down to about 93" if I recall because it looks better having more than one foot over the top.  6'8" doors are too small and I got rid of mine.  Go solid core too to give them a better feel if you can.  A dark or cherry wood finish with white trim works and is economical. 

• Like 1

Those extra tall basement wall cost can vary a lot. If it's a matter of just switching to a taller concrete form it might not be bad, but adding to an existing form will cost. I built a new home in 1998, the basement company easily replaced their form to a 9'4" , after the concrete floor I had a 9' ceiling. Plus your floor joist system could help hide some mechanicals, usually the HVAC guy is the culprit. 

On 2/14/2021 at 3:55 PM, Edgar said:

It it normal to be totally stressed-out about buying this house? It's only the second time I've bought a house, and the first time was 22 years ago so I don't really remember what it was like.

get a builder to pour a slab  , no basement and dump a double wide onto  the slab ---easy and less stress

My sincere thanks to everyone who replied. 

It has been interesting, even amusing, to see the directions that the conversation took. One faction supports 9' or even 10' basement walls. Another supports no basement at all. Yet another supports 10' walls on the main floor. I only have two options: 8' basement walls or 9' basement walls. And I have a budget.

I'm going with 8' walls. I have other places where I can spend the $6000.

Thanks again,

Greg