Sold KG 5.5

Iteachstem

1 minute ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Nice job. 

Is JB Weld the right stuff? 

Don't you want something that you can cut with an exacto knife in case you need to service the driver? 

I use JB Weld because it won't ever fail...well, at least not in my lifetime. If these ever need servicing, the entire woofer will be replaced with something different as there are many options out there these days.  I have never blown a driver, so I'm not worried about having this issue (as I always use subs with my systems)  I do see your point... if these were more of a rare driver, I would probably use something that could allow the removal of the dustcap without damaging the cone.

Just now, Iteachstem said:

I use JB Weld because it won't ever fail...well, at least not in my lifetime. If these ever need servicing, the entire woofer will be replaced with something different as there are many options out there these days.  I have never blown a driver, so I'm not worried about having this issue (as I always use subs with my systems)  I do see your point... if these were more of a rare driver, I would probably use something that could allow the removal of the dustcap without damaging the cone.

Got it, you should be fine. 

I learned this lesson installing granite countertops in the bath of my old house.  I was going to use GE Silicone and my friend who owns a granite shop told me to use painter's latex in case the sink ever cracked.  If I used the silicone you could never remove it from the granite. 

On 3/1/2021 at 7:32 AM, Charlie Hustle said:

Did they unseat any of the current setups? 

Well, I have been so busy with all of the extra b.s. I have to do now that we are doing a hybrid school schedule.  That's right,  I not only have to teach to the students sitting in my classroom, but, at the same time I also have to teach the ones remotely at home on their laptops via zoom. (all the time with a mask on so nobody can tell what the heck I'm saying anyway!) Hmm, that sounds like the job of two teachers.... but my district is demanding we do it.... and still paying us the same! 

Anyway, so I only had a chance to A/B them with my Polk Monitor 7's.  The did not unseat them.  Sure, the KG5.5's have more low end and will play 20x louder, however, I'm not 18 anymore, and I'm going for sound quality, not quantity. (Plus, I run a sub, or two,  with every system I have anyway.)  However, it was fun to turn them up to reference level for a bit to see what they could do!  These speakers were made for impact and presence!   I will be putting them up against my RF-83's the next decent break I get.

Just now, tigerwoodKhorns said:

All else being equal, the increased efficiency should result in less distortion and more detail. 

When I test them, I have a speaker switch that allows me to set both pairs at the same dB level.  This is nice because all too often people perceive louder as better when they are doing an A/B comparison. 

I am running an Emotiva USP-1 pre-amp into an Emotiva XPA-5 power amp, so really middle of the road equipment that the average stereo enthusiast might own.

If there is less distortion, then it may be measurable on equipment, but not perceived by my ears.  For me, the Monitor 7's are more enjoyable to listen to.  But like a nice glass of wine, each person will enjoy it differently... but they key is to enjoy it!

Well, I had a moment to put them up against my RF 83's, needless to say, they did not unseat my 83's.  I would hope not considering the price differences when they were new. (But, you never know! I never only  judge a speaker by it's price tag!)

Anyway, If any one is interested in the KG 5.5's let me know and we can work out the details.  You know from this thread everything that had been done to them.

• Iteachstem changed the title to No longer parting out. Now for sale. KG 5.5
13 minutes ago, Iteachstem said:

Well, I had a moment to put them up against my RF 83's, needless to say, they did not unseat my 83's.  I would hope not considering the price differences when they were new. (But, you never know! I never only  judge a speaker by it's price tag!)

Anyway, If any one is interested in the KG 5.5's let me know and we can work out the details.  You know from this thread everything that had been done to them.

Just an observation but could the 5.5's losing out to your other speakers maybe be crossover related?  Older caps in the KG's vs newer ones in the RF's?  Wonder what a quick recap with some good but budget caps would do for the KG's in a re-match?? 

I really like the color on those speakers.  Where did you find the dust caps?  I am redoing a pair of KG 5.5s and need to replace a dust cap, but I can't find one where I'm confident in the color matching the cone.

Edited by jw80
Showing as "Hidden"

• Iteachstem changed the title to For sale. KG 5.5 No longer parting out...

Yes, I'm definitely interested.  I recently acquired two sets of KG 5.5.s, of which one had a dented cap.  Just trying to get them to match.  Things were going well....until I got a little overzealous with the heat gun.  :)  I'm new to the forum, and it is not letting me send PMs.  I'm not sure if I'm no some kind of newbie probation, or if I'm just special.  Any thoughts? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 8:00 PM, Iteachstem said:

If there is less distortion, then it may be measurable on equipment, but not perceived by my ears.

If you can't measure it, it ain't science - Robert A. Heinlein

And another:

If it can’t be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion. - Robert A. Heinlein

I wish you were closer; I've always wanted to give these a try.  And thank you for the paint idea, I now know what the new finish for my Supers will be...

• Like 1

• Iteachstem changed the title to Sold KG 5.5