Sold KG 5.5

Iteachstem

4 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

whats the issue with them that cant be fixed, is it just cosmetic or physical damage?

Water damage on the top of one speaker causing the seem to open up and of course swelling below the veneer.  The seller said it didn't break the seal inside, but I haven't opened them up to take a look at the seems.

I kicked around the idea of waiting until spring and just building new cabinets, but that's a lot of work that I just don't have the time for now with two young children.

4 hours ago, Seadog said:

That is a shame.  The 5.5's are very good sounding speakers.

That's why I bought them.  I've never owner a pair of 5.5's.  I like to buy ones that need a little TLC and refinish them.  Then, I compare them to my current line up.  If I like the sound better than something I already have, I keep it and then let something else go.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

Water damage on the top of one speaker causing the seem to open up and of course swelling below the veneer.  The seller said it didn't break the seal inside, but I haven't opened them up to take a look at the seems.

I kicked around the idea of waiting until spring and just building new cabinets, but that's a lot of work that I just don't have the time for now with two young children.

ok just curious. being they are black it would be relatively easy to just re-veneer the top of the damaged speaker,  sand down the swelling & apply a small piece of same type of veneer & repaint them black. dont need to build new cabinets to save them, just a suggestion.  but im sure the parts will go to good use or someone can buy the speakers & save them.  good deal for $250, cant come close to the sound of 5.5's for $250. 

I don't think it's worth putting all of that time and money into a mid-grade speaker from the 90's.  I have a friend who is interested, so I might sand down and do some textured paint as it will be used most likely in a commercial setting, so it doesn't have to look house-worthy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Iteachstem changed the title to No longer parting out
6 hours ago, Charlie Hustle said:

i really like the paint you choose

Thanks.  I discovered this paint way back in high school ( early 90's)   I bought an used 1985 chevy s-10 from my brother than was used as a parts delivery vehicle for an automotive store.  So, it had high miles, but was taken care of very well.  Needless to say, I wanted to make it a "cool truck" because that's what you do when you're in high school.  So, I took out the center dash inserts and painted them with this paint. (I got the idea from a friend who painted their bass guitar using this paint)  It tuned out pretty well, so I have always used this paint for small accent projects in the past.  So, I decided it was time to go big or go home!  Since the cabinets had water marks at the top that wouldn't just sand out, I figured this was the time to try an entire cabinet.  I'll post finished pics when I finish replacing the dust caps on the drivers.  As usual, one of them was buzzing due to the glue failing over the years.... so, I ordered up 4 new ones and will be fastening them to the drivers today.

• Iteachstem changed the title to Sold KG 5.5