Diffuser Panel COVID Project

Tarheel TJ

On 2/9/2021 at 1:18 PM, Tarheel said:

Looks great.  Would like to hear your system!

Sorry to get off topic but what did you use for acoustic material in your sound  panels. What size are they, I am looking at roxul from HD - 12 pieces 3,"by 151/4" by 47". Is 3" thick enough?

I used Roxul Safe & Sound for the insulation, 4" thick for the walls and 2" thick for the ceiling.  1x4" pine frames.  Acoustic fabric from Guilford of Maine.  The wall panels are 2'x4'.  The ceiling "clouds" are 4'x8'.

Edited by Tarheel TJ
Added dimensions.

8 hours ago, Tarheel TJ said:

I used Roxul Safe & Sound for the insulation, 4" thick for the walls and 2" thick for the ceiling.  1x4" pine frames.  Acoustic fabric from Guilford of Maine.  The wall panels are 2'x4'.  The ceiling "clouds" are 4'x8'.

Ok thanks, I am going to do a little more research but I think I can make HD roxul work. I have a different idea for frames pine/lumber is getting expensive.

Might be interesting to see the link you used to build your diffusers. I don't think most people realize what's involved.

Looks great!  I've had thoughts of doing something very similar, but when I started adding up all the parts necessary and the time involved, it seemed to requiree more time than I have available.  Weight is another concern.  Do you have an idea of how much each one of those weighs?

19 hours ago, babadono said:

@Tarheel TJ  I'm curious did you try putting your "skyline" diffusers on the back wall behind your listening position. I read or heard somewhere that's optimal place for such. I think it was on the "realtraps" website.

That may well be true for most rooms.  My room is different from most.  It is a large ~25x25 open basement room.  Because of two columns and a staircase that break up the room, the stereo/home theater only occupies a little more than 1/4 of this space.  So the back wall of my listening room is some 10-12 feet behind the couch.  I don't think the panels would make a noticeable difference that far from both the speakers and listener.