Kg 4.2 upgrade

xo705cf

Thinking of upgrading my KG 4.2s with frites diaphragms...  I have heard good things about this but don’t want to completely change the sound signature of the speakers..  I also have RP280fs And do not want the same exact sound if I put in a crimes tweeter in my kgs.   I love the full robust sound of the KG’s and do not want to lose that..  Looking for the opinions of those who may have done this or something similar and wondering what they thought of the results...

The Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms are a great and cheap upgrade to do. It doesn't change the sound a ton, just makes the treble a little cleaner. I recommend doing one speaker and comparing the modified speaker to the stock speaker, just so you can really hear the difference.

• Like 1

-klipsch offers 2 types of  Factory original  diaphragms for the KG 4.2 tweeter , the K-85-K ------the 2nd option is a Titanium diaphragm , made by Klipsch -

all other parts sold online  , are aftermarket parts that  are copies or clones -

10 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

-klipsch offers 2 types of  Factory original  diaphragms for the KG 4.2 tweeter , the K-85-K ------the 2nd option is a Titanium diaphragm , made by Klipsch -

all other parts sold online  , are aftermarket parts that  are copies or clones -

Where do I go to find these on the website?

thanks

3 hours ago, xo705cf said:

thanks

You can buy these parts from the -klipsch parts dept  ---the KG -4.2 Tweeter comes with  Ferro-Fluid ----you would ask for the  titanium diaphragm  and  the leads and the voice coil are what sets apart a  Genuine Factory part from an aftermarket lower quality part , and  better ,  the klipsch Ti diaphragms  pricing may surprise you -

-

11 hours ago, xo705cf said:

thanks

Simply Speakers are authorized to sell Klipsch Factory Parts

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/

Michael Crites sells custom made replacement parts (Michael's dad Bob just passed away)

https://critesspeakers.com/klipsch_tweeters.html

I have replaced about nine sets of ti tweeter diaphragms and about 5 sets of ti mid diaphragms (the ti mid is only available from Klipsch via Simply Speakers). In all the tweeter ti sets I had two Klipsch ti tweeter diaphragms go bad but I have had no Crites parts go bad. I prefer the build of the Crites part Bob was a real stickler for quality. Just so you know. Bob was working on finding a supplier for the Klipsch ti mid diaphragm but could not find one that was good enough. He could have sold what ever was available but he would not. So don't let anyone suggest to you that the Crites ti tweeter is a cheap clone or copy it is (to me) the best option available.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moray james said:

Simply Speakers are authorized to sell Klipsch Factory Parts

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/

Michael Crites sells custom made replacement parts (Michael's dad Bob just passed away)

https://critesspeakers.com/klipsch_tweeters.html

I have replaced about nine sets of ti tweeter diaphragms and about 5 sets of ti mid diaphragms (the ti mid is only available from Klipsch via Simply Speakers). In all the tweeter ti sets I had two Klipsch ti tweeter diaphragms go bad but I have had no Crites parts go bad. I prefer the build of the Crites part Bob was a real stickler for quality. Just so you know. Bob was working on finding a supplier for the Klipsch ti mid diaphragm but could not find one that was good enough. He could have sold what ever was available but he would not. So don't let anyone suggest to you that the Crites ti tweeter is a cheap clone or copy it is (to me) the best option available.

Thanks Moray, Do you recommend changing the caps or should I try the to diaphragms first and wait on that...? If so what caps do you recommend, the ones from crrites or some other aftermarket product?  Which upgrade in your opinion is going to be the most noticeable?

7 minutes ago, billybob said:

It is a decent enough speaker as is.

Enjoy...

Actually their so decent that I’m thinking about parting ways with my 280s, I’m not sure that they’re any better than the KG’s that I’ve had for almost 30 years, Not that the 280s are bad in their own right it’s just that I still love the full robust sound of the KG’s...

• Like 1

Stayed out of this conversation until now.

There are better candidates like the Heresy, maybe some others 

members have modified over time, like you already know.

Just like the original sound.

Owned Chorus for a long while before finally being convinced

to refresh the crossovers.

Just me...

2 minutes ago, xo705cf said:

Actually their so decent that I’m thinking about parting ways with my 280s, I’m not sure that they’re any better than the KG’s that I’ve had for almost 30 years, Not that the 280s are bad in their own right it’s just that I still love the full robust sound of the KG’s...

Well that is something alright.

Had the 5.5 and really enjoyed them. Cool ...

3 minutes ago, billybob said:

Stayed out of this conversation until now.

There are better candidates like the Heresy, maybe some others 

members have modified over time, like you already know.

Just like the original sound.

Owned Chorus for a long while before finally being convinced

to refresh the crossovers.

Just me...

Sorry to drag you in lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, xo705cf said:

If I’m mistaken aren’t you here in Florida also Titusville area?

No on the west coast Florida approx. 50+ miles west Gainesville.

Think remembering you now.

Bass bins maybe...

Edited by billybob