Automobile speakers (6x9 I think)

Coytee

Since it's difficult to audition them right now....

I am open to putting new rear speakers in my car.  Eyeballing them, they are 6x9.  Factory stuff (Toyota Camry).  I'm not going to put amps, subs or anything in there....  I'm willing to yank the original rear speakers and put new ones in and that's it.  (I've even turned the side speakers off as they too need replaced but will do rears first)

I don't care what they cost as long as they're nice sounding and will operate off the original head unit.

Any suggestions? 

I've read somewhere about a brand.....I think it's called "MB"??  Never heard of them but the commentary I was reading talked about how nice they sounded.

(hurry Klipsch.....I'm game to buy some blind and don't mind being an early adopter)

23 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Since it's difficult to audition them right now....

I am open to putting new rear speakers in my car.  Eyeballing them, they are 6x9.  Factory stuff (Toyota Camry).  I'm not going to put amps, subs or anything in there....  I'm willing to yank the original rear speakers and put new ones in and that's it.  (I've even turned the side speakers off as they too need replaced but will do rears first)

I don't care what they cost as long as they're nice sounding and will operate off the original head unit.

Any suggestions? 

Go to the Crutchfield site and put in your year, make and model.  You'll get speakers that fit perfectly and every accessory needed for installation including pig tails that plug into your factory harness.  Highly recommended and have use them multiple times in the past.  Service after the sale and technical assistance are top notch and are located in the USA.

• Like 3

It has been a while since I did any aftermarket car HiFi, 2006 Honda Civic.

My last 2 cars have been top trim level VW Golf and GTI, no need for aftermarket stereo in these, the Fender systems are fantastic!

But, back to my Civic era.

I would suggest doing the front speakers first and if you get good speakers from either Focal or MB Quarts

(both top tier, at least use to be).

Rear speakers would be unnecessary, other than ambient fill.

6x9s were more for old school North American cars with huge rear decks when we all thought music should come from the rear of the car.

IMHO, music should come from in front of you, just as we typically listen to our home 2 channel systems.

With a good speaker from either of the 2 brands I mention and a good installation, you should get a beautiful wide, full soundstage from the top of your windshield to your knees.

I was big time into car audio in the past.  I built a couple systems that I could just sit in my car, close my eyes and get lost in the music.  The problem was that as soon as you start driving, you get road noise, engine and drive train noise, air noise etc.  You can insulate all you want and it'll never sound as good as when you're sitting still with the key on and engine off.  If I'm going to do that then I'll listen to my home stereo.  I quit spending money on upgraded components and just roll with what came in the vehicle now.  Hell, if I'm concentrating on my driving sometimes I forget that there's music playing.

• Like 1

Maybe he's telling me "Two words for you.....  Focal dumbazz!!"

??

Just a theory I'm working on.

I don't need the kick hiney tunes in the car like I/we might have had when we were younger.  Also....car is a 2005 with around 260K miles on it so the car isn't long on my list.

In fact, I'm REALLY dying to get back out on the road for work....as I get paid mileage and generally bring between $1,500/$2,000 month home "tax free" and since the car gets around 32 mpg, it's generating funds.  I'd like to get back on the road (they tell us June) and buy a second (new) car and use this one to kill the miles (and PAY for the new one) and go to pick up my diesel so I can spare the new one.

That's my idea anyway.  Usually on the road I'm listening to any one of maybe three radio stations unless I'm out in the boonies....at which point I'd like to be able to have it sound nicer than it currently does.

Sun has ruined the covers over the speakers so the raw drivers are totally exposed.  The rears are intact but only sound "ok".  The ones in the doors have tons of distortion.  I'm guessing they've rotted out.  Don't know that I want to go through the issues of taking the door panel down to get to those.  (I'd rather jump on tractor or backhoe and do something in that world)

I should have also suggested CDT Audio.

CDT is what I went with in my old Civic back in 2006, my front doors had 6.75in for the OEM front for speakers

so I replaced them with ES-062 Braxial.

https://www.cdtaudio.com/braxials/braxials/es062brax.php

These were a very nice sounding speaker!

After looking closer at the 2005 Camry I see that it did use 6x9s in the front doors, this could be a very nice drop in replacement...

https://www.cdtaudio.com/coaxials/es0691cfx.php