Old Geezerpunk needs help selecting New Sub

Salty Codger

Hey all,

Signed on the forums in 2001, last post was 2012. Feels good to be home.😁
I am considering replacing the Synergy Quintet II system that I have on my PC and replacing it with more of a real home theatre setup. But I also Mix Video on the PC. But can use cans for editing.

My question today is on the Subwoofer Because my old JBL PSW-D110 That I bought from an auction house in 2001 finally died (considering the average life expectance of that Sub was one yr. guess I got my $$ worth). In my Living Room, on that 5.1 system I have my old Klipsch 10" Downward firing Sub. Still doing it's Duty. But since my wife passed, it is not an everyday driver, like my PC is. I do need to replace the down and out JBL I am leaning toward the R-12SW mostly because of price. Since I used to hang out here daily in the PC Speaker area as Geezerpunk, I am finally on permanent disability. Something like the R-120SW is not undoable, I just put the money on a debit card and save up for it over two months instead of just buying it at the start of the month.

The Studio where I have my computer and shoot my YouTube Videos (I am just starting by the way) is about 75% the size of the Living room maybe about 12'x14'. Three of the walls used to be external walls so they are fairly reflective to sound. With the Surface Medium being Lathe and Horsehair plaster.  Should I move the old 10" sub from the Living room into the Studio, where the volume would be less but the duty cycle would be 400% more? Or put the new sub on the Studio? Is the 12" overkill, or does it lack something I should consider that maybe competing product might have?

Thanks in Advance,

Geezer. 

5 hours ago, Salty Codger said:

Is the 12" overkill, or does it lack something I should consider that maybe competing product might have?

You can never have overkill as far as subs go.  Just do a proper calibration.  A larger sub working at a 50% load sounds much better than a smaller sub maxed out.  Check out offerings from SVS or HSU also.  They seem to have a better track record with their amplifier sections.