Did Klipsch ever make under stage bass 'W' boxes?

RocketFoot

I used to be a DJ back in the early 90's...I helped redesign a nite club in Latrobe, PA that had 2 giant wooden W bass boxes under a dance stage.  They were kind of like big, flat La Scala's!!  We were surprised to see Klipsch 18" woofers behind the access panels when we opened them up. So we sourced out new Klipsch woofers to replace them.  Those 2 W boxes rocked hard for many years after the redesign.  I was just curious to see  if Klipsch actually made these things or if they were DIY with Klipsch woofers?  I wish I could track them down today as they were definitely performers!

Edited by RocketFoot
  • Like 1

They might have been 15's...my memory may be failing me!  That sure looks like them!!  They were painted black.  We had them as singles placed side by side under the dance stage.  I am still trying to find pics but there is not much photo records from the early 90's...before every cell phone had a camera.  But yes!  I think that is them...I remember taking each screw out to access the woofer!

1 hour ago, RocketFoot said:

They might have been 15's...

There were subs back in the early 80's -90's  that looked similar in appearance  to the klipsch MWM   and  used twin 18 inch woofers ,  but they were not made by klipsch , and the woofers would be accessed from the rear of the cabinet -

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

There were subs back in the early 80's -90's  that looked similar in appearance  to the klipsch MWM   and  used twin 18 inch woofers ,  but they were not made by klipsch , and the woofers would be accessed from the rear of the cabinet -

No, the ones I worked on looked exactly like the pics above!  They were Klipsch!

23 minutes ago, RocketFoot said:

The club is still around...but shuttered up!  I should pay a visit and see if I can buy them!

They are pretty heavy , but they do play well at any level , if room is tight , you can put the speaker upright

If they are the MWMs, with 2 15 inchers each, they are a tad over 280 pounds each. I have a pair from a cinema, no trim and no handles. I got them off a truck and inside by myself. Rolled them down the truck's ramp on a 4 wheeled dolly. They were on their backs.

I have them on their side in my room. The shape (trapezoidal) makes them tilt back. Incredibly smooth, tight, clean bass.

btw, it's a 55 inch tv.

20200123_224516.jpg

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

so 15 inch woofers------- the speaker was the K43  Round magnet -

That was original for pro work, but the K33 works well and goes a tiny bit lower for home use when not much power is used. 

A simple design that works great.

What the inside of the singles looks like.

mwm (25).JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

yeah ,  I forgot the k33 was an option in these speakers

Well I think it was the driver designed for that cabinet, the K43 can take more power and have a slight advantage before being fried, and they still were. But these were designed for pro and they knew they would be pushed. 

There was a funny story Jim Hunter told of once at the Hollywood Bowl they actually caught some cabinets on fire. They were supposed to wait for the Klipsch people to set it up but didn't and overpowered to the point of fire.

I don't remember the whole story but that's the general idea. 

I have some K43's in the 2 cabinets I use outside which is now in my new workshop, on top is a copy of a split LaScala top with an AA crossover in the cabinet for each bass bin, sounds really good.

• Like 2

The Hollywood Bowl set-up went fine.  It was the prototype system sent to a concert in northern Arkansas that resulted in every element, except the MTM tweeters, getting smoked.  When Klipsch personnel arrived, all they could do was pack them up.  The MCM system really was born out of a trial by fire!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Marvel said:

If they are the MWMs, with 2 15 inchers each, they are a tad over 280 pounds each. I have a pair from a cinema, no trim and no handles. I got them off a truck and inside by myself. Rolled them down the truck's ramp on a 4 wheeled dolly. They were on their backs.

I have them on their side in my room. The shape (trapezoidal) makes them tilt back. Incredibly smooth, tight, clean bass.

btw, it's a 55 inch tv.

20200123_224516.jpg

Always wondered what your final set-up looked like.  Now that I've seen it I must let you know that's it's now an official "love/hate" relationship we have in here.  I can only imagine those next to my LS.  Lawdy, lawdy brother!  I'm not a hater but so very slick to say the least!  :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Marvel said:

btw, it's a 55 inch tv.

20200123_224516.jpg

I love this!!  I certainly hope your neighbors, 3 blocks down, enjoy whatever you are listening to, LOL!! 

• Haha 1