Any Knife guys?

Foxman

I have gotten into smoking meat this year and am considering upgrading my cutlery which is currently old, dull, and crappy. Curious if anyone makes knives or knows about knives? I am in the learning process. I have learned about D2 steel and 1095 steel. Anyone?

Check out this thread from a little while ago.

I dig knives, my favorite being with a Nakiri style profile.  This one that I just purchased a few weeks ago has totally impressed me. From a company called Kiwi. It is super sharp and has become my favorite knife, regardless of its cheap price.

https://www.amazon.com/7-5-Chefs-Knife-22-Kiwi/dp/B00549RFIC/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=kiwi+knife&qid=1613084355&sr=8-8

• Like 1

I figured knives out. It is not so much the knife it is keeping the knife insanely sharp. That’s what we want in a knife. So I have some modestly expensive knives and knives I bought from the Tuesday Morning discount cutlery rack. And I keep them all razor sharp. I do have whet stones and I do use a razor strop with polishing compound. Once sharp I keep them sharp with good use habits. Maybe once a year I will get out all the sharpening toys and deal with any duller knives. Though I have more than a dozen knives ready to use - I use only 2 or 3 regularly. A 3 inch paring knife and santuko blades are the go-to knives for most purposes. And because they are sharp they cut easy and because they cut easy they cut safely. I do not have any hugely expensive knives and I cannot see where any knife regardless of cost could be better than what I own. In fact your old knives just might be salvageable.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

Check out this thread from a little while ago.

I dig knives, my favorite being with a Nakiri style profile.  This one that I just purchased a few weeks ago has totally impressed me. From a company called Kiwi. It is super sharp and has become my favorite knife, regardless of its cheap price.

https://www.amazon.com/7-5-Chefs-Knife-22-Kiwi/dp/B00549RFIC/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=kiwi+knife&qid=1613084355&sr=8-8

Wow, $12, that looks like a nice knife for the money. I'll check that youtube channel out. I hadnt considered youtube for some reason. That would probably be a great way to understand sharpening.

so what are your needs for a knife set ?

I don't know any butcher , or meat packers mainly the ones that process veal .. that doesn't use Victorinox Forschner knives..!

Just some posers that use Henckels and others.. That sit in the block..

Using those knives or knives with full tangs... Are like processing meat or proteins with a 5# weight on your hand...

Try processing 6 cases of boneless chicken.. 40# a case and do 5-6 cs a hour..

or a case of tenderloins @ 12 pcs a cs.. 5# and up

or French a veal hotel rack.. 

I'm no expert on kitchen cutlery, but my favorite knife is a Benchmade hunting knife made from CPM-S30V steel.  It can be sharpened wicked sharp and it holds an edge.

I have a 9" Cutco carving knife in 440A steel that I have had good luck with.  I use it for slicing brisket.

49 minutes ago, Seadog said:

I'm no expert on kitchen cutlery, but my favorite knife is a Benchmade hunting knife made from CPM-S30V steel.  It can be sharpened wicked sharp and it holds an edge.

I have a 9" Cutco carving knife in 440A steel that I have had good luck with.  I use it for slicing brisket.

if you get the chance and the price is right try a Buck blade made from CPM S30V. All American Bucks have Boss Heat Treatment the best heat treat man in the industry knows S30V inside and out and finishes with a cryo dip. Very nice S30V. I like the Buck/Boss treated S30V better than Spydercos S30V. While we are on Spyderco if you can find any of their knives in Maxamet try one, you will need diamond stones (DMT diamond stones are very good value). Maxamet is almost as hard as Tungsten but sharpens much easier and is much tougher it is my favorite steel my next fav is the Japanese ZDP189 harder than a file about the same level of sharpening difficulty as S30V not as tough as S30V but much harder with longer edge retention and virtually impossible to stain a really fine knife. I use an Endura in ZDP189 for most all of my kitchen prep every day, love the steel.

• Like 2

dirtmudd,

That was a down right silly post. Maybe you should watch more "Forged in Fire" episodes, lol. The Forschner knives are good commercial knives. One reason is that they are a great value, just as commercial knives from other makers are. Butchers don't expect one to last thirty, forty, fifty years. I don't cut-up cases of chicken daily, but I'm no "poser" either.

SSH

• Like 1

Any decent knives have the ability to be sharp enough to cut nicely.

It is up to the owner to learn how to sharpen them and keep them sharp and in good shape.

Our local butchers often used German Solingen knifes that have a treated blades, but any other brand with a quality blade will suffice. In recent years Japanese knives became more frequent in kitchens. Plastic/composite handle is better for hygienic reasons.

11 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

so what are your needs for a knife set ?

I don't know any butcher , or meat packers mainly the ones that process veal .. that doesn't use Victorinox Forschner knives..!

Just some posers that use Henckels and others.. That sit in the block..

Using those knives or knives with full tangs... Are like processing meat or proteins with a 5# weight on your hand...

Try processing 6 cases of boneless chicken.. 40# a case and do 5-6 cs a hour..

or a case of tenderloins @ 12 pcs a cs.. 5# and up

or French a veal hotel rack.. 

I am wanting something to cut and trim meat that we are preparing at home. So, this wont be something I use 10-14 hours a day like the pro's do. I have a buddy who was a sous chef 30+ years ago and he still has his knives from back then, they are Hinkles. Great knives, but as others have said, they are heavy, though no more than I'd use them, not sure that'd matter.

42 minutes ago, Foxman said:

I am wanting something to cut and trim meat that we are preparing at home. So, this wont be something I use 10-14 hours a day like the pro's do. I have a buddy who was a sous chef 30+ years ago and he still has his knives from back then, they are Hinkles. Great knives, but as others have said, they are heavy, though no more than I'd use them, not sure that'd matter.

then you need only a few then

just shop for price

Victorinox Swiss Army - 47645 Cutlery Fibrox Pro Slicing Knife, Granton Blade, Black, 12-Inch

1. Victorinox Swiss Army - 47645 Cutlery Fibrox Pro Slicing Knife, Granton Blade, Black, 12-Inch
  2. 41IcpwLOpJL._AC_SY350_.jpg
  3. 51qkp5ZHMwL._AC_SY350_.jpg
  4. 51q17iYsazL._AC_SY350_.jpg
  5. 51yqgmikq7L._AC_SY350_.jpg
  6. 31AwWLYonmL._AC_SY350_.jpg

• Victorinox - 47602 Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Curved Boning Knife, Flexible Blade, 6-Inch

1. Victorinox - 47602 Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Curved Boning Knife, Flexible Blade, 6-Inch
    2. 31RT1WSJYoL._AC_SY350_.jpg
    3. 31mb9tEoqUL._AC_SY350_.jpg
    4. 21hWEMCpf1L._AC_SY350_.jpg
    5. 31BwyIFYp6L._AC_SY350_.jpg

• Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Curved Cimeter Knife, 10-Inch

Victorinox 10 Inch Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife

Victorinox 10 Inch Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife

1. Victorinox 10 Inch Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife
  2. 517Uoka-n7L._AC_SY350_.jpg
  3. 51Q76ODHRrL._AC_SY350_.jpg
  4. 51NXsDuJ-BL._AC_SY350_.jpg
  5. 51s2%2BqlRflL._AC_SY350_.jpg

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Design: Chef's Knife
  • Like 2

I cook a lot, have expensive German knives, 99 percent of the the time I use a Chinese vegetable knife. They do almost everything..... I have a special Japanese knife for sushi, but they cost around 600$...look up Almazan Kitchen on youtube man can cook, and sells good knives, that make sense...keep it simple!

• Like 1