Ported vs. Vented, Cornwall vs. Heresy

Peter P.

So what's the difference between a ported speaker and a vented one? It appears one has a tube-like opening (Heresy IV), while the other has a slot (Cornwall).

Is there a difference in the audio output? Is port chuffing a potential problem in a vented speaker?

I began to wonder whether it would have been cool to have the Heresy IV be a smaller version of the Cornwall and have a front vent vs. a rear port i.e., a smaller version of the Cornwall, and wonder why that approach wasn't taken.

The first pair of hifi speakers I had were the B.I.C. Venturi's, with an 8" woofer and a slot at the bottom. As a teenager, I really didn't understand the function or benefit of the slot despite the advertising literature, but now I get it.

I also wonder why the Cornwall front vents are three distinct sections rather than a continuous slot. Could it be structural to support the weight of the motorboard? Are the new plastic ports purely aesthetic or do they actually change the vent response?

All opinions are welcome!

IMO, the surface area and depth of the port/vent are what matters.  IMO, the Cornwall IV uses multiple ports for, at least, two reasons.  First, it looks cool.  Second, it uses ports already available that are used in other products.  In any case, Roy @Chief bonehead has calculated the parameters necessary to have the vent/port function as he intended.

As to front vs rear ports/vents, IMO, there is no correct answer.  Each has strengths and limitations.  Each works when done and placed appropriately.

• Like 1