Internal Passive Crossover Bypass

Moose1963

Hi Jimjimbo, 

I'm not sure I'm responding to you correctly so I hope you get this.  My plan is to disable the built-in passive crossover in the Klipsch and go with an external active crossover.  I have everything set up for bi amping.  Twin, identical amps etc.  I tried firing it up and it sounds really muddy.  I'm assuming I have some bass, balance and treble adjustments to make.  Thank you! 

Hi RandyH000, 

Yes, I am going to be using an active crossover.  It's my understanding that I need to disable the internal speaker passive crossover in order to do this.  From there, I just need to tweek the active crossover, right? 

Right now it sounds muddy as hell! Thanks bro. 

14 minutes ago, Moose1963 said:

OK, great RandyH000, thanks.  

But I still have to disable the internal passive crossover on my Klipsch 6000Fs, right? 

it is best to first  unsolder  the current wiring  of the passive system   from the main drivers ---do not in any way  , cut wiring from  the passive system -

2) terminate each end of a wire that is unsoldered with electrical tape -once the system is removed , it can go back in the same way it came out - if need be -

3)  re-wire the drivers -

2 hours ago, Moose1963 said:

...My plan is to disable the built-in passive crossover in the Klipsch and go with an external active crossover.  I have everything set up for bi amping.  Twin, identical amps etc.  I tried firing it up and it sounds really muddy.  I'm assuming I have some bass, balance and treble adjustments to make.  Thank you! 

"Muddy" or "boomy" usually means that they have way too much output in the 60-200 Hz range.  If you are using a DSP crossover (there are also analog active crossovers -- that generally do not have EQ capabilities, so I have to ask what you're using), you can either use the graphic EQ filters internally to reduce the 60-200 band just until it doesn't sound muddy.

I generally recommend a UMIK-1 (from miniDSP) with a microphone stand...and running Room EQ Wizard (freely downloaded from here) so you can actually see what you need to EQ...and when you're "done EQing". 💡

Chris

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Moose1963 said:

Hi Jimjimbo, 

I'm not sure I'm responding to you correctly so I hope you get this.  My plan is to disable the built-in passive crossover in the Klipsch and go with an external active crossover.  I have everything set up for bi amping.  Twin, identical amps etc.  I tried firing it up and it sounds really muddy.  I'm assuming I have some bass, balance and treble adjustments to make.  Thank you! 

Did you try to bi-amp your speakers already? Is your speaker's binding posts still connected? I think we need more info, and I definitely wouldn't start breaking open your speakers yet.

8 minutes ago, Moose1963 said:

I guess that's the Space Shuttle actually Randy.  Hey, another question for you guys.  With a bi amp setup, does my powered subwoofer's internal passive crossover also need to be disconnected just like the internal passive crossover in the main speakers?  Thanks! 

The sub has nothing to do with your bi-amping of the main speakers. 

4 hours ago, Moose1963 said:

Hey, another question for you guys.  With a bi amp setup, does my powered subwoofer's internal passive crossover also need to be disconnected just like the internal passive crossover in the main speakers?  Thanks! 

No, its completely separate and should be hooked up directly to your preamp.