Internal Passive Crossover Bypass

Moose1963

You can look for used DSP crossovers, such as the venerable ElectroVoice Dx38, the newer DC-One (2-in, 6-out), Yamaha SP2060 (2-in, 6-out), and perhaps used Xilica XP series (if you can find one).  miniDSP 4x10 HD uses bare wire connectors, but has balanced connectors (Euro style). 

For new DSP crossovers having XLR connections--I strongly recommend a Xilica XP-2040 or XP-4080.  I don't personally recommend a JBL DriveRack PA2 or Behringer DCX2496, however, if sound quality is your major measure of merit (i.e., hi-fi sound quality without introducing issues).

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris, I had a look at the Xilica XP-2040 which has the XLR connections.  It looks great and if it's better for home audio, that's the one I want.  Possibly dumb question here: on the 2040, I notice that there are plenty of inputs and outputs but how do you determine with handle the highs and which handle the lows?  I don't think I saw any designations on the back panel for highs and lows.  Please advise, if you would. Thank you. 

47 minutes ago, Moose1963 said:

Chris, I had a look at the Xilica XP-2040 which has the XLR connections.  It looks great and if it's better for home audio, that's the one I want. 

That's a good crossover--in fact, I don't really know of a better one.

47 minutes ago, Moose1963 said:

...I notice that there are plenty of inputs and outputs but how do you determine which handle the highs and which handle the lows?  I don't think I saw any designations on the back panel for highs and lows.  Please advise, if you would. Thank you. 

They are assignable (input channels to output channels) via firmware/software using the "mixer" column values in the output channels to the right on this screenshot:

XConsole Device Window SS.GIF

You can assign the output channel to one or more input channels, and also adjust the gain of each input channel--so if you wanted to mix the left and right channels (assuming that you have enough output channels for a third center loudspeaker--say if you had a Xilica XP-4080, for instance--you could do the famous PWK center channel box without having to build one in hardware.

You can download the PC application now (XConsole) free and play with it to see the functionality of the interface.  It's fully functional.  All you have to do is select "no" when it asks if you want to connect to the device, and you can use the application just like the hardware is there.

Chris

• Like 2

Here's a thread on that subject:

A thread on setting the parametric EQ filters to flatten the SPL response of a loudspeaker using Room EQ Wizard (REW) and XConsole:

...and a thread to set the time delays to achieve time alignment:

There are other threads around that discuss these subjects, notably one by "rplace" (Rich is his name). 

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Chris, 

OK, great.  I figured it was something like that.  You mentioned something about not knowing a better crossover.  Were you referring to the crossover function of the dba DriverRack PA2 or the Xilica XP-2040? 

This Xilica unit obviously gives the opertator TONS of control over the sound but, for my needs, I'd just as soon have a crossover that has assigned outputs, like the DriverRack.  These things considered, do I just stay with the DriverRack or do I go for the Xilica?  Thanks, I appreciate your help.  Brett 

30 minutes ago, Moose1963 said:

You mentioned something about not knowing a better crossover.  Were you referring to the crossover function of the dba DriverRack PA2 or the Xilica XP-2040? 

The Xilica XP and XD crossovers work extremely well in a home hi-fi environment. I've found that it's totally transparent and it also retains the "sparkle" of very high frequencies and the presence of the performers when playing high dynamic range acoustic-instrument recordings. 

30 minutes ago, Moose1963 said:

These things considered, do I just stay with the DriverRack or do I go for the Xilica?

That's easy: listen to the DriveRack for a while (after flattening the SPL response using the built-in EQ filters and REW to measure).  If you're satisfied with it, you're done. If you're not, you know where to go for a Xilica.

Chris

Don't overlook Ashly processors. I have a Xilica and several Ashly Protea units. The Xilica is the best, but the Ashly units are quite good as well but not as tweak-able. There are also plenty of the Ashly units on the used market, Xilicas can be hard to find used and cost a lot more. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Moose1963 said:

Noted with thanks.  I have the DriveRack coming in tomorrow.  I'll give it a spin.  I'm sure it's going to be money.  If it doesn't I'll check out the Xilica.  Thanks again for your help.  I'm going to check out your system.

If you have the means to plug the DriveRack into a Wi-Fi router and connect with a tablet or smart phone, the graphic displays will make it easy to set up and adjust the settings. Functionally, the dbx should do what you need, but if you hear any hiss from your tweeters, then the Xilica units will be your upgrade choice.

Thanks Khornukopia, 

Another question which I'm sure is elementary for you.  I have a Marantz CD6007 connected to a Rotel RC-1590 preamp, connected to a dba DriverRack PA2 LMS, connected to twin Marantz MM7025 amps, bi amped to a pair of Klipsch 6000F speakers and a Klipsch R-SW subwoofer. 

HOW DO I TURN EVERYTHING ON WITH JUST ONE BUTTON? Thanks! 

46 minutes ago, Moose1963 said:

HOW DO I TURN EVERYTHING ON WITH JUST ONE BUTTON? Thanks!

Connect a 3.5mm jack mono wire from the 12V DC trigger out on the back panel of the Rotel over to the Marantz amp, then another wire from there to the second amp. Run another wire from the Rotel to a 12V DC triggered outlet strip or power center for the other components. That should allow your whole system to turn on when the Rotel is switched on, and then off, respectively. It may be important to use a mono jumper wire, not a stereo headphone type wire.

On 2/17/2021 at 12:27 PM, Khornukopia said:

if you hear any hiss from your tweeters, then the Xilica units will be your upgrade choice.

word to the wise... the Xilica units have a noise gate built into their DSP. They call it the Internal System Optimizer. You can only set threshold level or Bypass, not the attack or release times. And only from the front panel, not the XConsole GUI. It should be set to bypass for a real comparison of noise floor with different manufacturers units. Assuming the different manufacturers unit has no noise gate. Perhaps the Drive Rack has optional noise gate settings?