Heresy III Buzz Issue

fmalloy

I noticed playing Dire Straits' "Private Investigations" from Love Over Gold, the ominous bass thumps starting at 3:49 are causing a mechanical buzz from the speakers that is in sync with the bass line. Putting my ear against the back of the speaker, I hear the buzz seeming to come from the inside of the boxes. It does not appear to emanate from the front of the bass driver. The front grille seems secure, and the rear panel is solid and not loose. The banana plugs and rear access panel seem tight. 

I don't know what is causing this but it is emanating from *both* speakers. It does not require a very high output level to hear the buzz. On the right speaker especially, I hear the buzz from the listening chair if played loudly enough (which is only about 80dB or so). I played the track from Spotify, and also a track ripped from my CD. That particular bass note seems to cause something inside to resonate. I played other bass tracks and don't hear it (eg. "Get Lucky"/Daft Punk).

I need to remove the grilles and check if the drivers have any loose mounting screws.

Any ideas?

I tested this song from CD, on my Leben with lows turned up 6dB. All was fine.

The crossover may not be completely fixed, or some part of the crossover may resonate on that particular frequency. 

After I had recapped my H1s, this is what happened to me, I was sloppy when putting the crossovers back. Got the problem solved when I fixated the crossover. 

10 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

The crossover may not be completely fixed, or some part of the crossover may resonate on that particular frequency. 

After I had recapped my H1s, this is what happened to me, I was sloppy when putting the crossovers back. Got the problem solved when I fixated the crossover. 

I would bet that it is like MM said, loose crossover board or one of the components on the board.

Years ago I had a PMC speaker with a similar symptom and we tracked it down to a capacitor that was loose on the Xover.

The really strange thing about this... lately all the buzz has been on the new Heresy IVs. 🤨

Open the box

see if anything is lose or torn

you can try playing with the backs off and see if you can isolate it

I would also try a different amp and see if the problem persists, same for other components

Bass is power hungry and the amp may not like it or it's surfacing an amp problem

This would be my first step VV

If you have an second set of speakers, try hooking them up and see if the problem persists.

Just now, Sadie42 said:

Both speakers? Hmm. 

My thoughts exactly maybe try a different source or track, cable connections etc possibly different receiver? Doubt both speakers would suddenly have the exact same problem at the same time but you never know I guess

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fmalloy said:

I don't know what is causing this but it is emanating from *both* speakers.

the fact that both speakers are affected , would imho not be caused by the speakers , but rather by interference  -static- or a ground issue  which can be cabling or the connections   ----or the amplifier -pre-amp --

-I doubt klipsch would not have the components tight on a crossover , since the speakers are tested at the Factory ,  so unless the speakers were dropped ,  this is far likely

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

the fact that both speakers are affected , would imho not be caused by the speakers , but rather by interference  -static- or a ground issue  which can be cabling or the connections   ----or the amplifier -pre-amp --

-I doubt klipsch would not have the components tight on a crossover , since the speakers are tested at the Factory ,  so unless the speakers were dropped ,  this is far likely

I had two sets of H3 and both had horrible dry joints all over the cabinets. They were treated to a couple of thinned applications of white PVA wood glue to all the seams prior to being fitted with white oak on all the cabinet seams along with a full matrix they are rigid now and make no noise.

heresy 3 bracework 1.jpg

Thanks everyone for all your valuable input! It helps a LOT.

I'm pretty sure it's not an amp/interference/static/ground issue, as the buzz seems to be purely mechanical, coming from the inside of the Heresy cabinets. The banana plug knobs are tight, the rear panel is tight. The buzz does not appear to emanate from the bass driver listening from the front it's heard putting your ear on the rear of the cabinet.

BTW, I did not drop the cabinets. They were delivered to my door and I moved them about 25 feet to the listening room where they have sat since. 

I need to get the proper screwdriver (it's not a Phllips) and take off the back panel and check the crossover components - kinda nervous about that. If I remove the rear terminal panel, the crossover is attached to that panel, correct? What is the slack in the wires from the crossover to the drivers? Will I be able to pull it out a bit and look inside?

I’m guessing here, but it might be a Torx bit #20

Yes, the networks are on the back of the terminal cups. Just check to make sure there isn’t anything obviously loose. I wouldn’t go any further than that. Aren’t these still under warranty?

Ok, this is weird - it seems related to the source material. If I play the Spotify track or my MP3 ripped track, the mechanical resonant buzz is there, particularly in the right speaker, and it's emanating from the cabinet, not from the driver. Again, the rear terminal panel and rear panel are tight. If I play the CD, either the buzz is not there at all, or it's at an attenuated level.

I understand that a ripped track would modify the waveforms, but it seems strange that a ripped version could set up a mechanical resonance, but the CD track wouldn't.

I haven't noticed it on any other track. It must be that one particular bass note...

On 2/17/2021 at 7:50 AM, Deang said:

I’m guessing here, but it might be a Torx bit #20

Yes, the networks are on the back of the terminal cups. Just check to make sure there isn’t anything obviously loose. I wouldn’t go any further than that. Aren’t these still under warranty?

Hmmm...don't even know what the warranty is!

Gt to be something loose inside i would say. Take woofer out and check tightness of the mid driver to horn. Then check all screws inside. The test Klipsch does at factory is low volume it will not trigger that noise i dont think. keep in mind that will void warranty  if you open them up.

On 2/17/2021 at 12:43 PM, fmalloy said:

do yourself a favor  ---remove the speaker grille -- test again , if you still hear a sound

a) go over all the outer  screws ---woofer-midrange -tweeter-terminal cup -

if nothing is loose , from the outer screws -check that all the internal screws are tight   

b)- between the midrange horn and the midrange driver -

c)-  the tweeter motor  and the tweeter lense -

d)  the screws that hold the crossover board to the terminal cup  -