Need acoustic advice on Klipschorn's

angelaudio

I'm looking for advice on anyone who's experienced with placement of klipschorn's. I've never heard them in my life. I've only seen pictures of them. I have an opportunity to get a pair of 1980's models in great condition with Crites crossovers. The issue is that my living room is about 11.5 ft x 20 ft and they would have to be placed side to side against the smaller side of the room which means the drivers would only be about 8 ft apart.  Will the bass be non existent if they are toed out?  Manuals seem to indicate that they should be at least 10 ft apart from the center of the drivers, but not sure if I'm interpreting that right or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The issue is I don't quite have a full corner space. I'll try to add a photo of the room.

Thanks!

---daniel

Edited by angelaudio
grammar

Two different posters:

@angelaudio

and

@rankaudio

To angelaudio:

1. I once had Klipschorns just about that far apart (8 feet), and they sounded fine, to a listener sitting dead center.  For others, the sound was good in all ways except imaging (but still sufficient for me at the  time).
  2. Are you expecting to move to a wider room eventually?  My move to a larger room (4,257 cu. ft., and wide) was richly rewarded.
  3. How high is your ceiling?
  4. See Chris A's corner horn acoustics thread.
  5. It might be possible, but outrageous, to put the Klipschorns on the long wall of your room, pressed tightly into the corners, if you can afford to put in a horn loaded center channel (Belle or La Scala I, II, or AL5).
  6. I'd say they need to be snugly in the corners, unless you build artificial corners, and you put them in those.
  7. The K77 tweeters in the Khorns are probably good enough a bit off axis (but will show some attenuation above 10K Hz), to allow you cross their aim somewhat in front of you.  If not, can you put your center listening chair (or center of a couch) at 8 to 9 feet away?  Don't put too much absorption in the room, but do put 2 feet of absorbers on the side and front walls where a yard stick placed flat on the front of the Khorns will touch the walls, at the height of the "top hat" of the Khorns (midrange and tweeter section), and for 2 more feet into the room.  Diffusion is O.K. Showing the acoustical absorber (the lower one) in the larger room:image.png.58b508a6a412d132459270e53c817bc6.png
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info this is helpful.

Correct on the usernames. I was unable to renew my password from another computer because for some reason the site wouldn’t send me an email confirmation to renew it at the time in fact it still doesn’t send emails. I checked spam but no luck. As a result, I had to use an alternative email and user name in order to post.

The Klipsch horns need to be positioned in a corner for best results 

The best way I can describe the design in simple layman’s terms (and I stand to be corrected)  is — The sound waves produced use the corner walls as part of or an extension of the cabinet 

I think my ceiling is 8 ft. Unfortunately this is the only room I’ll have. Thought about artificial walls behind them. Not sure if it’s true but I’ve been hearing reports that the newly back sealed AK6 models still require corners and that toeing them out seems to cause some phase issues? Not sure if that’s the correct term. 

Placing the K-horns on the short wall, while not ideal, will still work okay in my opinion.  I've seen less separation where K-horns sounded good.  However, the K-horns need to be snug in the corners to seal the base bins against the walls.  Toe out is not an option.  From the photo, the corner on the right, adjacent to the arch, might be a problem if the short wall is too narrow for the base bins to seal.  Can you measure the width of that wall?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rankaudio said:

I think my ceiling is 8 ft. Unfortunately this is the only room I’ll have. Thought about artificial walls behind them. Not sure if it’s true but I’ve been hearing reports that the newly back sealed AK6 models still require corners and that toeing them out seems to cause some phase issues? Not sure if that’s the correct term. 

I would think that even the sealed back ones would benefit from the boundary gain of a corner.  Tight in your corner, one side of each Khorn would have an 18 to 20 foot extension to the horn!   You could try a very slight toe-out v.s. a snug fit.  Be sure to include both conditions, with identical bass heavy music, and a test tone recording or REW (Free, but you supply a calibrated mic that is USB ready -- $80 to $100).        

11 hours ago, rankaudio said:

Looks like my dreams are unobtainable at this time. 😞

No, no.  See:

This isn't rocket science, and it doesn't take a lot to integrate Khorns into the room, but you really need to put down an area carpet to cover the area within 3-4 feet of each Khorn to control floor bounce.  Ceiling bounce may be an issue, but usually if you control the floor bounce, a great deal of the problems will subside with simple application of (thicker rather than thinner) area carpets.

Chris

If you're willing to do a little EQ on the bottom end, you can usually compensate (assuming you've get enclosed backs, at least) for the loss between the internal horn path length cutoff frequency (about 40 Hz is where you get with enclosed backs) and the 32 Hz advertised cutoff frequency in a room corner--if you're within a few feet of the room corners.

Chris

• Like 1