Attension; Jim Hunter

twistedcrankcammer

7 hours ago, moray james said:

The only one I could find was this one. somebody else give this a try.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2205982A/en?q=patents+p.w.+Klipsch&oq=patents+by+p.w.+Klipsch&page=1

Thanks Moray..

Looking for all three but especially the one for the barrel tuner.

Rog

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twistedcrankcammer said:

Thanks Moray..

Looking for all three but especially the one for the barrel tuner.

Rog

found some of the numbers (two out of three) thanks to Wiki sure you can find those copies now. check out the patent list.

Firearm vibration control. US patent 2302699. Klipsch, P.W., 11/14/1942.[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Wilbur_Klipsch#Patents

3 hours ago, moray james said:

found some of the numbers (two out of three) thanks to Wiki sure you can find those copies now. check out the patent list.

Firearm vibration control. US patent 2302699. Klipsch, P.W., 11/14/1942.[14]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Wilbur_Klipsch#Patents

Thanks dude !

I have a couple of modern barrel tuners on some of my guns. Several manufacturers are producing them and this info has been lost to time and I want it to become common knowledge!

Look up E.C. Tuner under Erick Cortina on YouTube.

Roger

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 2/13/2021 at 3:55 PM, twistedcrankcammer said:

I have a couple of modern barrel tuners on some of my guns. Several manufacturers are producing them and this info has been lost to time and I want it to become common knowledge!

For us dummies....  what is a barrel tuner and what does it do?

(no, I've not clicked on the link(s), getting ready for work....besides now that I have your attension, I love to pick on your spelling!  HA!)

:emotion-21:

On 3/2/2021 at 6:52 AM, Coytee said:

For us dummies....  what is a barrel tuner and what does it do?

(no, I've not clicked on the link(s), getting ready for work....besides now that I have your attension, I love to pick on your spelling!  HA!)

:emotion-21:

Richard,

The barrel of a rifle has Harmonics, just like a car engine. Things that change these harmonics are things like barrel diameter, barrel length, weight of the projectile being spun, speed of the projectile being spun, the amount of interface between the bearing surface of the projectile and the lands of the barrel.

If you have spent any time shooting, I am sure you know to try different loaded rounds to see what shoots best in your rifle or pistol. What in affect you are doing by trying different factory loads or hand loading is trying to match the speed of the projectile, match the frequency node of the barrel. It was1939 that PWK invented the barrel tuner by adding a very simple weight to his barrel and the patent was granted in 1942 . Modern day Tuners are weights that you cut threads on your barrel to screw them on. As you might imagine, the harmonic frequencies involved are very high and thus change frequency in a very short amount of space. When you change the position of the weight, you change the frequency of the barrel, just like changing the length of the strings with the frets on a guitar. The harmonics of a gun barrel change and repeat themselves over and over with position changes to the weight. In only one revolution of the barrel Tuner on my Rifle, the whole thing starts over, just like the full musical scale with multiple "F" notes like F minor, etc. As you change the frequency of the Tuner, the group size will start to change and to find the node frequency of your barrel, you will shoot either 3 or five shot groups at each setting on the Tuner, till you get two or three settings where the groups stay the smallest and you split the difference and set the Tuner in the middle setting. Of course you will have to change the setting and re find the node, every single time that you change your ammo load. A different brand of ammo, you will have to change the tuner setting. A different weight projectile or different amount of powder or even a different lot of ammo and you will probably have to reset the tuner. but as long as the load stays the same, you do not change the tuner setting unless it starts shooting worse from say a big temperature change. This is a very finite adjustment such as for very long distance shooting but it does shrink your guns group sizes. I will attach some videos to watch.    

Roger

Roger....  I've never really been a shooter.  I did not know any of the above, that was interesting, thanks!

Heck, when I was in high school, we had a class that spent the day with some cops (probably to try to scare us straight)

We went to their shooting range....  turns out I was a decent shooter with his pistol....  I don't recall the specifics other than I might have had say, five bullets (or was it six?) and like your picture above, they were clustered.  They weren't necessarily in the bulls eye, I think they were on the edge of it.  (was my first time ever shooting a pistol) BUT they WERE in the inner-range of the target.

Except....  I had say, six shots....BUT only FIVE were registered.  He only gave me credit for five hits  but, when you looked at the actual holes, one of them was torn up a bit like the lower cluster.  The implication was I nearly put a shot through the previous hole....  and he was refusing to believe that.  Or, the bullet went through sideways making a larger tear in the paper.

I'm not saying I did it out of any skill....  I'm all for beginners luck....  but you don't cluster 5 shots (or how ever many it was) and they're all in a decent group....  and then have one totally miss the target.  Especially when I knew I had the sights on the bullseye...

I digress....  matters not that I got one "off the page" according to him.....I knew that if I ever needed to shoot that I can evidently repeat the same shot (or same mistake!!) with decent accuracy.

(when I was younger, went to a boys camp which was the first time I'd ever shot a rifle....and I got the most improved award of the bunch)  Probably meant I want from missing the target to finally clipping the outer edge of it by the time camp was done!!  Heh.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Coytee said:

Roger....  I've never really been a shooter.  I did not know any of the above, that was interesting, thanks!

Heck, when I was in high school, we had a class that spent the day with some cops (probably to try to scare us straight)

We went to their shooting range....  turns out I was a decent shooter with his pistol....  I don't recall the specifics other than I might have had say, five bullets (or was it six?) and like your picture above, they were clustered.  They weren't necessarily in the bulls eye, I think they were on the edge of it.  (was my first time ever shooting a pistol) BUT they WERE in the inner-range of the target.

Except....  I had say, six shots....BUT only FIVE were registered.  He only gave me credit for five hits  but, when you looked at the actual holes, one of them was torn up a bit like the lower cluster.  The implication was I nearly put a shot through the previous hole....  and he was refusing to believe that.  Or, the bullet went through sideways making a larger tear in the paper.

I'm not saying I did it out of any skill....  I'm all for beginners luck....  but you don't cluster 5 shots (or how ever many it was) and they're all in a decent group....  and then have one totally miss the target.  Especially when I knew I had the sights on the bullseye...

I digress....  matters not that I got one "off the page" according to him.....I knew that if I ever needed to shoot that I can evidently repeat the same shot (or same mistake!!) with decent accuracy.

(when I was younger, went to a boys camp which was the first time I'd ever shot a rifle....and I got the most improved award of the bunch)  Probably meant I want from missing the target to finally clipping the outer edge of it by the time camp was done!!  Heh.

No problem Richard,

Our shooting sport is a dying thing and if we want it to continue, we need to encourage every single question instead of making fun at others expense. I think it is Awesome that PWK holds this patent, just shows once more what a multifaceted genius the man was !!!

Rog

13 hours ago, Coytee said:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

PWK was commissioned in the Army as an Ordnance officer.  Ordnance is the projectiles/ammunition and their delivery systems,  from individual firearms, all the way up to missiles, their delivery systems and their warheads.  PWK was also a competition rifle shooter for a number of years, and most likely also competed in hand-gun competition.  His assignment to the Southwest Proving Grounds for the duration of WWII led him to decide to start-up his speaker business there after the war ended.  He liked the work ethic of the locals and his wife was already teaching at the school In Hope.  The former proving grounds are a few miles North of Hope, Arkansas.  Those proving grounds during WWII, were primarily devoted to improvement of ammunition for mortars and artillery during the war.  Although PWK was an avid shooter he did no hunting. of wild game.  He WAS a re-loader, though.  He worked-up some nice loads to try out in my .300 Win Mag.  I supplied the once-expended brass and his recommendations for various weight/type bullets in .308 diameter for use in different hunting scenarios, and he worked up the loads...they were extremely accurate loads, too!  He was really surprised when I repaid him with two boxes of Sierra .308 match-king BTHP 168 gr. bullets...I figured he had an M1903A1 NM w/star-gauged barrel stashed somewhere at home...and he displayed his not often seen BIG grin when I handed them to him. 🤣

• Like 4