Looking for an AV Receiver for Klipsch RP-280FA and RP-450C

FrankLepore

Hey guys!

I've decided to upgrade my home theater and, after doing a good deal of research, I've settled on the Klipsch RP-280FA and RP-450C. Even though they're a few years old, they seem to be in the perfect price vs. quality range, and everything I see tells me the jump to the RP-8000F isn't worth the price bump (plus I do like both the Atmos and the Cherry options for the 280FA's).

What I'm looking for is some suggestions for an AV receiver; there are just so many options out there. I'll primarily be using the system for music, movies, and TV shows, and I'm not super interested in surround sound or pairing it with a sub right now. I'd also prefer to keep it under $1,000, but if you swear by something that's slightly over, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks in advance, and if you need any additional info, just let me know!

@FrankLepore,

Welcome to the forum.

2 hours ago, FrankLepore said:

I've settled on the Klipsch RP-280FA and RP-450C. Even though they're a few years old

So are my RF-63s and RC-64 and I have found no reason to go newer.

Your decision with the RP-280FA/RP-450C combo should be pretty solid.

2 hours ago, FrankLepore said:

What I'm looking for is some suggestions for an AV receiver; there are just so many options out there. I'll primarily be using the system for music, movies, and TV shows, and I'm not super interested in surround sound or pairing it with a sub right now.

You do know that the RP-280FAs are Atmos enabled and Atmos and surround sound go hand in hand?  Action movies will be on the dull side without a subwoofer.

With that said, I usually suggest at minimum an upper midlevel AVR with multichannel preouts for possible future outboard amplification.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr6013/marantz-sr6013-9.2-ch-x-110-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

Bill

Bill, thanks for the input!

I don't own a home, we just rent, and we move occasionally so I just don't have any desire to set up and wire and arrange surround speakers. I may get a sub, but I'm trying to keep a smaller profile for now, and I'm not entirely sure I'd need it, but it would definitely be the next purchase on the list.

As for Atmos, I picked these speakers simply because it's included in the 280FA's and it's just an additional layer of depth I can have without adding any other physical components to the set up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FrankLepore said:

As of now, I'm pretty much leaning toward the Marantz SR6013 and the Denon AVR-X3700H, mostly because I want to made sure I have HDMI 2.1. I don't care about 8k or having 9.2 though, so if anyone has any cheaper recommendations that fulfill similar roles, I'd love to hear 'em!

Both of those AVRs would do a very good job, both are sold out on that site though. A step down in price on either of those brands will still be still a pretty nice unit. Just depends on your budget. The gear on that site does restock quite often.

23 hours ago, FrankLepore said:

I've decided to upgrade my home theater and, after doing a good deal of research, I've settled on the Klipsch RP-280FA and RP-450C. Even though they're a few years old, they seem to be in the perfect price vs. quality range, and everything I see tells me the jump to the RP-8000F isn't worth the price bump (plus I do like both the Atmos and the Cherry options for the 280FA's).

What I'm looking for is some suggestions for an AV receiver; there are just so many options out there. I'll primarily be using the system for music, movies, and TV shows, and I'm not super interested in surround sound or pairing it with a sub right now. I'd also prefer to keep it under $1,000, but if you swear by something that's slightly over, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Are you planning 5.0, 3.0 ?

Looking at the specs, 100W per ch RMS seems like a mandatory

Do you care if it's class D, or AB etc ?

I want to made sure I have HDMI 2.1.

What is special about this, and how long has it been around ?