Big Cold

NADman

12 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Scorned? For being prepared?

I have to have a Generac installed by Sept. or I'm in big trouble. Would love to hear how you are able to manage that?

I need mine to run AC in summer and heat in winter.

No for how I have it connected.

8 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Easiest way to hook up a portable is to pull your meter or turn off your main breaker if you have one then hook it into your dryer connection with a jumper.  Itll do both legs of your 120 and your 240. 

Which is what we did, except we used a 220v plug in the garage that's in place for a welder. It's frowned upon, especially when utility power is restored, so you have to be very careful and ensure your mains are turned off.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kevinmi said:

I just cleared 10 inches of fresh snow off the driveway!

Bought a big 2x Cub Cadet electric start a couple years ago.  Went all out w/the heated grips  :)  Cut thru my driveway like butter.  15 minutes I was done.  Put it into the garage took my Army gloves off and my hands were ice in the time it took me to shut it down.  Stay safe up there!  Next round is Thursday "they" say.  Gotta feel for those w/no power though.  THAT would not be good w/the low temps.  

• Like 3

Nothin's a joke when it comes to snow and ice.  I spent a week out in the famous Ohio blizzard of ''78.  Had to check on an elderly couple one day.  Their ranch was completely drifted over.  Yup, they were fine.  Had a lil place shoveled to get the back door open and they huddled around a lil kerosene heater and used candles.  The next day I got to deliver my first baby!  hahaha  Barometric pressure dropped and so did this woman's kid.  THAT was a treat.  lol  People are just like those cattle and animals when it comes to survival.   :)

38 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

No for how I have it connected.

Which is what we did, except we used a 220v plug in the garage that's in place for a welder. It's frowned upon, especially when utility power is restored, so you have to be very careful and ensure your mains are turned off.

You just have to make sure that you're totally disconnected from the grid so that you don't injure a worker upstream.   I always just pulled my meter.  Only problem is that you don't know when the power is on unless you clamp a light bulb to the grid side.

13 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You just have to make sure that you're totally disconnected from the grid so that you don't injure a worker upstream.   I always just pulled my meter.  Only problem is that you don't know when the power is on unless you clamp a light bulb to the grid side.

The benefit is that you don't have to string extension cords everywhere, can flip on lights as needed, etc.

It's enabled us to run a heat lamp in the barn and heaters in the house 100yds away, all from the same generator.

• Like 2

Worst storm I’ve been in... -51 wind chill and about 3 feet of packed snow. High centered  a Yukon SUV, had to dig it out in the wind, not fun.

Same storm my wimpy Buick Rendezvous completely gave up... dash said, Take vehicle to dealer. 

Driving on ice is different than snow. Worst is snow over ice. No fast motions. If you slide, get feet off the pedals. Stay calm. I’ve done a few 180 deg unintentionally... never flipped myself! Went off-roading in a Trans AM once. 

Stay safe and check on your neighbours!

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, babadono said:

Lights on at your neighbors is a GOOD clue:)

And this is why you get paid the big money.  :lol:

It was a close call here a little more humidity and dew point and we would have had frost on the cars. 

• Like 1