Big Cold

NADman

The temp in Birmingham, MI is now 0 F, 1 C and dropping.  It was 2 F an hour ago.  Fortunately the power is on, the house is warm and the coffee is hot.  

I feel for my Southern brothers and sisters during this freeze, especially those in Texas where the electrical grid was not designed for such cold.  That fierce Texas independence that eschews the regulation of the national grid has consequences.

Stay safe and warm.

• Like 1

Had our first pipe breakages early this more ing, so I shut off at the meter. I've isolated which lines, just not sure how far down under the house it goes.

It's an ancillary bathroom and we're building new next year, so i'll probably just cap the lines underneath the house and move on with my life.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The issues you folks (I'd say 'guys' but don't want to be sexist)

Anyway, your issues remind me of something years and years ago.

We were flying home (in Ohio) from a ski trip to Colorado.  As it happened,  Cincinnati was suffering a very nasty freeze.  The wind chill outside was -50 (as in negative 50 degrees) AND that darn wind was blowing.  We just came back from Colorado so we had warm clothes and coats on....

At the baggage pickup is where it got comical.

There must have been a plan that originated in the Virgin Islands or somewhere very warm (especially when compared to -50).  There was a young couple that got off OUR plan.  Must have transferred in Atlanta kind of thing...

Anyway, the female was wearing a very appropriate outfit.....  for 85 degrees on an island.  It came down between her butt cheeks and her upper thigh.  Very thin material, low cut.  Simply put, I doubt it would have kept her warm in a 70 degree setting....and here she (they) were preparing to walk into a -50 degree.

I remember seeing her with her suitcase wide open on the floor at the luggage pickup, clothes all over the floor as she was frantically trying to find anything to add to her skimpy outfit.  They didn't evidently have coats with them.....who needs them in the islands?

If they DID have other things to wear they committed a primary mistake......always dress for your destination, not your point of departure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

We've got utility power for now. Hopefully others can share the burden of outages while we start to unthaw without interruption.

I thought I taught you not to say unthaw unless you're talking about freezing something.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Coytee said:

The issues you folks (I'd say 'guys' but don't want to be sexist)

Anyway, your issues remind me of something years and years ago.

We were flying home (in Ohio) from a ski trip to Colorado.  As it happened,  Cincinnati was suffering a very nasty freeze.  The wind chill outside was -50 (as in negative 50 degrees) AND that darn wind was blowing.  We just came back from Colorado so we had warm clothes and coats on....

At the baggage pickup is where it got comical.

There must have been a plan that originated in the Virgin Islands or somewhere very warm (especially when compared to -50).  There was a young couple that got off OUR plan.  Must have transferred in Atlanta kind of thing...

Anyway, the female was wearing a very appropriate outfit.....  for 85 degrees on an island.  It came down between her butt cheeks and her upper thigh.  Very thin material, low cut.  Simply put, I doubt it would have kept her warm in a 70 degree setting....and here she (they) were preparing to walk into a -50 degree.

I remember seeing her with her suitcase wide open on the floor at the luggage pickup, clothes all over the floor as she was frantically trying to find anything to add to her skimpy outfit.  They didn't evidently have coats with them.....who needs them in the islands?

If they DID have other things to wear they committed a primary mistake......always dress for your destination, not your point of departure.

Hope you took off your leathers and wrapped her up...🤔