Big Cold

NADman

1 hour ago, Shiva said:

When the going gets tough,  one flies to Cancun, but only briefly... LOL  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9273075/Ted-Cruz-jets-Cancun-millions-Texas-remain-without-power.html

Horrible optics for sure but his presence in the state wouldn't have warmed one more house than if he weren't here.  It's not unlike Gore flying his private jet to Greenpeace meetings and telling everyone else to lower their carbon footprint.

• Like 2

I'm 220 miles north of Fargo ND in a city of almost a million and there hasn't a single hiccup in power or water supplies.

We not laughing at anyone at all. I guess we are prepared for this.

It's been one hell of a lot colder here for a hell of a lot longer than anywhere south of the 49th.

I didn't check the Code but I would say our waterlines are 6-8 ft. deep.

Wishing all of you the best.

• Like 1

Been occupied selling the house.  Sorry to hear about everyone’s problems. Hope everyone is okay. 

Sold the house in less than a day. Have til 3/30 to get moved and have lots to do.....  and it is still winter here too but nothing like the Midwest. Be safe and take no chances.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

I really don't think anyone's laughing at the people in the South.  It's just sad that they didn't prepare State-wide for something like this to happen.  The dance has only begun but then climate change isn't real to so many.  Or is it?

May be an image of map and text

Things will prolly get worse before they get better.    Ready?  GO!   😂

Fake news. Ha. Ventusky is predicting the polar vortex to head back south again towards the end of the month. Sheesh.

• Sad 1

Dam* martians, when they get involved all the focus goes to save this or that not necessarily with efficiency.

Then whatever is supposed to get done isn't the focus and falls to the wayside to save the energy source!

I call the greenies martians `cause it fits. & I happen to be one of the first of them from the early 70s.

But they aren't advanced at all. Don't allow me control over some of my machines even without internet access.

Conservation is important, but not if it impedes something that has to get done. At that point you have to re-configure your method `cause it was a fail. Just try again until you get it right.

And since our country has done so well with it all? We need to convince others to get with it. The proof is in the pudding, for the most of it already.

Edited by JohnJ
* For DWILawyer just in case
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, NADman said:

I'm 220 miles north of Fargo ND in a city of almost a million and there hasn't a single hiccup in power or water supplies.

We not laughing at anyone at all. I guess we are prepared for this.

It's been one hell of a lot colder here for a hell of a lot longer than anywhere south of the 49th.

I didn't check the Code but I would say our waterlines are 6-8 ft. deep.

Wishing all of you the best.

Its the equivalent of you enduring a hurricane. 

• Moderators

When I said laughing at people in the South, it was really about building codes and people are not use to it, we do not build for much cold, mostly rain and high winds. 

Here you pour a slab for a house on the ground, the ground does not freeze. In Indy you need to dig a deep hole 4'-6' (cant remember exactly)  and fill with different size gravel to deal with frozen ground. And that's just 700 miles North. 

36 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Its the equivalent of you enduring a hurricane. 

True, could be problems with wind when not built for it.

I pick an occasional hurricane over ice and snow for months every year and a very short growing season.  I don't think there is anyplace that has no weather/seismic problems so we pick which one to deal with. 

• Like 4

• Moderators

So this thread has turned political?

It's 11:30 P.M. Central.  I will give 12 hours for people to go in and clean up their posts. In not, they can go on moderated posts.

If in doubt, you are not sure - this is our 3rd day without water, I see politics in everything right about now, so you might start from there.

• Like 1

I really cant over this, we lose power for days sometimes we make it fun!   It was 24 below the other day.... who cares, keep your heat give me the cold, like my Mom said "you can dress for the cold, you cant undress for the heat"  I skied at 70 below wind chills..... I was fine....who are the real snowflakes? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In winter of 84, came back to house uptown Tallahassee to find roomate sleeping on the living room couch at 3 in the morning with heater on full blast. Had been gone for a few days but knew of the freezing weather there. When I asked why the bachelor pads floors were so clean, he said he had been mopping the floors earlier that night. Odd I thought, as not one to do that at any time, let alone with freezing weather.

Turned out that when he had also been away, the kitchen sinks faucets had frozen, and a straight shot to the living room couch he was sleeping on.

When he had gone to sleep with heater furnace on, it had melted the ice to the point that the kitchen faucets had thawed and long story short, had busted the cold water faucet and spewed icy cold water on him from 25 feet away to his head while sleeping on the couch.

His hair was still looking wet, but decided not to question him farther.

He had crawled under the house to shut off main to house. 

Moral to story do not know but, just said to him good job and goodnight and went to bed.

• Like 1