Jump to content

Big Cold


NADman
 Share

Recommended Posts

Several Midwest states are implementing rolling power blackouts due the extremely high demand on power stations. Twenty to forty minutes shutdowns. We would be in that group but have not seen it happen - - yet.

I’m doing my best to conserve - no Class A amps for the next several days. Although the extra heat would be nice. Class D chip amps for the remainder of the week - all for my fellow man - 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, richieb said:

Several Midwest states are implementing rolling power blackouts due the extremely high demand on power stations. Twenty to forty minutes shutdowns. We would be in that group but have yet to see it happen - - yet.

I’m doing my best to conserve - no Class A amps for the next several days. Although the extra heat would be nice. Class D chip amps for the remainder of the week - all for my fellow man - 

your selflessness is a model for us all. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now I remember what you do when it's -40F all the time.

1...Put a 3/4" piece of plywood in front of your radiator so the engine can heat up

2...Drain the coolant out and put in kerosene to keep things from freezing.

3...install head bolt and oil pan heaters.

4...Install battery heater pads.

5...install chains on all four wheels.

6...Install transmission fluid in the differentials.

7...Install an outdoor receptacle on your house if you have no garage.

8...Because the defroster is useless install the stickem up plastic windows on all inside windows.

9...Keep speeds under 60MPH as the chains will break and create shrapnel holes in the fenders.

10...If you are parked outside the engine must idle all night long or you will not get the vehicle started in the morning  even when plugged in.

11...You also must have a 4 wheel drive vehicle as when first starting in the morning the first quarter mile one front wheel and one rear wheel will be turning as the other two have frozen due to the grease in the bearings. They eventually break loose.

12...Wear mittens, foul weather jacket, iron pants, double socks, ski mask and whatever else you can think of.

13...Always have an emergency kit in the vehicle with lots of stuff including a snowmobile sitting in the truck bed.

JJK

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

Now I remember what you do when it's -40F all the time.

1...Put a 3/4" piece of plywood in front of your radiator so the engine can heat up

2...Drain the coolant out and put in kerosene to keep things from freezing.

3...install head bolt and oil pan heaters.

4...Install battery heater pads.

5...install chains on all four wheels.

6...Install transmission fluid in the differentials.

7...Install an outdoor receptacle on your house if you have no garage.

8...Because the defroster is useless install the stickem up plastic windows on all inside windows.

9...Keep speeds under 60MPH as the chains will break and create shrapnel holes in the fenders.

10...If you are parked outside the engine must idle all night long or you will not get the vehicle started in the morning  even when plugged in.

11...You also must have a 4 wheel drive vehicle as when first starting in the morning the first quarter mile one front wheel and one rear wheel will be turning as the other two have frozen due to the grease in the bearings. They eventually break loose.

12...Wear mittens, foul weather jacket, iron pants, double socks, ski mask and whatever else you can think of.

13...Always have an emergency kit in the vehicle with lots of stuff including a snowmobile sitting in the truck bed.

JJK

 

 

14..... move south and eliminate steps 1 through 13.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You have some sort of heat source Dave?

Carl, we have a small gas log fireplace in the den.  Mostly decorative, but better than nothing. We still have natural gas service.  Just hoping the pipes don't freeze.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rockhound said:

-15 this morning in Bentonville Ar.


Ditto that in greater KC - . A balmy negatory 7 currently.

Have not experienced a rolling black out, yet but watched a news conference from Evergy, our power provider. We in what’s called the Southwest Power Pool, a consortium that regulate power consumption in 17 surrounding states, for you TX boys, you are part of this group. If we make it past around noon today we may avoid a blackout although currently around 100K have been “controlled”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Seadog said:

Carl, we have a small gas log fireplace in the den.  Mostly decorative, but better than nothing. We still have natural gas service.  Just hoping the pipes don't freeze.

I've noticed a significant drop in our water pressure.   People are running water to keep from freezing and busted water and sprinkler pipes are starting to show up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

32 and sunny out.  We're thawing.  Just shut off the pool pump and took all the covers off.


Blue skies and sunny here. Up 17 degrees, now a balmy +2. 
Covers off, ice skates on - practicing my triple toe loop into an inverted sit spin - . Gotta love the winter sports - 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

32 and sunny out.  We're thawing.  Just shut off the pool pump and took all the covers off.

I hope I can say that in a couple of days, but with no power, I'm sure my pool pumps, filter housing and plumbing are history.  The ice on the pool is too thick in some places to break through with an axe. I expect tile and plaster damage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Seadog said:

Over 24 hours here without power.  No word on when it will be restored. Current temperature is 2 degrees.

 

Same, bud. Stay safe.

 

Latest M&M homestead update: utility power has been off since 2am Monday. The house is mostly frozen inside. We've got a generator powering oil heaters in our bedroom for pets and a heat lamp in the barn for babies that were born Friday.

 

No animal deaths so far, but it's always a possibility. Running water inside the house is no longer viable, but I'm going to try and thaw out our field faucet. Twice a day feedings is definitely taking a toll on feed supplies, but I think we've got enough to get through to thawing Temps.

 

We're able to warm up and eat, shower, etc next door, and we parked the girls overnight there so Morgan and I could focus on keeping the homestead viable through the night. They're on a different provider than us and so far haven't had any outages - so we're grateful and blessed.

 

The sunrise over our snow covered garden and barn was beautiful this morning.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Seadog said:

I hope I can say that in a couple of days, but with no power, I'm sure my pool pumps, filter housing and plumbing are history.  The ice on the pool is too thick in some places to break through with an axe. I expect tile and plaster damage.

Ugh.  I had all the pool plumbing covered and ran the pump 24/7 to keep it from freezing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...