Cornwall I Crossovers - Renew or Leave Be?

Cornwill Is

12 hours ago, Budman said:

Original - doesn't say that on the website. you just make things up out of the blue ?

100% Original 

-- JEM PERFORMANCE is a Klipsch Certified Repair center ,  they sell Original klipsch crossover  parts on behalf of klipsch  to Consumers-

35 minutes ago, Budman said:

https://jemperformanceaudio.com/

i don't see where it says 100% Original or the word Original anywhere on their site

WE ARE NOW THE KLIPSCH FACTORY AUTHORIZED CROSSOVER NETWORK REPAIR CENTER.  WORKING WITH KLIPSCH CHIEF ENGINEER ROY DELGADO, WE HAVE THE CORRECT NETWORK CAPACITORS FOR VINTAGE KLIPSCH HERITAGE SPEAKERS.  WE KEEP YOUR VINTAGE KLIPSCH SPEAKERS SOUNDING JUST LIKE PAUL W. KLIPSCH INTENDED.  CALL US AT 412-401-6915 FOR INFORMATION. 

What part are you disagreeing with?

The "original" caps that came with the guy's Cornwalls are the motor run oil capacitors that were used at the time.

From what I can gather from him explaining that the "original" caps are physically leaking.

The "Correct" cap for replacement which has been authorized by Klipsch is the TI brand polyester capacitors sold by JEM.

IMO...

• Like 2

• Klipsch Employees
1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

Nothing wrong buying from authorized Klipsch parts supplier but come on guys they are just a film polyester capacitor. There is really no magic in a brand name when it comes to something as simple as a capacitor. This topic of capacitors seems to dominate the debate of restoring a klipsch speaker. I am sure Klipsch has changed brands of capacitors many times in the products. Price is probably the dominate driving force on which brand to buy. The specs of a brand name capacitor is going to be much the same as most techs already know. At least the ones that can read a spec sheet. The film sheet used to make a capacitor is just a few to begin with and they are the ones all brands buy from. 

Buy authorized parts for our speakers if anyone is not sure on what to buy. Still no guarantee you will like what you hear. 

And once again the point is missed on what the network is supposed to do......

• Like 1

• Moderators

Good grief.

So here's the deal, there is one, and currently only one, Klipsch Authorized network replacement parts/repair facility: JEM

You want to argue about parts, and all your other bullshit go somewhere else. 

Don't like it? I will put you in touch with Chief Bonehead and Artillary @Trey Cannon then you really won't like it.

• Like 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Sadie42 said:

Who is doing this? It reads like the only thing JEM really does is sell OEM capacitors. 

He met with Roy, and they developed kits to conform with original "transfer curves" so that what you are hearing conforms with the original design. Roy has mentioned it, JEM has mentioned it.

They spent time so that folks who wanted the real deal could have it

If you want fancy, pretty, cap da jour that sounds good to someone else's ears start a website and pitch it to your heart's content.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Sadie42 said:

I only wanted to know if they were a full service center. Based on things read in other sections of this bulletin board they only provide capacitors. There was no reason to be rude to me.  

Call or email  Jim @JEM and find out if he can handle what you need. He has posted his email and phone number in here on how to contact him.

16 minutes ago, Klipschguy said:

Nice work! The networks look great. How do they sound??

I did one of side and did a Left/Right test before completing the other. The difference/improvement was astonishing! I asked my wife (a non-audiophile) to come and listen. I asked if she could hear the difference, old vs new capacitors. She did. I asked her to describe what she heard and she said, "It's like you took the blanket off one side." A simply eloquent and appropo explanation.

Its hard to find the words to describe the improvement... think better... imaging, definition, clarity, crispness, purity, staging, etc.

Thank you Jim (JEM Performance Audio)! PJK would defintely approve!

Now back to the Cornwalls... listening to Cat Steven's - Tea for the Tillermann (Remastered 2020) streaming 24-bit/192khz, FLAC. Lovin it!

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Ok, Now, I’m interested in recapping my two different pair of Cornwall I’s. One set are Decorators from 1975 and the others are oiled Birch from 1983. You have me interested in the JEM Performance Audio, but I’m in Arkansas, and Crites is 90 minutes away. I’m old school, so id like to keep them as original as possible. I’m never soldered anything before. Should I mail them to be done. Can I learn easy enough without burning a hole through a woofer? Thoughts? Thanks , David

27 minutes ago, David s said:

Ok, Now, I’m interested in recapping my two different pair of Cornwall I’s. One set are Decorators from 1975 and the others are oiled Birch from 1983. You have me interested in the JEM Performance Audio, but I’m in Arkansas, and Crites is 90 minutes away. I’m old school, so id like to keep them as original as possible. I’m never soldered anything before. Should I mail them to be done. Can I learn easy enough without burning a hole through a woofer? Thoughts? Thanks , David

JEM sells parts for diy, @Deang builds crossovers using same parts.

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow Klipsch enthusiast!   

I’m the new owner of a pair of Cornwalls.  Actually the 3 owner.   I was told they were made in 78 and from all the research I’ve done, that looks to be about right.   After stumbling onto this thread, I’ve decided to recap the twins.   To me, right now, they sound muffled……missing something…..like a blanket is covering them.   

so I ordered the Dayton Audio caps from Parts Express.  They have a 1% tolerance and 250 volt capacity.    They should be here sometime this week and, maybe this coming weekend I’ll get them installed.   

I run the cornwalls with a carver M500t amp and C1 preamp.  The amp has been recapped and serviced, but the C1 has not, so that has me a little worried.   Just hope this works out.