Leben CS300F and Heresy's IV ?

Fasthenk65

Hi you all, I waited a while to respond because my gear is not an exact match to the OP's question.

I own 1972 Heresies and the original Leben CS300, of which the original Sovtek tubes were replaced with their Gold Lion equivalents. I still have the original tubes, but haven't used them.

I listen a lot to vinyl, CDs and Spotify through a streamer. Check my signature for the details.

For vinyl, depending on the record, I dial the Bass Boost  +3dB or +5dB, in order to increase the low frequencies a bit. For the rest, I leave it at 0.

As for volume, Heresies are highly sensitive, so with 12 Watt I have more than enough decibels to fill my 10m x 5m living area. I have never gone higher than 12 o'clock.

As for sound quality, I get a very analogue sound, even from digital sources.

The thing I had to get used to is this:  my Leben and Heresies make good recordings shine, no matter what the carrier is, and they are very unforgiving for bad recordings. Sometimes I think 'Really, so bad' and I must force myself to put in one of my reference albums (eg Dire Straits) to make sure my system is ok, and then I get back to the album I was originally listening to and must conclude that it's really that bad.

Some will argue that a 12 watt Leben is best for acoustic music (baroque, jazz, folk...) and less suited for for symphonic rock, classical symphonies etc. But I'm not sure that's right. I have some albums that are complex and still sound really good.

There are some 'limitations' you have to be aware of: there is no easy way to connect a subwoofer, and the Leben doesn't have bass/treble dials. Some people like this.

The Leben gets really warm. You need to leave enough space to ventilate.

IMG_20210216_150041.jpg

8 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

Hi you all, I waited a while to respond because my gear is not an exact match to the OP's question.

I own 1972 Heresies and the original Leben CS300, of which the original Sovtek tubes were replaced with their Gold Lion equivalents. I still have the original tubes, but haven't used them.

I listen a lot to vinyl, CDs and Spotify through a streamer. Check my signature for the details.

For vinyl, depending on the record, I dial the Bass Boost  +3dB or +5dB, in order to increase the low frequencies a bit. For the rest, I leave it at 0.

As for volume, Heresies are highly sensitive, so with 12 Watt I have more than enough decibels to fill my 10m x 5m living area. I have never gone higher than 12 o'clock.

As for sound quality, I get a very analogue sound, even from digital sources.

The thing I had to get used to is this:  my Leben and Heresies make good recordings shine, no matter what the carrier is, and they are very unforgiving for bad recordings. Sometimes I think 'Really, so bad' and I must force myself to put in one of my reference albums (eg Dire Straits) to make sure my system is ok, and then I get back to the album I was originally listening to and must conclude that it's really that bad.

Some will argue that a 12 watt Leben is best for acoustic music (baroque, jazz, folk...) and less suited for for symphonic rock, classical symphonies etc. But I'm not sure that's right. I have some albums that are complex and still sound really good.

There are some 'limitations' you have to be aware of: there is no easy way to connect a subwoofer, and the Leben doesn't have bass/treble dials. Some people like this.

The Leben gets really warm. You need to leave enough space to ventilate.

IMG_20210216_150041.jpg

NICE!